Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

beco wrote: »
    Where is Kermit the frog???

Out making snow frogs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AndiG

Had the warm front move through Wexford about an hour ago. Temp went to 0, snow turned to rain/sleet. Temp now back to -2 & snow again. I'm at the coast in gorey

• Registered Users Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

To be honest I highly doubt anything falling is rain. Dublin airport reporting snow grains at 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

Wind has really picked up in Grand Canal in the past 30 minutes. Kind of an eerie silence. No snow for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Temple Bar still pretty busy, only a few cobbles still visible. One man walking his bike since cycling it is probably impossible atm

https://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=templebar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Doyler99

Very fine powdery snow, coming down in heaps in Dublin 16 with decent accumulations. Hopefully this is just the starter before the main course later on tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Claire6

The road which had thawed outside my house is basically all white again in Cork City. Sign of things to come? :D

All the roads that were slush where I am (south side) have frozen. Definite drop in temp I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

Heavy fine snow and very strong winds for past hour and a half here in Tara, Meath. A few cms added so close to 17/18 cm now. Snow drifting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Madness. Proper snow in Dublin 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    I'm in D18 too, absolutely not rain here, the roads have turned white after being slush all day

Absolutely Rain here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Gaoth knows his apple from his oranges ;);););)
    What's falling here anyway seems like wet sleet on your face but it's actually very fine snow grains, which are the like the frozen form of drizzle. Formed because the upper layers (higher than 850 hPa) have warmed since yesterday, limiting convection to a fairly shallow layer.

Warnings of heavy snow out now for the two Dublin airports and Cork. Don't remember seeing these before.

EIDW AD WRNG 03 VALID 011800/020600 SNOW HVY > 10CM FCST =
    EIME AD WRNG 04 VALID 011800/020600 SNOW HVY > 10CM FCST =
    EICK AD WRNG 03 VALID 011700/020600 SNOW HVY > 10CM FCST =

Shannon has a warning for 3-5 cm.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

spookwoman wrote: »
    Can second that.

Keep the faith people... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,037 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

irishfeen wrote: »
    Very strange here in Cork - front coming in from the south with light snow but for all the world outside the snow seems to be blowing from the north .... WTF??
    It was said that it would hook around to the west so maybe that's why it seems like from the north. I've no idea what's happening on the south side of the city but I can't see it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

greenpilot wrote: »
    Ballaghaderreen Area:

Bright and sunny all day. Temps didnt get above -1. Calm until about 2 hours ago. Tiny amount of snow fell a couple of days ago, but none since then. All businesses closed today at 1pm, which was odd considering the almost perfect, and quite normal winter weather we are having. Farmers and Urban customers of ours scratching their heads bewilderment at the National Red warning all day. It is almost like the East coast is on an entirely different planet. Work closed today purely for insurance reasons. Basically if anyone had an accident during the Red Warning, either travelling to work or in work, you can guarantee the insurance firms would not cover you. Just in from a walk with the dog. A bit windy, but no snow. In fact, the temps have risen a bit. Looking at the charts, It is doubtful we are going to get anything tonight or tomorrow.
    As some folks here are saying, due to the overkill on the warnings, they have a danger of not being heeded going forward.

Gas thing is I'm in the same county (south Ros) and we have 7 inches of snow outside my back door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

There is a vicious wind at the moment in Malahide... very fine snow but sticking everywhere... and the real storm has yet to come :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Very strange here in Cork - front coming in from the south with light snow but for all the world outside the snow seems to be blowing from the north .... WTF??
    It's been like that last 2 days easterly winds but blowing from the North....I honestly don't know why

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Calibos wrote: »
    Forget about whether it will turn to rain tomorrow on the south coast. Can anyone explain why reports are starting to come in from some boardies that rain is falling. Cobh in Cork and Walkinstown in Dublin are two examples?

Dark Sky earlier was saying rain would fall. I asked about that on these forums and it was thought that it would be snow, not rain. The snow is very fine. Maybe people think they are seeing rain?
    Feels like rain but its a strange frozen type that coats the surfaces. With that said it does need to turn to something beefier if its going to lead to anything accumulating.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,037 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It was said that it would hook around to the west so maybe that's why it seems like from the north. I've no idea what's happening on the south side of the city but I can't see it now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The wind is coming from the North East.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Creative83 wrote: »
    There is a vicious wind at the moment in Malahide... very fine snow but sticking everywhere... and the real storm has yet to come :eek:

I opened the window there to maybe halfway and it shot out of my hand

Amazed it didn't come off it's hinges. No more fleece-based precipitation tests for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Back to the fine snow in Dublin 5. I'm amused by how excellently it's sticking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Nice steady fall of snow in Greystones this last half hour

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Claire6

Steopo wrote: »
    Not often you see this !!

r8cpkp.png

What does the red indicate? Cold temp / snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

If Siobhan Ryans latest forecast is anything to go by we will very soon be getting that and a lot more besides.

I believe it when I see it, right now it's not even 0 degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Just had a look out the door in Sandymount D4.

Its not snow but it looks like freezing rain. Its not melting the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Anybody doing a timelapse?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

sdanseo wrote: »
    I opened the window there to maybe halfway and it shot out of my hand

Amazed it didn't come off it's hinges. No more fleece-based precipitation tests for me!
    Jesus you'd of had a bigger problem on your hands if that had happened :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Back to the fine snow in Dublin 5. I'm amused by how excellently it's sticking!!
    That's growzel for you:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

ZeroSum76 wrote: »
    Feels like rain but its a strange frozen type that coats the surfaces. With that said it does need to turn to something beefier if its going to lead to anything accumulating.

Yeah, it’s been snowing all day here but there’s been no further accumulations in the last 12 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    The wind is coming from the North East.

Now see thinking about it that makes sense :)

Advertisement