Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

It is strange that the 'rain' has managed to cover the car tracks that were visible 30 minutes ago!
    Could be that "white rain" from russia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

eigrod wrote: »
    Nice steady fall of snow in Greystones this last half hour

Huh? Just on your house, is it? Nothing here. In Greystones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

The red warning has been extended to 6pm tomorrow by Met Eireann for Southern and Eastern counties with 1cm of snow expected in some parts of Wicklow. Going by that it looks like this weather event is going to be worse than what they predicted. The lovely Siobhan Ryan said that it now looks like records are going to be broken regarding the amount of snow that is going to fall in some areas and that this a weather event we most likely won't see again for many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Super fine snow in Turners Cross, Cork. Wind seems to have eased completely. Any reports are saying not supposed to hit here for another hour... so making the most of having electricity and charging everything and anything just in case!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Stuck a black sleeve out the window and it's the finest/smallest white stuff I've ever seen.

In fact if you bagged it, the notorious might be interested in buying it.

I think we'd all be interested...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Enough snizzle has now fallen to whiten the paths - mid Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

Jimjay wrote: »
    Very fine snow in wicklow town near the coast. Not rain. Had nothing and now the ground has fine dusting of white. Its very light and getting blown around.
    Here's hoping the frozen rain stuff turns to some snowflakes. We have been waiting for a week now at this stage! When is the real precip expected to hit Wicklow anyone hazard a guess?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    More chance of a threesome with Scarlet Johansson and Charlize Theron than snow washed away by the morn considering what's to come later

350.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    There is a wind blowing. It's not that calm.

Not where I am, I always can hear the wind from my bedroom, I honestly can hear nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

delly wrote: »
    Report from Drogheda is very heavy winds and what I think is snow, but appears very light. When it hits the window it appears as rain or water, yet the areas of the ground that have been walked on are filling back up.
    Much snow on the ground? I live in Drogheda but am currently visiting sick family in Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

When is supposed to turn into big wet flakes that actually accumulate. It'll take longer than 24 hours for the snow dust that blowing in the gale force winds to accumulate into 1 foot nevermind 1 meter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

People think that the Government are lying yet the storm isn't even near Ireland yet. The red warning is up until 6pm tomorrow for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

RustyGate wrote: »
    Not possible to carry on as normal, as everything has been closed due to red alert - businesses, shops, pharmacies, even petrol stations, today on south Dublin which until this evening has been effectively just for a few flurries and a manageable amount of lying snow from Tuesday night. Tonight into tomorrow the warning is justified, but before this evening, completely OTT in my opinion. We Irish, according to relatives abroad, are 'far too fragile' when it comes to these things. The last day or two the authorities have been treating the snow so far as if it was radioactive fallout.

They were warned that there was to be dangerous weather coming.
    They all made the call to close.

Your relatives abroad are talking out of their backsides. They most likely don't appreciate the amount of government effort that goes into making life go on in similar conditions.

The authorities are not treating snow anything like it was radioactive fallout. They are treating potentially very heavy snow, unusually low temperatures and strong winds as a risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

This is very strange my sitting room window has drips running down it as if its lashing rain and then my roof light which previously was only half covered in snow is now fully covered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,610 ✭✭✭eigrod

I'm near Church Lane and it's most definitely snowing and it's most definitely sticking. Car and path covered again having been clear an hour ago.

joes girls wrote: »
    Help needed, how do I keep my sensor light on. Have tried hanging things out of it but they keep blowing away. I'm wearing away the floor walking to the switch to flick it on:D

Put a sign underneath light:

"Stand here for your chance to win 1 Million Euro"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

More seriously, is there an artifact in the netweather radar page blocking coverage over south dublin/north wicklow?

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

Been some suspicious straight edges showing up on that map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Not possible to carry on as normal, as everything has been closed due to red alert - businesses, shops, pharmacies, even petrol stations, today on south Dublin which until this evening has been effectively just for a few flurries and a manageable amount of lying snow from Tuesday night. Tonight into tomorrow the warning is justified, but before this evening, completely OTT in my opinion. We Irish, according to relatives abroad, are 'far too fragile' when it comes to these things. The last day or two the authorities have been treating the snow so far as if it was radioactive fallout.
    and if the weather system sped up as it very easily could have done and the heavy snow came at 5pm rather than 9pm, YOU and people like you would be whining that not enough warning was given.

I've a business - we closed yesterday and we'll reopen Saturday. It was nigh on impossible to get to it yesterday (kildare). I'm not risking staff safety for the sake of a few hours trading and I'd rather err on the cautious side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

turned up a notch again...not a full on white out but getting there. Very gusty with poor visibility. Impossible to quantify the amount of fresh snowfall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Enough snizzle has now fallen to whiten the paths - mid Limerick

Hope to get out for a run tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭lolie

beco wrote: »
    Where is Kermit the frog???

With all the snow he was reporting at his location maybe he succumbed to the weather.

original?width=375&version=2187784

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I've just driven from Wicklow to Greystones in the last half hour and I can confirm it is snowing heavily in Greystones now. Tiny flakes, but not as dry as the stuff that was falling yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Super fine snow in Turners Cross, Cork. Wind seems to have eased completely. Any reports are saying not supposed to hit here for another hour... so making the most of having electricity and charging everything and anything just in case!

I’m here too.
    Trees outside are stationary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    People think that the Government are lying yet the storm isn't even near Ireland yet. The red warning is up until 6pm tomorrow for a reason.

Just a poor forecast mixed with a lot of hype and much wishful thinking. A couople of cms of snow maybe overnight.
    Nothing to see here.

Mod Note

please no more reports on this one , another one bites the dust

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

leahyl wrote: »
    Not where I am, I always can hear the wind from my bedroom, I honestly can hear nothing.

Not in city centre either. Wind can be very localised though.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

The freezing rain in Clonmel seems to have now turned into that weird tiny ice crystal snow people are talking about, with occasional flurries of bigger flakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭caviardreams

N11 was totally clear, black tarmac, a few hours ago, no slush or anything. Now there is a thick white covering everywhere - a car just had a bit of a wobble. Definitely to be avoided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I agree while the warning might be correct for what is to come but to effectively scare the people into a shelter in place as of 1500 this afternoon is just overkill.

People who even sporadically get snow started laughing at us telling them we need to close shop now.

Sure, it might get bad tonight but it's now hours after the government tells me it's too dangerous for me to be out.

They need to get better with this forecasting thing because when it comes around next time people are going to ignore it and when it than is correct, possibly die.

Incompetence all around as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

I think that's what's confusing people, looking out you'd think it was raining,try going out in it and it's a different story. It's like needles of ice blowing in the wind.

Exactly the same stuff falling here in Kinsale in south Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

So frustrating watching the radar from mayo last few days. To miss out on this historic event is really tough to take. Hoping that the system shifts its course enough to bring some our way.

Advertisement