Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Sparks wrote: »
    More seriously, is there an artifact in the netweather radar page blocking coverage over south dublin/north wicklow?

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

Been some suspicious straight edges showing up on that map.

Netweather doesn't use the Dublin radar (in their free version anyway), so when there's heavy precip in between Dublin and Belfast it impedes the view of the Belfast radar and causes artificial gaps like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Huh? Just on your house, is it? Nothing here. In Greystones.

Yeh it's basically just raining in Greystones

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Insane wind in D14..little tiny ice particles nearly flying horizontally

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Unbelievable accumulation in the last 2 hours (Sandyford)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

eigrod wrote: »
    I'm near Church Lane and it's most definitely snowing and it's most definitely sticking. Car and path covered again having been clear an hour ago.

So am I.. Starting to look a little snizzly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 novemberbravo

Still raining in Dublin 18 :( Might check in on this thread later when the "rain deniers" could to grips with reality. Happy hunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

glack wrote: »
    Much snow on the ground? I live in Drogheda but am currently visiting sick family in Mayo.

Plenty. Even in the town centre

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

patneve2 wrote: »
    turned up a notch again...not a full on white out but getting there. Very gusty with poor visibility. Impossible to quantify the amount of fresh snowfall.

Similar here in Dublin 16, and accumulating relatively quickly. -1.1c atm.

I have just declared on the technical thread that I believe this to be the real deal!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Not a word from Kermit!
    Nothing from MT!
    Like seriously, what are we paying them for??

Oh, and i would hate to be a mod on this page, on this night. So many posts per minute - they cant even take a quick break and look out the window at it all unfold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

N11 was totally clear, black tarmac, a few hours ago, no slush or anything. Now there is a thick white covering everywhere - a car just had a bit of a wobble. Definitely to be avoided.

Where abouts on the N11?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The"rain" that I posted about whilst in my "troll costume" appears to be crystal meth type quality. Small broken bits of ice. It actually resembles a shattered windscreen!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

glack wrote: »
    Much snow on the ground? I live in Drogheda but am currently visiting sick family in Mayo.

Yes, most of it came overnight, but I'd say 4 to 6 inches in the garden depending on drift.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The radar has us completely covered in precipitation but only the finest of snizzle floating in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

The freezing rain in Clonmel seems to have now turned into that weird tiny ice crystal snow people are talking about, with occasional flurries of bigger flakes.

Yeah there's definitely more moisture in the air tonight compared to the powdery snow that was falling last night.
    It is now blowing almost horizontal to the ground so there's a bit of wind blowing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

same in galway now surreal not snow like ice needles!

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

I didn't notice any snow in the last few hours but there is a light dusting of snow over the car tracks and where a thaw occurred earlier. Im guessing it must be very light snow because I've had the blinds open all evening and saw nothing

What colour are the stones?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Not a word from Kermit!
    Nothing from MT!
    Like seriously, what are we paying them for??

Oh, and i would hate to be a mod on this page, on this night. So many posts per minute - they cant even take a quick break and look out the window at it all unfold.

I gave up on this thread on Tuesday, can't keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Very fine snow and a hauling gale in Portmarnock. I just popped my head out the door.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Still raining in Dublin 18 :( Might check in on this thread later when the "rain deniers" could to grips with reality. Happy hunting!

You need to go do the fleece test and see what lands on your arm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭greasepalm

wakka12 wrote: »
    This is very strange my sitting room window has drips running down it as if its lashing rain and then my roof light which previously was only half covered in snow is now fully covered

difference in air temp inside and outside will give plenty of drips running down on inside of glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Claire6 wrote: »
    What does the red indicate? Cold temp / snow?

It's the European site for alerting for Extreme Weather (http://www.meteoalarm.eu/). They're giving Ireland a Red alert for snow. Red is the highest alert level and their definition is:

"The weather is very dangerous. Exceptionally intense meteorological phenomena have been forecast. Major damage and accidents are likely, in many cases with threat to life and limb, over a wide area. Keep frequently informed about detailed expected meteorological conditions and risks. Follow orders and any advice given by your authorities under all circumstances, be prepared for extraordinary measures."

It's consistent with Met.ie but just rare to see Ireland & UK standing out with Red warnings. Not sure the yellow shade around the coasts indicates they expect snizzle/drizzle on the coastal edges but time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

Plenty. Even in the town centre

Driving up constitution hill must be fun!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Incompetence all around as usual.

That is nonsense.
    We do not have the infrastructure to handle this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

HighLine wrote: »
    Where abouts on the N11?

Stillorgan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Good old rain in D7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I agree while the warning might be correct for what is to come but to effectively scare the people into a shelter in place as of 1500 this afternoon is just overkill.

People who even sporadically get snow started laughing at us telling them we need to close shop now.

Sure, it might get bad tonight but it's now hours after the government tells me it's too dangerous for me to be out.

They need to get better with this forecasting thing because when it comes around next time people are going to ignore it and when it than is correct, possibly die.

Incompetence all around as usual.

Yeah we need to get better forecasting the weather.

In Ireland.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    You need to go do the fleece test and see what lands on your arm.

A Sheep? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Baraics Pollox

Extremely windy with light snow in D5. The previously watery snow that was melting on the outside of the window has started to freeze in place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

It definitely isn't rain. It's very fine snow, and it's sticking very easily, but it looks like rain against the streetlights until you see it up close.

Advertisement