Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Baraics Pollox

There's a dimly lit grass area beyond my back garden that my road backs onto.

Someone built a massive snowman facing back towards the houses. Seriously sinister looking git; been glaring back at me every time I check on the snow progress.

Could swear he's moving closer by the hour...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

DOCARCH wrote: »
    In the main Rathfarnham to Ballinteer/Dundrum and extending up to the Dublin Mountains.

You forgot Knocklyon :p

I think they were asking where in Dublin 16 are you btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

For those interested Siobhans forecast has been uploaded onto RTE player. There was a link earlier but that wasn't the 6 O'Clock forecast

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/weather-30003847/10846131/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

wakka12 wrote: »
    Yeh I don't like it, its too marginal. I want big fluffy undeniably snowy goodness

The big fluffy stuff is actually the marginal snow. Wet snow is large and fluffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

antodeco wrote: »
    The"rain" that I posted about whilst in my "troll costume" appears to be crystal meth type quality. Small broken bits of ice. It actually resembles a shattered windscreen!

Actually, crystal meth is the best way to describe what is currently falling here in Kinsale!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

The last few gusts in Dundrum/Ballinteer have looked much "whiter", as if the wind is now starting to carry some heavier precipitation than the fine snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

A good 3cm here already.

-0.9C

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Yes I could post a similar bent snowman - wonder what that's about.

back breaking work standing around doing nothing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭easyvision

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    About 2cm fallen in the last hour in D18 even though it's the small fine snow, going to be massive amounts here by the morning!

I hope so :))))

• Registered Users Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Ice pellets here in Wexico, whatever ice pellets are!!!

1z1e3a1.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Rochestown, Co Cork. Neither raining nor snowing. Nothing happening.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

First snow of the day here in Killarney, although very light still.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

Absolutely bucketing down in Dublin 15...tons and of small graupel.....huge snowfall...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

d'Oracle wrote: »
    That is nonsense.
    We do not have the infrastructure to handle this weather.

I have a weather app on my phone that does excellent forecasting from various sources and it's astonishing reliable in their forecast. When that thing tells me it rains in 5 minutes it rains in 5 minutes, yet our official government weather agency can't do correct forecasting and is off by hours?

As to your point about the country not having the infrastructure, well giving where the climate is going what do you call that? This type of weather is not a surprise, it was clear that we are screwed when it comes to the weather pattern.

Telling people to shelter in place as of 1500 today until 1800 tomorrow is fine if it would ring true, but right now for the last hours there is not even wind here.

I expect the snow at around 2200 because that's when my app forecasts it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

A week ago I said
    "Me, personally, I like all things that are a bit odd or a bit strange. I like it when a squirrel runs through my garden. I like thunderstorms, lazy sun first thing in the morning and the first crunch of leaves.

I like standing in the seaweed with my toes wiggling. I like the last part of my drink as it's where the good bits accumulate. I lick my finger to dig out the last bit of flavour from the corner of the peanut packet.

Most of all I like to listen to snow falling. That's a really special one. Where I live is quiet enough and on very rare occasions snowy enough to actually hear each individual snowflake carelessly rest on his cousins at the end of their journey. When you hear that you know the next day you revert to 8 year old you. The kid that cared a little less, the kid that refuses to put his jacket on, the kid that knew how to have a little fun."

I'm stuck in Birmingham Airport till Sunday night while my kids are at home, prepped and ready for whatever comes.

So gutted to be missing this.

Enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Nothing in the Southside of Cork City.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Short video of the conditions in Meath earlier. These were the sort of winds that were creating 2-3 foot drifts. Half expecting some wildlings and a giant wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

What’s with the ME radar showing a big band of precipitation over Cork City and it’s bone dry

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭RustyGate

d'Oracle wrote: »
    They were warned that there was to be dangerous weather coming.
    They all made the call to close.

Your relatives abroad are talking out of their backsides. They most likely don't appreciate the amount of government effort that goes into making life go on in similar conditions.

The authorities are not treating snow anything like it was radioactive fallout. They are treating potentially very heavy snow, unusually low temperatures and strong winds as a risk.

Point is the red alert has being going on for two days now, and that weather is still only just arriving. And it's that period I have a problem with. We all got through 2009 and 2010 without this blanket closure nonsense for a regular cold spell. Tonight is something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭spookwoman

RustyGate wrote: »
    Not possible to carry on as normal, as everything has been closed due to red alert - businesses, shops, pharmacies, even petrol stations, today on south Dublin which until this evening has been effectively just for a few flurries and a manageable amount of lying snow from Tuesday night. Tonight into tomorrow the warning is justified, but before this evening, completely OTT in my opinion. We Irish, according to relatives abroad, are 'far too fragile' when it comes to these things. The last day or two the authorities have been treating the snow so far as if it was radioactive fallout.
    Yesterdays ulsterbank was closed while all the other banks were open. Brother had an emergency and needed to put money into the bank to pay for something and he couldn't.
    Not enough money in the post offices for pensions , heard one old man was in tears because he didn't have money for food!
    If this is climate change this type of weather is going to become more frequent and we can't shut the island down each time due to snow.
    People are entitled to an opinion and we heard on the news some areas are clear so who can really say it is dangerous to go out in the clear areas. Agreed Its up to people to assess and make their own minds up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Ice pellets for the night or will it turn to snow?
    North wex

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

Darling you got to let me know 🎵
    Is it rain or is it snow? 🎵
    If you say that it's too fine 🎵
    I'll be disappointed like 2009 🎵

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Rain has stopped in D13, but went outside and the snow is melting like you wouldn't believe.

If it snows heavy will the fresh snow be able to settle on the melting snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

I cannot see any schools open in Dublin on Monday either.

Cork and the South will be fine as lots of rain is forecast down there but not for Dublin and further North. Snow for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

A good way to test whether you're seeing rain is to check vertical surfaces that are at outdoor temps. For example I just checked our back fence which is directly facing the oncoming precip and both the wood and the concrete posts were bone dry. So it's definitely frozen something.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Wind picking up in cork city now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Things really starting to deteriorate here in North Cork - snow is progressively getting heavier and heavier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    The radar has us completely covered in precipitation but only the finest of snizzle floating in the air.

Same for waterford, what's going on their ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Still raining in Dublin 18 :( Might check in on this thread later when the "rain deniers" could to grips with reality. Happy hunting!

I'm denying rain for my part because there is no rain. As I said, these tiny snow particles are superb at accumulating here, i would say a got three additional centimetres have fallen here since the fine snow began falling.

Advertisement