Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Anyone that is getting sleet ot freezing rain don't panic, started like that here in Southeast Wexford, but we have snow now and loads of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

For those interested Siobhans forecast has been uploaded onto RTE player. There was a link earlier but that wasn't the 6 O'Clock forecast

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/weather-30003847/10846131/

She demands flash, seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭henke

I have a weather app on my phone that does excellent forecasting from various sources and it's astonishing reliable in their forecast. When that thing tells me it rains in 5 minutes it rains in 5 minutes, yet our official government weather agency can't do correct forecasting and is off by hours?

As to your point about the country not having the infrastructure, well giving where the climate is going what do you call that? This type of weather is not a surprise, it was clear that we are screwed when it comes to the weather pattern.

Telling people to shelter in place as of 1500 today until 1800 tomorrow is fine if it would ring true, but right now for the last hours there is not even wind here.

I expect the snow at around 2200 because that's when my app forecasts it.
    What is the app out of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I have a weather app on my phone that does excellent forecasting from various sources and it's astonishing reliable in their forecast. When that thing tells me it rains in 5 minutes it rains in 5 minutes, yet our official government weather agency can't do correct forecasting and is off by hours?

As to your point about the country not having the infrastructure, well giving where the climate is going what do you call that? This type of weather is not a surprise, it was clear that we are screwed when it comes to the weather pattern.

Telling people to shelter in place as of 1500 today until 1800 tomorrow is fine if it would ring true, but right now for the last hours there is not even wind here.

I expect the snow at around 2200 because that's when my app forecasts it.

They weren’t off by miles. You are confusing the forecasts with today’s red warning. The idea was to give people time to go home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Still sleeting in Carlow/ Wexford border area. Temperature has held at a steady -1.5 degrees since about 1530. Was -3 degrees most of morning. Hmmmmmm...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Are we expecting more heavy snow in Kildare now, or has Emma been downgraded? Just trying to catch up, and people earlier were talking about rain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

How likely is this to fall in South East Kerry as Snow or will it fall as rain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

For those interested Siobhans forecast has been uploaded onto RTE player. There was a link earlier but that wasn't the 6 O'Clock forecast

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/weather-30003847/10846131/

Its the little swirl at the end that makes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

henke wrote: »
    What is the app out of interest?

DarkSky Premium with API access.

Served me well even in rural Ireland or the mids of a Thai jungle.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

leahyl wrote: »
    What’s with the ME radar showing a big band of precipitation over Cork City and it’s bone dry

I know, weird :/

• Advertisement

So when is it expected to turn to regular thick snow again? This has been going on for about an hour now.

Is this all about warmer air meeting colder air?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

irishfeen wrote: »
    Things really starting to deteriorate here in North Cork - snow is progressively getting heavier and heavier :)

How are you getting snow and Cork City isn’t - isn’t the system coming from the south?! I’m confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭kegg

A few flakeens now in castlebar. More like tiny ice crystals than flakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Kiith wrote: »
    Are we expecting more heavy snow in Kildare now, or has Emma been downgraded? Just trying to catch up, and people earlier were talking about rain.

No, the worst hasn't even come yet.

joes girls wrote: »
    Anyone that is getting sleet ot freezing rain don't panic, started like that here in Southeast Wexford, but we have snow now and loads of it.

I had snow for the last 24 hrs now i have slush-puppie- what say you on that?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

No, the worst hasn't even come yet.

Ah this should be fun :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

How are you getting snow and Cork City isn’t - isn’t the system coming from the south?! I’m confused!

We are at 190m ASL so that could have an awful lot to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

My Thermometer is reading -6, Winds now have reached gale force with light snow and powder snow blowing around

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

What’s with the ME radar showing a big band of precipitation over Cork City and it’s bone dry

Well we are getting plenty of precipitation 15 miles down the road here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Its colder the further inland id say

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Kiith wrote: »

No downgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I just heard a big gust of wind and then what sounded like a thousands skittles being thrown against my back wall , sure aint rain :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

ch750536 wrote: »
    A week ago I said
    "Me, personally, I like all things that are a bit odd or a bit strange. I like it when a squirrel runs through my garden. I like thunderstorms, lazy sun first thing in the morning and the first crunch of leaves.

I like standing in the seaweed with my toes wiggling. I like the last part of my drink as it's where the good bits accumulate. I lick my finger to dig out the last bit of flavour from the corner of the peanut packet.

Most of all I like to listen to snow falling. That's a really special one. Where I live is quiet enough and on very rare occasions snowy enough to actually hear each individual snowflake carelessly rest on his cousins at the end of their journey. When you hear that you know the next day you revert to 8 year old you. The kid that cared a little less, the kid that refuses to put his jacket on, the kid that knew how to have a little fun."

I'm stuck in Birmingham Airport till Sunday night while my kids are at home, prepped and ready for whatever comes.

So gutted to be missing this.

Enjoy it!

Wow now that's a post and a half. Romantic stuff! Should be a song! It made me think of Kate Bushes album "50 words for snow" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Very fine stuff very poor visibility

When are the dinner plates arriving?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Snow falling in north Cork now and heavy :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

My only fear is that all the snow maps have a big hole in them on the South Kildare/Carlow border, exactly where I live.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

jamesbere wrote: »
    Its colder the further inland id say

-2.4 DegC at 190m ASL here in North Cork with snow now getting heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Yes I could post a similar bent snowman - wonder what that's about.

He probably just needs an injection of something similar to your nick to get him back on track. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

My back garden is sheltered and there's almost 3 cm there from nothing earlier where I swept it away. Parts out front have no snow as the wind picks it up and blows it away. Where it's settling though, it's starting to pile up. Could be epic down here in Wexford by tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

My Thermometer is reading -6, Winds now have reached gale force with light snow and powder snow blowing around

I love the usernames in here. 'Blizzard2010', 'SnownSleet', and 'snow guy'or whatever.

Advertisement