Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Very fine stuff very poor visibility

When are the dinner plates arriving?

Dinner plates here in Stepaside.
    Wife went out for bread in local Dunnes but there was none, so she picked up a set of delph!!!

Fine snow here, but has really accumulated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I know it's snow but are the big water droplets on the window bugging anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Can’t speak for all of D9 but while blustery and tiny pellets there is no new accumulation where I live. Still melted patches on paths and cars clear. Wind blowing everything around but nothing settling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Pentecost

That fine stuff coming down fairly freely in D6W. Definitely not rain as it’s covered the road again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Amprodude wrote: »
    Snow falling in north Cork now and heavy :)

What part of Cork and more importantly how close to Kerry are you? I've only seen a very light dusting so far in the last half an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

I swear I think its raining here in clondalkin 😭 very fine but still rain

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

RustyGate wrote: »
    Point is the red alert has being going on for two days now, and that weather is still only just arriving. And it's that period I have a problem with. We all got through 2009 and 2010 without this blanket closure nonsense for a regular cold spell. Tonight is something different.

No the red alert yesterday is different from the one for today and different again to the one for tonight.

You seem to think that somebody made these people close up. They didn't. they made their decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

d'Oracle wrote: »
    That is nonsense.
    We do not have the infrastructure to handle this weather.

What infrastructure really though?

To keep cars and transport moving on the roads the main thing is to mandate winter tyres say Oct to April. Those are generally better than summer tyres even in just cold wet weather. There are also credible four season tyres that would be legit in Germany/Canada as winter tyres (e.g. I have Michelin Cross Climates, have had Hankook Optimieren 4S too and they were good).

I'm not out driving though as I know almost nobody else has proper tyres for the conditions.

Long run, the extra cost is just an extra set of steel rims. No extra tyre cost since you spread the wear across two sets of tyres.

To keep footpaths clear, each house needs a brush and a snow shovel. In German towns you are responsible to shovel a track in front of your house wide enough for pedestrian to pass. With flats/apartments there's a rota so depending on luck someone gets job to shovel. If you don't do it there's a first e since now the council has to clear paths.

We've invested already in some ploughing and salt/grit plant. However, many parts of Germany don't get much more snow than we do but manage fine (e.g. NRW, definitely not every year that e.g . Münster has heavy snow, and many roads are not ploughed when it does happen).

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

leahyl wrote: »
    What’s with the ME radar showing a big band of precipitation over Cork City and it’s bone dry

I'd just ignore the radars at this point. They've been faulty all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

They weren’t off by miles. You are confusing the forecasts with today’s red warning. The idea was to give people time to go home.

Not all of us have 5-hour commutes unless this was done specifically for TD's to go home.

Why issuing a warning to shelter at home from 1500 if the actual event is only now hitting in parts of the country.

There is no need to issue something like that so way out of the actual weather event, that is just covering their backside rather than providing reliable information.

I have no issue with a red alert, but a stay indoors as your life is in danger hours before the event is just stupid and in the long run, next time around people are not going to listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

Nothing yet to report in limerick city

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

No, the worst hasn't even come yet.

When is the worse due?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrMischief

Artane2002 wrote: »

I went out and cleaned the windows believe it or now - 5 mins later back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

The auld fella is infront of tv all day watching crap like tipping point +judge rinder on tv3-2 or what ever its called. He switched over to watch the news special on rte but switched back after 15mins, said nothing hapening yet.
    I wanted to watch the 6 o clock news he says its same as before +wudnt switch channels at at!
    Was the same attitude during Ophelia +the other winter snow+storms, totaly oblivious to whats goin on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrMischief

I went out and cleaned the windows believe it or now - 5 mins later back again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Loughc wrote: »
    When is the worse due?

After midnight most likely

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Definitely! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It's the heat from your house melting the flakes. Don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Maybe because wind coming from NE ?

Well i've had 24 hours of snow so (sorry) they're coming as a welcome relief. But so cold outside, no chance of snow-melt.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

In D15. There was that 'fine mist' for a while, with associated droplets on the windows... but it's snowing now (I think) and the bits of the road that weren't white during the day are white again now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

We have had little or no snow here today but starting to get a steady fall now.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Deenie78

I'm in Donaghmede, Dublin 13, went for a very quick 5 minute walk around the block to get a feel for the weather (a dare from my 79 year old Dad - don't ask!), it looks like quite fine snow but by the time I'd come back my footprints were covered, the wind would cut the face off you at times ... think I'll skip the 11pm stroll!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

patneve2 wrote: »
    After midnight most likely

Good thing i'm a night owl #lamppostwatching
    sryanbruen wrote: »
    Definitely! :mad:

Same, the rain really dampened the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭rafared

Misty fine rain droplets falling here in Drogheda now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

TV stations etc now starting to go. :(

Hi Emma.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Not far off a blizzard here.

-0.9C

Brilliant weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Taxedalot

Yes - me.

It's epic with the way it's being blown around and all, but going to take some amount of them to add up to a metre.

As someone else said, I want the dinner plate flakes - I want to see them being blown around!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

M50 at 5pm today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

My only fear is that all the snow maps have a big hole in them on the South Kildare/Carlow border, exactly where I live.

Carlow town here. That hole has me worried too and holding true on the radar too thus far!! :-\

http://m.met.ie/weather-rainfall-radar.aspx

Advertisement