Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

Very windy with fine snow in Citywest at the moment!

3NDYKVs.gif

JXhePTy.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

MrMischief wrote: »
    I went out and cleaned the windows believe it or now - 5 mins later back again.

Yes it's mental. Never seen anything like the color out there either.
    Was a wee nipper in 82". Glad my little fella is getting to witness this. Once in a lifetime stuff I reckon

Paully D wrote: »
    TV stations etc now starting to go. :(

Hi Emma.

Had some shaky electricals earlier but all good now- hope it holds out for you.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Just saw this fantastic series of tweets about what it takes to clear a city of snow. https://twitter.com/JudithFlanders/status/958072934396039168?s=19
    Specially for anyone giving out about Irish cities closing down after a few cms.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

What infrastructure really though?

To keep cars and transport moving on the roads the main thing is to mandate winter tyres say Oct to April. Those are generally better than summer tyres even in just cold wet weather. There are also credible four season tyres that would be legit in Germany/Canada as winter tyres (e.g. I have Michelin Cross Climates, have had Hankook Optimieren 4S too and they were good).

I'm not out driving though as I know almost nobody else has proper tyres for the conditions.

Long run, the extra cost is just an extra set of steel rims. No extra tyre cost since you spread the wear across two sets of tyres.

To keep footpaths clear, each house needs a brush and a snow shovel. In German towns you are responsible to shovel a track in front of your house wide enough for pedestrian to pass. With flats/apartments there's a rota so depending on luck someone gets job to shovel. If you don't do it there's a first e since now the council has to clear paths.

We've invested already in some ploughing and salt/grit plant. However, many parts of Germany don't get much more snow than we do but manage fine (e.g. NRW, definitely not every year that e.g . Münster has heavy snow, and many roads are not ploughed when it does happen).

OK fair enough.
    But if its not a question of infrastructure, then its not the fault of the state, ME or anyone else, its just people not having tyresets. Hardly national incompetence, is it?

I mean I don't need them, cos Im not driving anywhere.

• Advertisement

M50 at 5pm today

BEAUTIFULLLLLLLL:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::o

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

Kiith wrote: »
    Are we expecting more heavy snow in Kildare now, or has Emma been downgraded? Just trying to catch up, and people earlier were talking about rain.

No, the worst hasn't even come yet.
    Anyone care to stick out the neck and hazard a guess whether (a) thicker snow will materialise and/or (b) when it's expected (as in what kind of delta between the frozen crystal stuff vs snow that might lead to accumulation)? Personally I am in Wicklow Town beside the sea and amazed at the lack of any visible or cumulative precipitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The auld fella is infront of tv all day watching crap like tipping point +judge rinder on tv3-2 or what ever its called. He switched over to watch the news special on rte but switched back after 15mins, said nothing hapening yet.
    I wanted to watch the 6 o clock news he says its same as before +wudnt switch channels at at!
    Was the same attitude during Ophelia +the other winter snow+storms, totaly oblivious to whats goin on!!

How many tinnies has he had so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Quiet so far on South side of Cork city.

I’ve my camera setup to take time lapse photos throughout the night from 9PM to 7AM. Only capturing the road in my estate so nothing too exciting but hopefully I manage to capture some bit of Emma in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

LEIN wrote: »
    Not far off a blizzard here.

-0.9C

Brilliant weather!

Is it proper snow though? (not snow grains)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

Did you ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

No... but we are getting snow from the south

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgWn34Jo6MR-GXGGj9r-VW8_F5gfoFV8qZMRXSMWD4LisPmmGfLA

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Artane2002 wrote: »
    I know it's snow but are the big water droplets on the window bugging anyone?

Yes so much so that Ive investigated further because I thought there was a chance the blowing snow was mixing with rain and making us think it wasnt rain. But I went outside and theres little snow accumulations on individual plant leaves that had disappeared earlier in the thaw. If it were rain this wouldn't happen. I can now finally just relax and wait for the big snow to arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Ok this precip might need a new name! :p
    It's melted in sheltered windows but frozen again, creating patterns associated with fern frost! (snow btw in case anyone thinks I mean rain.).

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedmanDublin

Really poor showing so far here. Yesterday nothing really and today just speckles of stuff blowing around in the wind. I wouldn't even call it snow! I know elsewhere is getting hammered bit for me this is disappointing. Terrible in fact. Location - Loughlinstown

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

Just saw this fantastic series of tweets about what it takes to clear a city of snow. https://twitter.com/JudithFlanders/status/958072934396039168?s=19
    Specially for anyone giving out about Irish cities closing down after a few cms.

Sorry Judith,

Wrong country. Go back to school. This is Ireland not the UK.

Education in Canda not so good I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

M50 at 5pm today

Jaysus I've never seen it like that, amazing stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

To keep cars and transport moving on the roads the main thing is to mandate winter tyres say Oct to April.

Yes, that is a fine example.

Also having a professional driving school mandatory with good tests that are taking adverse weather conditions into considerations are another step.
    To keep footpaths clear, each house needs a brush and a snow shovel.

This morning on my way to work that would have been nice, but the country council could not even be bothered to clear the main road through town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Excellent thread

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bozharry1

Snowing here in Portlaoise now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Unreal in Naas now. Drifts are ever growing in back garden

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Lightning in Blanch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

M50 at 5pm today

A few of the lads are always complaining about the traffic jams on the M50 - looks fine to me, don't know why there whinging :D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Mod Note
    YOU HAVE HAD YOUR SAY ,PLEASE ALLOW THE THREAD TO MOVE ON

I agree while the warning might be correct for what is to come but to effectively scare the people into a shelter in place as of 1500 this afternoon is just overkill.

People who even sporadically get snow started laughing at us telling them we need to close shop now.

Sure, it might get bad tonight but it's now hours after the government tells me it's too dangerous for me to be out.

They need to get better with this forecasting thing because when it comes around next time people are going to ignore it and when it than is correct, possibly die.

Incompetence all around as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

The heaviest snow being produced by storm "Emma" is currently over southwest England. Bands of lighter snow, mixed with ice pellets and various other semi-frozen types in the southeast, will continue until these heavier bands arrive late this evening and overnight. It still appears likely that 20 to 50 cm of snow will fall over large portions of the country, tapering to 10 to 30 cm across most of the north and 5 to 15 cm near north coast of Ulster. Meanwhile, some sea effect continues across the north mainly and this will just merge with the advancing storm later tonight. That could lead to some locally heavier totals so that the overall snowfall left on the ground by late Friday or early Saturday may be quite variable in the range of 30 to 60 cms for many.

There likely will be some pockets of more mixed precipitation near the south coast and perhaps in patchy form up the east coast, but I think all locations will have at least some intervals of heavy accumulating snow. There will likely be some outbreaks of thunder-snow (or thunder-sleet) tonight and Friday. Blizzard-like conditions will occur regardless of snowfall rates because of strong winds blowing the snow already received plus the newer snow. I mentioned yesterday that the snow could be wetter, in particular across the south and east, but this does not necessarily mean "wet snow" in terms of melting while it falls, more that the moisture content would be higher than the sea effect snow, and therefore this snow might not blow around as readily, but will tend to stick to surfaces (like tree branches and infrastructure) raising the risk level for power outages.

As to local variations, keep a close eye on reports in threads, a complex storm like this is bound to produce some large variations from one location to another, and one key to that may be shadowing effects of higher ground, if you're to the east or south of higher terrain you might get heavier amounts, and to the north or west, lesser amounts of snow than some nearby reports.

Winds will continue strong east to northeast 50 to 80 km/hr for most and could gust to 100 km/hr at times near east coast and later along the south coast (from east to southeast). Kerry and southwest Cork will likely experience some very strong gusts late Friday as the centre of low pressure moves just offshore towards the west-northwest. High seas will create some coastal flooding near the high tides on Friday and Friday night, both on south and east coast but it will be more severe on the south coast.

The storm will taper off to intervals of light snow or sleet by Saturday but the outlook is rather uncertain with several more systems trying to move the cold air and perhaps being less than totally successful, so that the period Sunday to Thursday of next week may continue rather cold and there could be one more significant snowfall in that period.

oh wow passes out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Pentecost

It's the heat from your house melting the flakes. Don't worry.

Right. I’m turning off the heat just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Definitely building up on the ground here in Firhouse, all footprints and tyre tracks are now filled in again.

Mallow still alternating between mild dandruff and "the floaty flecks". Has managed a grand total of couple of mm in the last hour. Mother nature is fond of foreplay here today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Lightning in Blanch

Camera flash. They tricked me a few times Tuesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Sorry Judith,

She posted that several weeks ago.

You can take your chippy Irish attitude away with you now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Sorry Judith,

What are you taking about. Did you read the full thread of tweets. She is saying the huge amount of work that needs to be put in to clear streets. What has Canadian education got to do with it? Odd...

Advertisement