Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Good example of the very local variations in conditions:
    EIDW 012030Z 08028G40KT 2500 R16/2000D R28/2000D R10/0700N SG SCT006 SCT009 SCT015CB M01/M02 Q0998 R10/610395 TEMPO 150

For Runway 16 and Runway 28, whose thresholds are the furthest east, visibility 2000m and decreasing.

For Runway 10, whose threshold is about 2.6km further west, visibility 700m no change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Ok this precip might need a new name! :p
    It's melted in sheltered windows but frozen again, creating patterns associated with fern frost! (snow btw in case anyone thinks I mean rain.).

sounds a bit like Diamond Dust but that usually occurs only under very cold clear skies

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Pentecost wrote: »
    Right. I’m turning off the heat just in case.

Every snowflake is sacred.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Just went for a walk in my estate D14. It's blowing a serious gale now and what ever is falling is sticking.

It's also bloody freezing out and if any proper snow falls, it will be mega here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

This fine stuff is exactly what fell for hours in 82. Was the main cause of drifting with the wind. Heavier wet flakes will probably follow before any rain.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Proper snow! Mid-Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

Must say I have found accuweather extremely accurate for Gorey over the last few days. Each hour they have gotten spot on pretty much

Are they well known for their accuracy?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Every snowflake is sacred.

I've heard somewhere that God get's quite irate if one of those gets wasted. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Sorry Judith,

Wrong country. Go back to school. This is Ireland not the UK.

Education in Canda not so good I suspect.

You couldn't actually think that she is talking directly to Irish people, just because someone quoted the tweet on an Irish forum.....could you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The heaviest snow being produced by storm "Emma" is currently over southwest England. Bands of lighter snow, mixed with ice pellets and various other semi-frozen types in the southeast, will continue until these heavier bands arrive late this evening and overnight. It still appears likely that 20 to 50 cm of snow will fall over large portions of the country, tapering to 10 to 30 cm across most of the north and 5 to 15 cm near north coast of Ulster. Meanwhile, some sea effect continues across the north mainly and this will just merge with the advancing storm later tonight. That could lead to some locally heavier totals so that the overall snowfall left on the ground by late Friday or early Saturday may be quite variable in the range of 30 to 60 cms for many.

There likely will be some pockets of more mixed precipitation near the south coast and perhaps in patchy form up the east coast, but I think all locations will have at least some intervals of heavy accumulating snow. There will likely be some outbreaks of thunder-snow (or thunder-sleet) tonight and Friday. Blizzard-like conditions will occur regardless of snowfall rates because of strong winds blowing the snow already received plus the newer snow. I mentioned yesterday that the snow could be wetter, in particular across the south and east, but this does not necessarily mean "wet snow" in terms of melting while it falls, more that the moisture content would be higher than the sea effect snow, and therefore this snow might not blow around as readily, but will tend to stick to surfaces (like tree branches and infrastructure) raising the risk level for power outages.

As to local variations, keep a close eye on reports in threads, a complex storm like this is bound to produce some large variations from one location to another, and one key to that may be shadowing effects of higher ground, if you're to the east or south of higher terrain you might get heavier amounts, and to the north or west, lesser amounts of snow than some nearby reports.

Winds will continue strong east to northeast 50 to 80 km/hr for most and could gust to 100 km/hr at times near east coast and later along the south coast (from east to southeast). Kerry and southwest Cork will likely experience some very strong gusts late Friday as the centre of low pressure moves just offshore towards the west-northwest. High seas will create some coastal flooding near the high tides on Friday and Friday night, both on south and east coast but it will be more severe on the south coast.

The storm will taper off to intervals of light snow or sleet by Saturday but the outlook is rather uncertain with several more systems trying to move the cold air and perhaps being less than totally successful, so that the period Sunday to Thursday of next week may continue rather cold and there could be one more significant snowfall in that period.

oh wow passes out

How big an effect will the wicklow and dunlins mountains have on the city to the north of it? And how far away from the mountains do you have to be before this effect is lessened>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

The heaviest snow being produced by storm "Emma" is currently over southwest England. Bands of lighter snow, mixed with ice pellets and various other semi-frozen types in the southeast, will continue until these heavier bands arrive late this evening and overnight. It still appears likely that 20 to 50 cm of snow will fall over large portions of the country, tapering to 10 to 30 cm across most of the north and 5 to 15 cm near north coast of Ulster. Meanwhile, some sea effect continues across the north mainly and this will just merge with the advancing storm later tonight. That could lead to some locally heavier totals so that the overall snowfall left on the ground by late Friday or early Saturday may be quite variable in the range of 30 to 60 cms for many.

There likely will be some pockets of more mixed precipitation near the south coast and perhaps in patchy form up the east coast, but I think all locations will have at least some intervals of heavy accumulating snow. There will likely be some outbreaks of thunder-snow (or thunder-sleet) tonight and Friday. Blizzard-like conditions will occur regardless of snowfall rates because of strong winds blowing the snow already received plus the newer snow. I mentioned yesterday that the snow could be wetter, in particular across the south and east, but this does not necessarily mean "wet snow" in terms of melting while it falls, more that the moisture content would be higher than the sea effect snow, and therefore this snow might not blow around as readily, but will tend to stick to surfaces (like tree branches and infrastructure) raising the risk level for power outages.

As to local variations, keep a close eye on reports in threads, a complex storm like this is bound to produce some large variations from one location to another, and one key to that may be shadowing effects of higher ground, if you're to the east or south of higher terrain you might get heavier amounts, and to the north or west, lesser amounts of snow than some nearby reports.

Winds will continue strong east to northeast 50 to 80 km/hr for most and could gust to 100 km/hr at times near east coast and later along the south coast (from east to southeast). Kerry and southwest Cork will likely experience some very strong gusts late Friday as the centre of low pressure moves just offshore towards the west-northwest. High seas will create some coastal flooding near the high tides on Friday and Friday night, both on south and east coast but it will be more severe on the south coast.

The storm will taper off to intervals of light snow or sleet by Saturday but the outlook is rather uncertain with several more systems trying to move the cold air and perhaps being less than totally successful, so that the period Sunday to Thursday of next week may continue rather cold and there could be one more significant snowfall in that period.

oh wow passes out

Are you MT in disguise?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

That weird glistening stuff has now changed to snow in Cork City and has gotten heavier

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Claire6

Anyone else getting a tad despondent? I know what's forecast and not trolling. The wait is just killing when you look outside and there's nothing happening. (southside, Cork)

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Just went outside into the garden in Wexford. Fairly wild out there, about 6 inches of snow on the grass but practically none in driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

it was all supposed to kick-off at 4pm, looking like it will be 10pm before the main event starts, that's quite poor forecasting from the weather authorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Rougies wrote: »
    Camera flash. They tricked me a few times Tuesday night.

A camera flash that came from the sky and also made my lights flicker? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭policy75

not much life threatening stuff to date. but thanks for the heads up leo

• Registered Users Posts: 33,990 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just went outside into the garden in Wexford. Fairly wild out there, about 6 inches of snow on the grass but practically none in driveway.

Gets caught in the grass and blown off the drive

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

typhoony wrote: »
    it was all supposed to kick-off at 4pm, looking like it will be 10pm before the main event starts, that's quite poor forecasting from the weather authorities.

Suppose it depends where you are. It started snowing at about 3:45pm in my location

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Back on topic, there is a lot of snow in my garden now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Claire6 wrote: »
    Anyone else getting a tad despondent? I know what's forecast and not trolling. The wait is just killing when you look outside and there's nothing happening. (southside, Cork)

I reckon for us further up the country most of the action will happen during the night

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Cork starting to get battered :)

opy4x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Strong wind now in D11 accompanying steady prolonged snowfall, some sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Claire6 wrote: »

Yea. Kids are very disappointed. Feck all happening here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

That weird glistening stuff has now changed to snow in Cork City and has gotten heavier

Where in Cork city? Nothing where I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Where in Cork city? Nothing where I am!

Bishopstown/Wilton area! Cork City Suburbs is most likely a more accurate name

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I don't know where you are but they said several hours ago in a forecast that it would hit dublin around 9.
    Its not snowing heavily yet but the winds are extremely strong so obviously the storm is here or nearly at least

And people in wexford have been reporting strong wind and heavy snow for several hours now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

up to a metre mentioned again EC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Seems to be picking up in D15...the snow is still fine mind you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Bishopstown/Wilton area! Cork City Suburbs is most likely a more accurate name

Ah okay. I'm in Sunday's Well area and there is nothing. Hopefully it's coming our way!

Advertisement