Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

A camera flash that came from the sky and also made my lights flicker? :pac:

Yes. It's Emma taking photos of her handiwork :p

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

typhoony wrote: »
    it was all supposed to kick-off at 4pm, looking like it will be 10pm before the main event starts, that's quite poor forecasting from the weather authorities.

Nobody said the main event would start at 4pm. The warning came into effect at 4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Diamonds have stopped falling from the sky here near Kinsale and now it is snowing more heavily. We've already had 20cm of snow on the ground before Emma arrived and we've been stuck here in our rural home since Tuesday evening. Part of me wants lots more snow to fall tonight but another part of me doesn't want to be snowed in for too much longer! Its like I have dual personalities...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

This reminds me of a huge snowstorm I experienced in New York about 15 years ago. I was woken to the sound of what I thought was rain hitting the windows but it was actually ice particles or freezing rain. The ground was soaked outside, I woke up again about 3 hours later and there was nearly a foot of snow outside. It was just phenomenal. Just showed how quickly things can happen with winter storms

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭damo80

Proper snow! Mid-Limerick

Where abouts you based? I'm south-ish and nothing all day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

R.F. wrote: »
    Must say I have found accuweather extremely accurate for Gorey over the last few days. Each hour they have gotten spot on pretty much

Are they well known for their accuracy?

That's funny because they've gotten it completely wrong where I am

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Claire6 wrote: »
    Anyone else getting a tad despondent? I know what's forecast and not trolling. The wait is just killing when you look outside and there's nothing happening. (southside, Cork)

:(

Yeh I just can't start to get my hopes up about a metre of snow supposedly going to fall in my area until i start seeing big heavy snowflakes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭roosterman71

The auld fella is infront of tv all day watching crap like tipping point +judge rinder on tv3-2 or what ever its called. He switched over to watch the news special on rte but switched back after 15mins, said nothing hapening yet.
    I wanted to watch the 6 o clock news he says its same as before +wudnt switch channels at at!
    Was the same attitude during Ophelia +the other winter snow+storms, totaly oblivious to whats goin on!!

I think we were in the same house and share a parent!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

http://animate.meteoradar.co.uk/

All dry in KK, and we're a bulleye?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

typhoony wrote: »
    it was all supposed to kick-off at 4pm, looking like it will be 10pm before the main event starts, that's quite poor forecasting from the weather authorities.

Red alert warning probably saved hundreds of lives

ME blamed for the deaths of hundreds of people for not warning the country

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

its like the clouds are not letting the moisture go, just yet :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Right now we don't have snow as such (Meath/Kildare border). Rather it's like snizzle being blown around the place, and lots of it. Still perishing cold though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Snow starting to freeze in NW Donegal, rural roads are treacherous.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

E7A7QkG.png

I like that met.ie doesn't even have an image to describe the stuff that's falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Claire6

Yea. Kids are very disappointed. Feck all happening here.

Tis tough out. Living in Passage West, so judging by radars thought we would be getting a pasting by 8pm, am hour later still absolutely nothing. Following this for last 2-3 days so the disappointment is real, trying my best not to be pessimistic and to trust

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭MiaMaria

Oh the Glistening fine snow has started here in West Cork . Was able to shoot down hubbys claim of its raining out side ,I was very confident and knowledgeable saying its fine snow .He said look at the windows,I countered with GO OUTSIDE and feel it.Feeling smug,Thank you Boarders

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    its like the clouds are not letting the moisture go, just yet :pac:

RTE news now- things could change very quickly overnight- Kilkenny specifically mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

6 inches of snow forecast for cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Already close to a blizzard here on the coast. Really coming down in sheets. Cant imagine what conditions may materialise later. A marvellous but dangerous night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

irishfeen wrote: »
    Cork starting to get battered :)

opy4x.jpg

So are we waiting for darker colours to be the snow .. I must say Waterford is picking up a bit more now still very tiny crystal like but wind is adding a bit to it I just can't wait to see the snow now again ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Plastic sheeting in Cork City there on RTE and it's starting to get heavy snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭RustyGate

CeilingFly wrote: »
    and if the weather system sped up as it very easily could have done and the heavy snow came at 5pm rather than 9pm, YOU and people like you would be whining that not enough warning was given.

I've a business - we closed yesterday and we'll reopen Saturday. It was nigh on impossible to get to it yesterday (kildare). I'm not risking staff safety for the sake of a few hours trading and I'd rather err on the cautious side.

Then for your area the red warning was justified.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

damo80 wrote: »
    Where abouts you based? I'm south-ish and nothing all day
    In fairness I can see the Galtees so closer to east than mid-Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Ah okay. I'm in Sunday's Well area and there is nothing. Hopefully it's coming our way!

Ballinlough here. Nothing happening at all.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Claire6 wrote: »
    Tis tough out. Living in Passage West, so judging by radars thought we would be getting a pasting by 8pm, am hour later still absolutely nothing. Following this for last 2-3 days so the disappointment is real, trying my best not to be pessimistic and to trust

Do you not already have plenty of snow? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

RTE news now- things could change very quickly overnight- Kilkenny specifically mentioned.

Pascal talking about people who've decided that because it's not yet snowing they are venturing out to the puib.

Warning started too early. Issued correctly based on guidance, but should have been revised to 6pm or 8pm. No matter that businesses were already closed, it would still provent complacency.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭spookwoman

E7A7QkG.png

I like that met.ie doesn't even have an image to describe the stuff that's falling.
    same showing for waterford.
    Are they ice pellets if they float about like snow flakes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

what they say??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mossie

Starting to snow heavily here. (Newmarket Cork)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Very fine snow grains feel like sleet because they melt instantly on your face due to their tiny mass, giving that wet feel.

Advertisement