Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

jo06555 wrote: »
    So are we waiting for darker colours to be the snow .. I must say Waterford is picking up a bit more now still very tiny crystal like but wind is adding a bit to it I just can't wait to see the snow now again ha

In the last 10 minutes it has started to snow more heavily here on the south Cork coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

wakka12 wrote: »
    I don't know where you are but they said several hours ago in a forecast that it would hit dublin around 9.
    Its not snowing heavily yet but the winds are extremely strong so obviously the storm is here or nearly at least

And people in wexford have been reporting strong wind and heavy snow for several hours now

You'd need goggles out there, horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,039 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well it looks like snow is failing in cork city on the south mall on the news.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Just went to the shop. Normally a 3 or 4 minute walk. Wind is totally squalling and comingl at you in every direction. You can’t keep your eyes open, Way more like millions of tiny bits of ice attacking your face, deffo not graupel. Took about 10 minutes
    Felt like tom crean:)

This in d7/Smithfield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

sdanseo wrote: »
    Pascal talking about people who've decided that because it's not yet snowing they are venturing out to the puib.

Warning started too early. Issued correctly based on guidance, but should have been revised to 6pm or 8pm. No matter that businesses were already closed, it would still provent complacency.

it made sure people were in in time. ive no problem with it.

Watched puss in boots with the kids aaaaallllllllll afternoon:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

Getting in the mood: ice breaker!
    https://youtu.be/4ecGEnI9ZGQ

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Claire6

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Do you not already have plenty of snow? :pac:

Plenty from yesterday ya at least 6 inches on my decking. But when you're waiting for the big storm it can be a bit of a disappointment. It's all relative I spose in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Snow has been falling here since 8am. Snow was still falling between 5pm and 7pm but there was a bit of a thaw on, however, in the past hour or so, anything that thawed has now been replaced by more snow. What's falling now is very fine and the wind blowing is very cold. Things are picking up rather slowly.

david75 wrote: »
    Just went to the shop. Normally a 3 or 4 minute walk. Wind is totally squalling and comingl at you in every direction. You can’t keep your eyes open, Way more like millions of tiny bits of ice attacking your face, deffo not graupel. Took about 10 minutes
    Felt like tom crean:)

This in d7/Smithfield

Place a flag on your house when you get home:p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

typhoony wrote: »
    it was all supposed to kick-off at 4pm, looking like it will be 10pm before the main event starts, that's quite poor forecasting from the weather authorities.

What about giving people time to get home? Allowing for poor driving conditions? Think please.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Anything hitting the ground aint melting anyway, roads are already white. Unfortunately because its moist, my camera has lost focus on the road due to moisture on the window

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Indeed they should. My friend is heading to Australia Saturday and he couldn’t get to the bank or the pharmacy today.

Why didn’t he go yesterday? Or Tuesday? Or Monday?....

tom1ie wrote: »
    What about giving people time to get home? Allowing for poor driving conditions? Think please.

Well said. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

sdanseo wrote: »
    Pascal talking about people who've decided that because it's not yet snowing they are venturing out to the puib.

Warning started too early. Issued correctly based on guidance, but should have been revised to 6pm or 8pm. No matter that businesses were already closed, it would still provent complacency.

exactly, from the satellite pics this morning it was clear that it would be delayed and this should have been revised via the media to stop people going out this evening thinking it wasn't going to happen

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

its Coming

443870.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

The YR app was forecasting it to begin at about 8pm onwards in Cork and seems to be relatively close to accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Really light stuff falling in Turners Cross now, not sure its even sticking. A good few radars are saying we should be getting batrered right now but its certainley not the case where I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Lightning now in meath 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Very fine snow dust here, just looked at Radar and we’re kind of in the middle. I’d say another hour or so and real stuff will start.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Coastal areas of Wicklow/Wexford look a bit marginal on the latest charts but central locations in those counties will get a hammering by tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Gerry is back!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Gerry Murphy has been found!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,039 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Gerry Murphy sighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

It's Gerry!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

Gerry on RTÉ one

• Registered Users Posts: 10,164 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

hes back, Gerry murphy :) on the rte 9 news now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Do the people racking up 10s and 10s of posts moaning, complaining, begrudging, belittling and making uneducated and uninformed comments ever just sit back from the screen and think about how their Thursday night is going that they're at this crap. Post the one complaint, log out and give the mods a break. Can't be as many adults in here as you'd imagine.

Still very snowy here in Dublin 9. Hard to tell how it's accumulating however - footprints fill up very quick as the snow has a hollow to latch onto. General layer is much slower going up. Very blowy for level accumulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Oh my god look who's back and he even said the SNOW word

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Ah Gerry we missed you. Any sleet ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Reminds me of 1982 snowfalls. Only a young feller but I remember it well. A job had to dig us out after a fortnight when our lane was 4 or 5 feet deep after the dtifts. Never thought I'd see those levels again. Kinda happy my kids will see an event like this

Had to park the car about a mile from the house as I've a 24hr shift starting at 11am. Was a white knuckle drive to work yesterday. Roads around monasterevin were atrocious, fairly clear coming home today. Tough for frontline staff who are taking on these trips to keep services open so fair play to ye all.

How do ye all post pics on this by the way ? I'm on a phone and haven't got a clue

Advertisement