Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

lolo62 wrote: »
    Has anyone here ever made an igloo?
    Made one today :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Strong enough winds by the Point here in Dublin but no snow, just some dust floating about. Not a whole lot on the ground. Went out for a walk there and, while windy, nothing crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I thought the blizzards would be more dense. I've experienced one in my life and visibility was very low.

This is exactly how 1982 was. Fell like this for hours. There won't be any accumulation on roof tops as the wind will blow it away. It will drift up against walls. Then you'll probably get the heavier stuff falling later in the morning.

Will be some mad drifts if the keeps blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sdanseo wrote: »
    Gerry (who has a reputation as the forecaster who is scared of snow) predicting

widespread significant snow
    Leinster + Munster 15 to 30cm generally
    Dublin & Wicklow up to 100cm (yes 100)

I still can't believe it's true, but if it is, this will possibly top the greatest snow falls ever officially recorded in Ireland. They have a sense of humour in Met Eireann sending Gerry out to deliver the good news. But more seriously i would not fancy being in the public eye in these situations.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Cork city looks calm enough, probably change as the night goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Fine blowing snow here in Waterford City. Temp on the rise to -0.4c.
    What a day of snow though already. Non stop from 6am to 4pm. Memorable and we haven't even had the heavy stuff from Emma yet.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

It's my culture, Boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Very very light snow where I am in Cork city now..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

awec wrote: »
    The snow here in south Dublin is weird, it looks pretty heavy but it's so fine and doesn't appear to be making much difference to snow levels on the ground.

I assume this is only the beginning and we'll get "real" snow sometime during the night?

We've nice ice crystals in the windows though.
    But yeah, where's the blizzard?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Ich bin ein snowman

AAAAAAAAA wrote: »
    decent accumulation building already in arklow

Good to hear, I was wincing with the frustration from arklow people earlier with all the snow we have here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

tom1ie wrote: »
    What about giving people time to get home? Allowing for poor driving conditions? Think please.

I think people can do the necessary basic maths on their journey times themselves. ME didnt werent forcasting what time people should go home - they claim to have been forecasting the start of the blizzard. Bid fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

tullamore changed in the last 30 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Phoenix Park up to 0c , even Sherkin and Valentia are colder!
    Bizarre mind boggling stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭KinnegadKid

Yea here in Westmeath

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I thought the blizzards would be more dense. I've experienced one in my life and visibility was very low.

They haven't started yet.;)

Yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

absolutley wild in Newbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

I think people can do the necessary basic maths on their journey times themselves. ME didnt werent forcasting what time people should go home - they claim to have been forecasting the start of the blizzard. Bid fail.

No they didnt, They have knew this timeline the whole time. Seems like alot of people on this thread incapable of basic math.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭appledrop

It was snowing all day in North County Dublin but for the first time it has turned to sleet. I think this could change to rain not snow. I wouldn't be complaining if it does don't want anymore. Still very strong winds here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭jace_da_face

I think it might be a good idea for people to end their posts with their location, particularly when mentioning the conditions they are experiencing. Light dusting of snow here so far. Nothing major. Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

tullamore changed in the last 30 minutes
    Nothing in Mullingar yet, no snow since 18:30

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Absolutely lashing rain in D13 again. Those snowmen outside look more like snow melts now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

The last hour here in Clonsilla, its been quite like drizzle rain. Very fine wet mist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

If moaning was an Olympic sport Ireland would take gold every fcuking time.

Limerick City finally getting it now though it is very fine. Looks like someone threw a big bag of coke over the city :D

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

I did yeah, back in 2010! Hoping to make another tomorrow, and maybe see about spending the night in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

No but there were two being made on the back green today....
    You need some sort of box to make the bricks.

It's my culture, Boss.

And there is a grant available.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Predicting and tracking course and speed of a weather front is not like downloading an app to your iphone. It is nature - it is unpredictable. ME did a pretty good job in tracking the course of this. They also allowed a few hours buffer from 4pm. Plenty of people were stuck on horrendous roads getting home from work. Look at what happened in Scotland yesterday - hundreds of people stuck in cars overnight. What on earth is all of this anti-ME stuff about?

Advertisement