Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,205 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

je551e wrote: »
    Isn’t that the other way round?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Saganist wrote: »
    Cleared the small drift at the back door today, then when the front tip of Emma started it looked like rain hitting the back door. I just had to reclear the back door. About 5cm already... And this is the RAIN. !

I’m thinking the rain isn’t rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

How strange, I can faintly see the moon here in West Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Significant increase in intensity now in Greystones, about 2-3 mm fall in last 30 mins. Still very fine stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Recent image from a poster on TWO based in Somerset.

14009821fe687525a09f6b42613c3000d0512021f0b7c36d24c8d8a14558c7aa7118ce26.jpg

His commentary:

"Literally a foot deep (well, at least over the top of my wellies, as my feet currently confirm). Awesome scenes beside the frozen River Tone, like daytime in the snowfields. And still snowing heavily.
    I never thought I'd say this, but even if it's all over by Sunday, this beats both winter 1981-2 in W Germany and December 2010 in the Blackdowns. This is extreme."

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Spent many years in Boston and the current conditions match any snow storms I have experienced over there. Obviously more snow dropped there but the winds is something I never experienced.

Wouldn't be surprised if this tops the record books when all said and done.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think the red warning for donegal, which was to run to 3pm tomorrow like the rest of the country, has been brought back to 6am, so it looks like they think we will be grand in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

hanksy123 wrote: »
    Between Athy and Stradbally. Zero snow in the last 3 hours. The wind is a bit gusty.
    I've been waiting for hours and I'm still hopeful

I'd be in the same area and nothing but a very fine powder blowing about..

Hopefully some heavy stuff to come

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

Well, other than the odd little sprinkle today. Never close to giving us a covering. But I'm mindful of how Castlebar got coated yesterday afternoon in less than an hour
    Anyway - my weather app (Weather & Radar) tells me light snow will start at around 22.30 and will keep falling through to morning (and it's usually very accurate) - So - I'm not giving up on the hope of waking to a white wonderland. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Very quiet in Swords no significant snow or wind

We got home at eght and the car is still clear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Q from Moesha was at Dublin airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Turned up a notch in Naas now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

lolo62 wrote: »
    Has anyone here ever made an igloo?
    Believe it or not but myself, the missus and a few friends were talking about it earlier and planning to try it tomorrow, if we manage to make something resembling an igloo I'll write the BOARDS.IE INN at the front of it and post a pic. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    where's the wind?

It's been howling down my chimney all evening, loudest since I've moved in. Maybe I'm getting it all. Pain in the ass to maintain a nice low fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 irlgw

what area constitutes 'south dublin'?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

A blob of 15mm/hr about to hit Cardiff head on. Keep a close eye on reports cloming out of there. Currently reporting moderate snow, temperature -3, dewpoint -3. Very good signs for us.

http://en.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/united-kingdom-ireland.php?icao=EGFF

For those who want to follow, look at the block of code halfway down on the left and pick out the SN report. Moderate is no + or -, e.g. light would be -SN, heavy +SN, the UK also use BLSN which is blowing snow, look for -/ + with this report also.
    METAR: EGFF 012120Z 07028G40KT 0500 R12/1400 SN BKN003 OVC009 M03/M03 Q0991 R/SNOCLO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Light snow in County Limerick now.

The Stillorgan Dual Carriageway (N11) looks treacherous

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

lolo62 wrote: »
    Has anyone here ever made an igloo?

Get a mold like a rectangular builders mortar bin, 20l, 30l or 40l. Pack the snow in, turn it upside down and you have a ready made brick. You@ll get the hang of how eell you have to pack the stuff after a couple of goes.

Igloos are blocks of snow cut from a particular type of snow, there's no guarantee that the snow around you is the real deal, but a mold will help.

One of these...

s-l1000.jpg

Videos on the net will show you how to taper it up to make a beehive roof. Watering it afterwards helps to "preserve" it and solidify it. They can collapse, so be careful.

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Equivalent of 9 inches of rain, ah hardly!

When the snow melts expect floods along the Dodder. Huge amount of snow up in its catchment area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Stheno wrote: »
    Very quiet in Swords no significant snow or wind

We got home at eght and the car is still clear

Honestly. With this wind, its not the top of the car I would be looking at. Because of the wind, I'd be looking for drifts building along the side of the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Q from Moesha was at Dublin airport.

Bird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 irlgw

Is it where people talk funny like there's something stuck in their gob

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Well that was a memorable forecast anyway from siobhán :D
    Copious quantities falling here near Arklow as it is
    Absolutely lashing down ,I wouldn’t be surprised to have thunder shortly!

I recorded it , it will be one for the Archives

• Registered Users Posts: 23 depcon

Can someone post a link to the tiitraffic.ie website has webcams for most of the country. I can't post Urls.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,040 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

according to net weather, all the heavier snow is blowing left of cork city just missing us. Stuck with the misty light snow for now.
    That seems a bit hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭spookwoman

depcon wrote: »
    Can someone post a link to the tiitraffic.ie website has webcams for most of the country. I can't post Urls.

https://www.tiitraffic.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

depcon wrote: »

They're down at the moment.

https://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

Larbre34 wrote: »
    No.

I’m lost Munster is 6pm

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Definitely getting heavier here, Southeast Wexford. Can't wait for the morning to see what it is like.
    My Son will defo be making his first ever snowman tomorrow:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Much milder here in Portmarnock +2C , very windy with powdery snow/sleet, certainly no accumulation of snow given the high temperature. There would have to be a dramatic shift at this stage to turn it into a metre of snow.

Advertisement