Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dublin 16, still ridiculous amounts of this micro hail stuff. Accumulated about 2-3cm since 6pm, but a few high drifts in places, 30cm+

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I can't believe up to a metre of snow in Dublin. I can't even contemplate that. It seems too far fetched for me to even think about that rationally. Some people are going to wake up to a big surprise in the morning as imagine most people won't really digest what 1 meter of snow means. I'm in Cork and 6 inches even seems far fetched to me.

Its pretty unbelievably alright. I think Ill only believe it when I see it :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Show the lady a bit of respect , this is not After Hours

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

-1c and -1dp here, still snowing lightly and horizontally

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I still don't understand how people are getting accumulations of this ice grain sh*te. Nearly 3 hours of it blizzarding down here near Bray Seafront and the roads are only dusted. ie. literally zero accumulation. At this rate I'll have about 5cm of it in 24 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Quick walk around outside. (North Dublin) a bit of a dusting over last few hours. But still nothing out of this world. Cars still moving about freely enough on roads which were well used earlier. Will not go out if any threat of lightning later mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

People are always 10 times happier during this type of stuff. I'm praying that it'll get bad now or I'll be bored to **** for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

I’m in Sandyford D18 and the accumulation is amazing here. Snow up to the door and fairytale snow on the base of the windows. Howling a gale and snow constantly falling

Are you outside someones house perving or what?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I can't believe up to a metre of snow in Dublin. I can't even contemplate that.
    Sounds dangerous to have that much resting on roofs. Expect a red warning for Dubs to spend the night outdoors :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

M50 at the minute, and why you don't want to be driving about tonight:

0135.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

I can't believe up to a metre of snow in Dublin. I can't even contemplate that.

I think I heard them say a metre of snow will be on the ground tomorrow.....I guess they are including existing snow fall?

so total amount that will have fallen will be 1 metre come tomorrow night?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭jds0ur

Stheno wrote: »
    Very quiet in Swords no significant snow or wind

We got home at eght and the car is still clear

Where are you in Swords? Blasting down in Rivervalley!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrE4NdG_0PE&feature=youtu.be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Starting to accumulate well in Bray, it’s stil very fine misty stuff blowing around but we definitely have a lot more on the ground than an hour ago

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

If anyone is interested, Winterwatch: THE BIG FREEZE 1963 on BBC 4 right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Driving snow grains and blowing snow. Going to be difficult to fairly measure deposits by tomorrow afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Literally Snow White here in North Cork - it’s a beautiful sight to behold! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

Calibos wrote: »
    I still don't understand how people are getting accumulations of this ice grain sh*te. Nearly 3 hours of it blizzarding down here near Bray Seafront and the roads are only dusted. ie. literally zero accumulation. At this rate I'll have about 5cm of it in 24 hours.

Same in Clonmel. Still just dust floating around at the moment. It's made the roads white and covered exposed parts of the ground with a glaze of ice, but it hasn't added much in the way of depth. Wondering if the thicker stuff will arrive soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Stheno wrote: »
    Very quiet in Swords no significant snow or wind

We got home at eght and the car is still clear
    Kinda similar with me here in Terenure/Rathgar in South Dublin. Windy alright, but not storm level and I was last out driving today at 4PM and the car remains pretty much snow free and what's on it appears to be mostly stuff already fallen and blown around. There has been some snowfall with a light dusting on the roads alright, but if I really needed to go somewhere in the car because of an emergency I'd not be too concerned TBH. If anything I might even be warmer in the car than me gaff when the thermostat opened. If for some reason the leccy goes down I'll decamp to the car. Though bear in mind I'd not be the sharpest tool in the shed on such matters...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭spookwoman

recon about an hour that darker red will hit Waterford

vvRcQ5v.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

daheff wrote: »
    I think I heard them say a metre of snow will be on the ground tomorrow.....I guess they are including existing snow fall?

so total amount that will have fallen will be 1 metre come tomorrow night?

No it said a fall of one metre tonight in south dublin and wicklow. So some places will have a metre+ existing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

-3 for us here in Bandon, Cork.

Had to move house today and yesterday to find we had no electricity. Managed to get that up and running to find the boiler was acting up.

A bit of fooling around with it and got it running, but still cold in the house.

I'd honestly enjoy this a lot more if I wasn't moving house!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Greystones has a good covering now too..

Took the dog out for a quick play about half an hour ago and our tracks are already covered again..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Winds and continuous sheets of snow in South Wexford on Coast.

The accumalation is now white everywhere @ 15m ASL.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Has the storm changed direction? D13 little wind and only rain no snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

irishfeen wrote: »
    Literally Snow White here in North Cork - it’s a beautiful sight to behold! :)

At last

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

nibtrix wrote: »
    Starting to accumulate well in Bray, it’s stil very fine misty stuff blowing around but we definitely have a lot more on the ground than an hour ago

Looks out Velux...

Nope, still only snow dust on Meath road after 3 hours of this ice grain sh*te.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

What time is the storm due in the west? Couldn't be any calmer here at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kevyg

I'm in Bristol. Stuck here until at least Saturday. There has been this very fine granular snow falling all day. Best description is similar to very dry sand blowing over wet sand on a beach when the tide is out. Maybe 2 inches lying at this stage. Hard to know what's going to happen, looks like the worst hasn't arrived or maybe won't. Have to say it's hard to know what's going to happen. Personally I feel the east coast of Ireland is going to get this really fine snow for quite some time tonight unless it picks up moisture from the Irish sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Cork seems to have found the iom shadow lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

irlgw wrote: »
    I'm rathmines but its just dust floating around. was able to drive up to the sallygap this evening so not that bad. Dublin mountains looked pretty fickle. 'storm in a tea-cup' as they say

Over in Ranelagh, its just a dusting at the moment. I figure its going to pick up a bit overnight.

Advertisement