Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Looking for some advice please,

We live in Galway city. Looking outside now, the snow on the road is pretty bad. My wife is working out in Connemara tomorrow morning (Madra). I’ve told her no way is she driving out there as it’s not safe.

She’s said the red warning is to lift at 6am here.

Surely it’s not safe to drive out there?

Forecasted lots of snow for Connemara tonight and the red warning may well get extended so best not to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Goose81

We live in Galway city. Looking outside now, the snow on the road is pretty bad. My wife is working out in Connemara tomorrow morning (Madra). I’ve told her no way is she driving out there as it’s not safe.

I was driving an hour ago for an hour and it was fine, how good a driver is she?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

Goose81 wrote: »
    That's exactly what it like outside my gaf, it's rain

Go outside. If it was rain it would melt any snow.
    Freezing rain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freezing_rain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

cml387 wrote: »
    Still awaiting snow apocalypse here in Clonmel. Very light dusting, enough to cover a small matchstick. It's not actually snowing at all at the moment.

In Ardfinnan there has been "light dusting " for the last 2 hours and it has covered up everything that was scraped up or brushed off today. It's definitely a deeper accumulation of snow on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Have we missed it here in Waterford City, no Blizzard, no heavy snow since this morning, about 2" maximum??????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Cars going into ditches in Donegal, roads covered in frozen snow. Complete joke that the warning is being lifted at 6, we might be getting less snow but the conditions are still awful out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Teenager paralysed from the neck down after falling off a wall in Mayfield in Cork today. Was out with his father at 3pm, before the red warning came into force. His father collapsed at the scene from shock.

Cork teen in critical condition after freak snow accident
    A teenager is in critical condition in hospital in Cork tonight after a freak weather-related accident on the northside of city.

There are fears the young man, who suffered an horrific neck injury, may be paralysed from the neck down.

The incident occurred in the Mayfield area around 3pm - before the 4pm red weather alert kicked in and from when people were advised to stay indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

nino1 wrote: »
    Anyone have a link to the radar?

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

This freezing mist is very thick and piling up in Bray now, strong winds piling it up, I honestly cant believe it, I only ever saw weather like this once in my life and that was in New York.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

complete and utter whiteout in dalkey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Insane blizzard here near Arklow continuing,the drifting is something else
    Looking at the ditches from upstairs in the house I’d estimate 3 or 4 ft deep there and it’s only 11pm

Wind gusting over 50kmh NE
    Air temp -0.4c
    Dp -0.7c
    Wet bulb -0.5c

Snow swirling up in air like a funnel

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

nino1 wrote: »
    Anyone have a link to the radar?

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

Put weather type on

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Real 007

D14 has really began to ramp up in last 20 - 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭abacus120

The red warning will not be lifted at that time I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Goose81

I doubt it was freezing rain, it melted up impact with my face it the window or the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

If you check Mike Cubbard's Facebook page he has been amazing with updates. Lots of info on there about dangerous driving conditions. Even if the snow stops it will be like pure glass by morning. Fair play to her for wanting to care for the doggos but it'd be even better if she stays safe and can continue to do it long into the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Mr.S wrote: »
    Just very light / fine snow on the D6 / D4 boarder, Give us some!

The localizations of this event is crazy ! I’ve seen it from all the posts so far — I’ve snow accumulations of 2 cm in roughly a half hour- I know this technically because I used the makeshift dustpan snow shovel to clear the back door and it’s filled in and yes I measured- crazy stuff !! Please please can this be annual !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

So if this storm has been slower to arrive, should we assume that it will be around later tomorrow than expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭spookwoman

7Wvp2IG.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

Dublin 9

I was annoyed looking out at the..rain? “snow grains”?

So I went outside in my slippers to check and fell over a big snow drift outside my door.

Ok so it’s snow then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so when is emma going to hit full pelt?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Just getting ready for bed and noticed the pipes have frozen in the apartment :(

Assuming temp won't go up enough until at least Saturday for them to thaw?

In D15

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

kinda disappointed down here in cork city :( was honestly expecting white out conditions. so far dusting of snow

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

Light snow has finally reached Castlebar in Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭abacus120

Greystones,co wicklow starting to pile up now,continual for the past few hours.
    I

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Definitely not raining that is ice falling. Snow building up at door and wild getting wild. Blew attic door off it’s hinges!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

spookwoman wrote: »
    7Wvp2IG.jpg

It's showtime!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Where is the blizzard ?

Finglas here and just looks like rain outside

Stay in from 4pm they said , no snow since lol

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

Goose81 wrote: »
    I doubt it was freezing rain, it melted up impact with my face it the window or the wall

Well, your face is warmer than 0C (hopefully). :D It was freezing on impact with the ground here, but staying liquid when it hit the windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Insane blizzard here near Arklow continuing,the drifting is something else
    Looking at the ditches from upstairs in the house I’d estimate 3 or 4 ft deep there and it’s only 11pm

Wind gusting over 50kmh NE
    Air temp -0.4c
    Dp -0.7c
    Wet bulb -0.5c

Snow swirling up in air like a funnel

Same in Wexford snow blowing and drifting everywhere

Advertisement