Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: Eircom Sucks taking time off the forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Any news from lower east coast dwellers? It seems Emma should be hitting you guys now?

Wild [as a bold word] outside in Wexico. You wouldnt put a politician or an architect out in it.

Its slush puppy stuff coming down. Slush puppy that sticks to the windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,878 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's piling up fast in Santry. Still small flakes but it's intense out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

nelly17 wrote: »
    Looking at the wind map Emma has not tracked NW as predicted...yet, its pretty much where its pretty much where it was earlier today.

https://earth.nullschool.net/

Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Complete white out in West Clare, exceeded 2010 levels already and another 12+ hours to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Just ventured out into my backyard - there's a couple of feet of snow there already.

Well up past my wellys......

I'm actually getting worried for the morning now. I've 4 kids under the age of ten the youngest lad is 4.

I may get up at first light and start clearing a path.

The doors that open outwards are the worrying ones.

Between Naas and Blessington here.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

giphy.gif

For the britherers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

wakka12 wrote: »
    Intense winds..but still tiny ice pellets. If the flakes were normal snow it would be a crazy blizzard right now. D14

Normal flakes where I am in d14 for last half hour, small though.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Complete white out in West Clare, exceeded 2010 levels already and another 12+ hours to go.

Nice. Not far from Galway it’s on the way.

shane. wrote: »
    It’s 2018 ffs

Exactly, they just want a solid 12 inches like the rest of us. Doesn't matter colour nor creed, we all love snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Can just picture William Wallace out there in the Irish Sea with Emma shouting HOLD HOLD and then at midnight they unleash an army of pellets, grains & flakes on the Boardie pessimists when they've all gone to bed !!

I still have to double check to remember how rare this is - it's the 1st March, I'm at sea level in Donabate, with the place covered in snow and a winter storm with potential of 10 to 30cm of snow. Even it that doesn't fully come about overnight it's a rare rare event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

crustybla wrote: »
    giphy.gif

For the britherers.

We only love a gif

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Ich bin ein snowman

The impatience of people in here keeps causing a logjam of patronizing comments to build up in my cerebrum...one look out the window and a quick glance at the radar and poof, my default shock and excitement resumes. It’s coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Thanks mods - you're doing a great job keeping this thread going. The weather experts get a lot of kudos and deservedly so. The amount of effort and time that you guys are putting in to try and keep the trolls at bay is immense.

It's adding to the experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Looking for some advice please,

We live in Galway city. Looking outside now, the snow on the road is pretty bad. My wife is working out in Connemara tomorrow morning (Madra). I’ve told her no way is she driving out there as it’s not safe.

She’s said the red warning is to lift at 6am here.

Surely it’s not safe to drive out there?

Cars going into ditches in Donegal, roads covered in frozen snow. Complete joke that the warning is being lifted at 6, we might be getting less snow but the conditions are still awful out there.
    Thargor wrote: »
    This freezing mist is very thick and piling up in Bray now, strong winds piling it up, I honestly cant believe it, I only ever saw weather like this once in my life and that was in New York.

Freezing rain is a killer on electricity lines as it accumulates very quickly and it gets very heavy, couple that with the strong winds could potentially add to the power outages experienced right now. The better that Freezing rain goes away the better for everyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Real 007

dharma200 wrote: »
    are all bars etc closed in Dublin.. panti bar just put pic up on fb of it full to rafters wtf
    In D14 and went for a walk at 19:00hrs, dropped in for a swift pint before walking the short 5 mins home. There was def no sign of the bar closing - the place was rammed... ppl arriving when i was walking out! Lucky souls :'(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jimbis

Just took a walk around dundrum shopping centre. If this is just the beginning then we're in for some serious weather. Pictures do no justice for the conditions out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭otherfrog

CKl7a3V.jpg

I decided to take a nose outside: this is beside section of path I had cleared before the Emma system began to roll in - I cleared a very small section again as I went out just to see what the depth was and also not to drag of snow back in.

It was covered in snow right afterwards.

Naas, btw.

I notice the accumulations of snow on the roofs has significantly reduced, no doubt blown off by the winds.

And we're just beginning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

Gonzo wrote: »
    I've given up trying to measure the snow. This morning it was easy as it was an even 3 inches but now it's all over the place. Easily 6 to 8 inches in parts and over 12 in some drifts.Those dusty ice pellets have added to the snow depth here significantly.

Two cars, a metre apart. Scraped them both clear at 10am. The right is getting easterly in the face from side of house.

Moral of the story; it's snowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

jimbis wrote: »
    Just took a walk around dundrum shopping centre. If this is just the beginning then we're in for some serious weather. Pictures do no justice for the conditions out there.
    Live down south in the States, I've seen systems like this double that given the length and duration of the snow event up north USA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Balmed Out wrote: »
    Storm Emma a non event in clonakilty we had more snow on Wednesday night at this stage

The. Storm. Is. Still. In. France.

It hasn't reached us yet!
    How do you explain how city center and Kildare etc. are now covered and snowing and some eastern coastal places further south still have very little? I don't get it. Should have hit by now or if now how has it reached city center? Are those city showers not Emma? Streamers??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Gonzo wrote: »
    I've given up trying to measure the snow. .

You poor thing! Spare a thought for me who has given up hope on gettin any snow ;(

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

jimbis wrote: »

Great pics........ The same photos taken at the same time tomorrow will be interesting........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

JCX BXC wrote: »

Happy man JCX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

A part of me wants to stay up all night to see how this evolves, maybe a nice glass of port will settle things down :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Normal flakes where I am in d14 for last half hour, small though.

Is your window still wet?
    The precipitation does look whiter than earlier but still very small and kind of wet..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭DaithiMa

kn2k10 wrote: »
    Is that a cat or a snow spirit on the inside of that window?

Haha it is just a cat I am afraid to say. Here is another picture taken earlier today D15 River Tolka.

443930.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Live down south in the States, I've seen systems like this double that given the length and duration of the snow event up north USA.

Your post makes no sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Really?

Yeah really - I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or if its a genuine question - but if its a genuine question - When I checked earlier today it was pretty much in the same place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

pad199207 wrote: »
    Conditions gone extremely bad in Naas now

It must be extremely good when we see no pictures. I am envious:)

Advertisement