Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Live down south in the States, I've seen systems like this double that given the length and duration of the snow event up north USA.

We're in Ireland...:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,663 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Live down south in the States, I've seen systems like this double that given the length and duration of the snow event up north USA.

What's that got to do with anything? There is no comparisons to be had at all with the USA. Totally different climates.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

I'm guessing that if anything was going to happen it would've happened by now in cork city?....ah well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,604 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

A part of me wants to stay up all night to see how this evolves, maybe a nice glass of port will settle things down :)

But if you stay up all night you miss the WOW factor when waking up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Shadylou wrote: »
    I'm guessing that if anything was going to happen it would've happened by now in cork city?....ah well!

no, theres more to come during the course of the night.... as has been said..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 gummiebear

Zapperzy wrote: »
    According to my fellas employer in galway it is, usual start time is 7am but it's been extended to 9am. He's a product builder in a factory, not exactly a paramedic or nurse

Tell them to take a hike, my other half collapsed this morning walking to work. Fell on to road and was out for ten min. A&E staff took the day to regulate temp and blood pressure. Don't take the chance. Emma a no show in Cork by the way. Way worse last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Which site are ye using for the latest radar imagery?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭teddybones

Power gone wicklow town... have a back boiler and pump and just toppes up fire with extra coal amd wood...what do i do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

fritzelly wrote: »
    But if you stay up all night you miss the WOW factor when waking up

....or the ****ing typical!! factor. :mad:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Just ventured out into my backyard - there's a couple of feet of snow there already.

Well up past my wellys......

I'm actually getting worried for the morning now. I've 4 kids under the age of ten the youngest lad is 4.

I may get up at first light and start clearing a path.

The doors that open outwards are the worrying ones.

Between Naas and Blessington here.

That area is particularly bad. Brother-in-law was sending videos of the snow up past his knees earlier. Hang in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

wakka12 wrote: »
    Is your window still wet?
    The precipitation does look whiter than earlier but still very small and kind of wet..

velux windows that were wet earlier are now completely covered, its building up fairly fast now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

teddybones wrote: »
    Power gone wicklow town... have a back boiler and pump and just toppes up fire with extra coal amd wood...what do i do?

Close down air intakes completely and let the fire burn out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Absoutely ferocious blizzard under way in Delgany now and has been building for for an hour. Continuous moderate to heavy snow and rapid build up. I HAVE A DRIFT:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Insane blizzard here near Arklow continuing,the drifting is something else
    Looking at the ditches from upstairs in the house I’d estimate 3 or 4 ft deep there and it’s only 11pm

Wind gusting over 50kmh NE
    Air temp -0.4c
    Dp -0.7c
    Wet bulb -0.5c

Snow swirling up in air like a funnel

Mt was asking me the other day after commenting on a run did I still think was it Scottish research station tea and biscuits time :D
    This now is looking more like helicopter blade freezing territory
    Visibility very poor in this and it’s done all this in the space of a couple of hours with what 18 possibly 30 hrs to go
    I’ll get me bread :D
    It’s awesome looking at the drifts near the ditches spin up and pile up
    Weather nerd heaven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,604 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Which site are ye using for the latest radar imagery?

Should have this in the first post

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

A part of me wants to stay up all night to see how this evolves, maybe a nice glass of port will settle things down :)

I was just going to have a hot toddy (craving sugar) but I opened the bottle and well I don't like whiskey at all :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

One for the people complaining about the "unnecessary" warnings. This road was in perfect condition when Sky were live at around 6pm. Now if it wasn't for the crash barrier you wouldn't even know there was a 4 lane motorway there.

9c74047e15da626f65f1470aea9a5ac1.png

484906b97c77866af70fa608598fd931.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

northgirl wrote: »
    I was just going to have a hot toddy (craving sugar) but I opened the bottle and well I don't like whiskey at all :D

Sicko.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I remember thinking last night that it may surpass the main event which indeed it has up to now in Cork.....bit confused as to why it hasn't kicked off here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Shadylou wrote: »

No...The heavy stuff is only just approaching now.

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

• Advertisement

irishfeen wrote: »
    Close down air intakes completely and let the fire burn out.

Why? Keep her lit mate, at least you'll have hot water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

teddybones wrote: »

you be okay , just dont use water

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

Streets of Dundalk deserted - took a drive into town in search of food (mizonis last ones standing, everything else shut), snow is falling moderate in strong wind, a BMW stuck in the snow... rear wheel drives and snow don't mix well:D

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

MJohnston wrote: »
    Your post makes no sense

You got there before me MJ. Is it another 'you guys have no idea what real snow is, crikey how do people in foreign countries cope when it's -50 and 16 foot of snow has fallen' comment?
    This is Ireland. This is not our usual climate. This is unusual for us. Fun too for a lot of us. So far anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I remember thinking last night that it may surpass the main event which indeed it has up to now in Cork.....bit confused as to why it hasn't kicked off here

the heavy showers seem to be going west of the city/suburbs. So I am assuming we need to wait for the heaviest showers to move in from the west now. Looks like we may get something in about 30 minutes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Dropping in D1 now, and windy.

Looking quite Dr. Zhivago out there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

never seen anything like this here in my life..sorry if I keep repeating it. Full on blizzard. Moderate intensity but looks much worse thanks to +45 kt gusts from the east. Looks like it will snow at at least this intensity for the rest of the night/morning :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Definitely starting to accumulate in Walkinstown..put on a wash in the shed an hour ago and had to dig out the door to take it out..am tempted to stay up for a good while...;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Saw a chap trying to push his motorbike up Kimmage Road earlier. He had to turn back. Snow is still very fine but definitely heavier than it was and more visible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Lights flickering 3 times in the last 10 minutes here in Drogheda, I'm just over the Meath border. I'm aware Laytown has power issues, I hope the lights aren't a sign of it spreading here.

Advertisement