Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

antodeco wrote: »
    If that's it, 100% happy for there excitement. Maybe it's my naivety in assuming they get snow!

It's nice to see ye realise there is another place that gets bad weather outside Dublin 😘

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

What's caused this latest update of red alert nationwide has their being sufficient updates ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

bosco12345 wrote: »
    Is it just me or is met eireann all over the shop lately. Chopping and changing warnings for different places, I don't think they know where and how significant this is going to be. Red warming for all of Ireland seems to be just to cover themselves

Thats churlish and pretty ignorant of the dynamic meteorological situation. Not a weather forecast in the history of the science has been certain, you're talking about hundreds of variables.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

thomil wrote: »
    The original warning was only until 1200h on Friday.

Think the original warning started at 4 tomorrow on top of the one for today, but could be remembering wrong but pretty sure it wasnt a constant Red for the whole country

• Registered Users Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

He said the convective showers off the sea

I'm talking about showers off the north sea, not tomorrow's event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's eerily calm and clear here in Laois the last hour... like the eye of/calm before the storm I'm guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

bosco12345 wrote: »
    Is it just me or is met eireann all over the shop lately. Chopping and changing warnings for different places, I don't think they know where and how significant this is going to be. Red warming for all of Ireland seems to be just to cover themselves

I think their doing the best they can, this is something were not used to. I dont think anyone expected Cork to get this severe weather this evening. I think its best to be safe then sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

wakka12 wrote: »
    I thought that too, I think snow is just more rare in cork and maybe that's why the huge amount of excitement ? Sorry to talk about ye so patrionisngly hehe

Nothing patronising about it, we dont get snow in Cork City, like at all, so the amount that has fallen in the last 24 hours is a big deal to us and Cork people being Cork people it is our duty to tell the rest of the country how unreal we are with our snow sticking to the ground. As I said in my 28 years I think iv only seen snow twice that I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

A lot of snowfdall here in the last hour or so but is easing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Emma is about to eat Cavan!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

jo06555 wrote: »
    What's caused this latest update of red alert nationwide has their being sufficient updates ?

Look at the recent charts in the technical thread ,everywhere in the country is getting a lot of snow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

I thought that too, I think snow is just more rare in cork and maybe that's why the huge amount of excitement ? Sorry to talk about ye so patrionisngly hehe

This event is very localised so far. I am in Carrigaline 16km south of Cork City nearer the coast. We have been pummeled by snow since yesterday, last night, all day today and tonight. Drifts and all that, my back garden is under 2 ft of snow in parts at the moment.

Same goes for Kinsale, Clon for example. However apparently Mallow, Macroom have had no snow yesterday, earlier today, might have changed now. Cork City itself had a blast last night at around 8pm and that was it until this avo apparently.

So yes the Cork area is getting as much if not more snow than Dublin BUT not all of it by a long shot in the city itself which has relatively got away with it vs towns only 12 16kms away like Carrigaline, Kinsale etc.

Carrigaline this morning was a disastor zone, nothing moving. All main roads out to city impassable. Abandoned cars every where.

Again I cant stress more the very localised nature of this event ( in my opinion )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

A week ago this seemed like it was just an east coast event, now a nation wide red alert ! It's really way more exciting when everyone's getting a bit

A Week ago it was definitely an east coast event. They couldn’t say any more at the time. They know more now.

RuthieRose wrote: »

That's not Emma, it's a snow shower :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

anyone willing to hazard a guess at the chances of my flight going tomorrow at 8.30am ?

Id hoped the calm night and lack of snow might help. I know later flights are defo cancelled already.

the irony is I am supposed to be going skiing.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

Genuine question, is this still beast from east? Or Emma?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Does all that snow cover over Cork know there are other counties or is it just payback time - doesn't seem to have moved for hours?

Emma is from tomorrow evening onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep still BftE, Emma doesn't get to play till tomorrow afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Jaysus red status for everyone now, no work until Monday for me I think.

Mr.S wrote: »
    I’m confused now, is more snow coming tomorrow or just cold / windy weather?

What is there to be confused about? :confused::cool:

The answer is all the above.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Beast from the East....

Ho from Below is tomorrow evening onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Goose81 wrote: »
    Gaoth says the worst has passed, met eireann just updated to red for the whole country. Place your bets

Gaoth said worst has passed for easterlys, red warning is for Emma meeting the cold and the resulting blizzards. Different things and Gaoth confirmed as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Mr.S wrote: »
    I’m confused now, is more snow coming tomorrow or just cold / windy weather?

Much more on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Red warning seems a bit OTT to be honest, hope I'll be proved wrong. For example, what snowfall is Leitrim and Donegal going to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

RuthieRose wrote: »

That's the Beast, Emma is still hundreds of kilometers away. But yeah that looks nice a nice hefty streamer alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

is it now a nationwide red alert?
    or still just munster and leinster?

Advertisement