Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭highdef

The freezing rain is resulting a lot of power outages near coastal areas north of Dublin. 1000's without power at the moment. Over 4,500 off in the Swords area alone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

crustybla wrote: »
    You got there before me MJ. Is it another 'you guys have no idea what real snow is, crikey how do people in foreign countries cope when it's -50 and 16 foot of snow has fallen' comment?
    This is Ireland. This is not our usual climate. This is unusual for us. Fun too for a lot of us. So far anyway...

I felt he was trying to say he expects twice that amount of snow again after Emma comes through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Gone blizzard-like in Galway finally, car is covered again after I completely cleared it earlier. It's sticking to all the Windows too making it hard to see my lamppost.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Mini-flakes falling continuously in a mini-blizzard. Mid Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

kittyn wrote: »
    Great pics........ The same photos taken at the same time tomorrow will be interesting........

I have some drone pics/videos taken on Monday... Soon as its calm enough to fly I'll be back out for some comparasment pics :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

DP's and Temps rising in Wicklow but hammering down with snow at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

Dark Sky is a nice site that doesn't have Russian girlfriend ads plastered all over it.

https://darksky.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Whiteout D14..unbelievable..it seems to be just continually upping in intensity. Still small snowflakes
    Im off for a midnight wander int he blizzard :D

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

Been looking out at a lovely undisturbed road building up for ages, and now along come a group of little scumbags messing it all up, and blaring some god-awful rap music on a speaker while they do so...

I'm 21... when did I get old? XD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

delly wrote: »
    Lights flickering 3 times in the last 10 minutes here in Drogheda, I'm just over the Meath border. I'm aware Laytown has power issues, I hope the lights aren't a sign of it spreading here.

Electricity just gone now in Duleek....goodbye heating!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

More power cuts in Dublin ..ESB giving a ERT of Friday 20:00 poor folks ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

d'Oracle wrote: »
    I felt he was trying to say he expects twice that amount of snow again after Emma comes through.

Yeh.

The heavy stuff in the Irish Sea is literally inching its way towards Dublin. Meanwhile Wicklow mountains are totally pasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sdanseo wrote: »
    One for the people complaining about the "unnecessary" warnings. This road was in perfect condition when Sky were live at around 6pm. Now if it wasn't for the crash barrier you wouldn't even know there was a 4 lane motorway there.

Absolutely incredible. We likely won't see anything like this again in our lifetime. There will be some snow on the Wicklow Mountains for weeks to come after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Dublin 5 around raheny ramping up now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

fritzelly wrote: »
    Should have this in the first post

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

I wish I hadn't looked at that link.
    Lots of green and other bright colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Will all that rain be turning to snow in next band
    On radar heading south east it shows lots of green coming after what we have

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

wakka12 wrote: »
    Whiteout D14..unbelievable..it seems to be just continually upping in intensity. Still small snowflakes

If you don't report back in an hour should we assume the worst?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

antodeco wrote: »
    Nearly gone through all of today's wood. Will have to go out in the morning and start chopping more wood. This is what winter is all about!

It’s not winter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

We likely won't see anything like this again in our lifetime.

I wouldn't say that nacho libre :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

wakka12 wrote: »

Attach a guide rope going back to your house :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Set the camera to go off every min on a service marker across the road to mark snow dept

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

nimrod86 wrote: »
    Been looking out at a lovely undisturbed road building up for ages, and now along come a group of little scumbags messing it all up, and blaring some god-awful rap music on a speaker while they do so...

I'm 21... when did I get old? XD

At least tucking their tracky bottoms in socks makes sense tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭otherfrog

After that brief excursion outside... have decided to treat myself to a glass of whiskey in honour of Met Eireann and the Boards weather folks who called this so long back. I was so impressed with how early Ophelia was caught and modelled and same again with this - it must be more than a week ago when I first read about it here?

Luckily I've a good employer and also I'm not in a frontline role so I don't have to worry about getting in tomorrow.

Huge respect for the front line services who are at their posts now and will be in the morning.

I really hope other employers in affected areas, or with staff from affected areas, belatedly exercise cop on and let people stay home.

In this weather minor things can become major emergencies - a slip, a skid, a fall can lead to serious complications and they're always more likely to happen when people are under pressure.

Conversely, if people are able to enjoy a rare occurrence like the one we're having right now, the memories can be magical and last a lifetime.

*raises glass*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Goose81

Pentecost wrote: »
    Saw a chap trying to push his motorbike up Kimmage Road earlier. He had to turn back. Snow is still very fine but definitely heavier than it was and more visible.

As a biker that is absolutely Darwin candidate stuff riding in this weather. No doubt he had dropped it a few times before he decided to walk

It's quite unbelievable how thick some people are

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Snow/blizzard really getting going now in Dublin 16! Heavy fine snow with strong winds.

Had 10cm of level snow on the ground at 6pm. Now at 18cm (measured on the level) with higher drifts. -0.7c DP -1.4c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

antodeco wrote: »
    Nearly gone through all of today's wood. Will have to go out in the morning and start chopping more wood. This is what winter is all about!

Only problem is it's Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

otherfrog wrote: »
    After that brief excursion outside... have decided to treat myself to a glass of whiskey in honour of Met Eireann and the Boards weather folks who called this so long back. I was so impressed with how early Ophelia was caught and modelled and same again with this - it must be more than a week ago when I first read about it here?

Luckily I've a good employer and also I'm not in a frontline role so I don't have to worry about getting in tomorrow.

Huge respect for the front line services who are at their posts now and will be in the morning.

I really hope other employers in affected areas, or with staff from affected areas, belatedly exercise cop on and let people stay home.

In this weather minor things can become major emergencies - a slip, a skid, a fall can lead to serious complications and they're always more likely to happen when people are under pressure.

Conversely, if people are able to enjoy a rare occurrence like the one we're having right now, the memories can be magical and last a lifetime.

*raises glass*

Lovely post really lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

3 inches in 3 hours East kerry, cork border. ImpressiveðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭FirefighterT7

otherfrog wrote: »

*raises glass*
    Fire services all on standby in stations, can’t leave until alert is lifted, sitting here on hard wooden seat as we speak!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

jo06555 wrote: »
    Will all that rain be turning to snow in next band
    On radar heading south east it shows lots of green coming after what we have

Will all be snow.

Advertisement