Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

really hope my power doesn't go, lights flickering, wind howling and everything outside caked in ice, pellets and snow.

I'll need to get a floor sweeper to wipe the snow from the windows in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

sicknotexi wrote: »
    At least tucking their tracky bottoms in socks makes sense tonight.

And the obligatory hand down the trackies just to be sure it's still there

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Snow/blizzard really getting going now in Dublin 16! Heavy fine snow with strong winds.

Had 10cm of level snow on the ground at 6pm. Now at 18cm (measured on the level) with higher drifts. -0.7c DP -1.4c atm.

I've seen loads of mention of dew point temperature today, but what exactly is it?

On another note, does anyone know what council department deals in faulty lamposts? Nothing is sticking to the one outside the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Snow has stopped in Limerick and we've got about half an inch to an inch on the roads. Not too bad, as Limerick city normally gets nothing compared to the rest of the country when it snows

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Every time I read another post about accumulations of the heavy 'fine' snow I pop my head out the Velux....

.....nope.......still just a dusting on the roads in my corner of Bray.

This deeper red blob out in the Irish sea better deliver the good stuff

Xanax yet to kick in. :(

;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Fellow on Twitter - https://twitter.com/jnrbaker - has been taking the opportunity of the red warning to get some lovely shots of deserted Dublin:

DXOTkEPX4AUPwMW.jpg:large

DXOXcWPW4AAE2gh.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that nacho libre :).

You talking about the next event next week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭otherfrog

Fire services all on standby in stations, can’t leave until alert is lifted, sitting here on hard wooden seat as we speak!

Thanks for being there, massive respect for you.

Hope you get a chance to enjoy the conditions if possible or at least have some downtime soon!

Cheers and stay safe.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

A few months back I got all my windows and doors replaced with storm grade windows and doors. The difference this makes. I'm lying on the bed in total silence and then look out the window and see the Siberian attack happening! If it wasn't for the creaking roof as the wind hits it, I'd never know!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

nimrod86 wrote: »
    I've seen loads of mention of dew point temperature today, but what exactly is it?

Rather then me try to explain....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dew_point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Might as well chuck this in here as well, posted on the Tech thread

2300Z Dublin TAF pushes the moderate snow out to beginning at 00Z and continuing right through to tomorrow midnight.

00Z to 09Z still +SN but as a PROB40 as opposed to no PROB earlier
    TAF: EIDW 012300Z 0200/0224 08030G45KT 2000 -SN BKN008
    TEMPO 0200/0224 0400 SN OVC002 - moderate snow for the full day 2nd, visibility 400m
    PROB40 TEMPO 0200/0209 0200 +SN BKN001 - heavy snow 40% chance 00Z to 09Z, visibility 200m (a drop from projected 300m earlier, a sign that they expect it to perhaps be slightly more intense)
    TEMPO 0203/0208 08035G52KT - wind gusting 52kt 0300 to 0800
    BECMG 0209/0212 08025G40KT - wind gusting 40kt 0900-1200
    TEMPO 0212/0224 08022G35KT - hopefully you get the picture at this stage :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

Definitely an interesting few hours ahead!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Calibos wrote: »
    Every time I read another post about accumulations of the heavy 'fine' snow I pop my head out the Velux....

I'm down in little bray and we have more than a dusting. Everywhere white

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

nimrod86 wrote: »

On another note, does anyone know what council department deals in faulty lamposts? Nothing is sticking to the one outside the house!

Lampost not showing Snow then ?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭morticia2

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that nacho libre :).

Isn't the solar minimum next year (or two)? This may mean more of this sort of thing....?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

sdanseo wrote: »
    Might as well chuck this in here as well, posted on the Tech thread

2300Z Dublin TAF pushes the moderate snow out to beginning at 00Z and continuing right through to tomorrow midnight.

00Z to 09Z still +SN but as a PROB40 as opposed to no PROB earlier

any chance you'd be able to decode the latest Cork TAF for us cork people waiting for the blizzard? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Heavy winds in celbridge for the last few hours, not even sure if this is the main event yet? Some amount of snow fell today so far. I'm already excited about what morning will bring!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

MJohnston wrote: »
    Fellow on Twitter - https://twitter.com/jnrbaker - has been taking the opportunity of the red warning to get some lovely shots of deserted Dublin:

You could sell those pics..stunning
    Id genuinely hang that one of parliament street in my house

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Wind is really really crazy here now. Loads of consistent downblasts, roofs being almost cleared of snow onto the path below. Mad squalling. Still more like tiny ice bullets all flying around.
    It’s mad being able to see the shape of the wind when it’s like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Goose81 wrote: »
    Why? Keep her lit mate, at least you'll have hot water

No pump to move the water, put a large pot of water on top heat will transfer to the cold pot of water, reducing the heat and pressure in the back boiler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

any chance you'd be able to decode the latest Cork TAF for us cork people waiting for the blizzard? :)

Sure.
    EICK 012300Z
    0200/0224 04017KT 3000 -SN BKN008 - light snow for next 24hrs (exceptions below)
    TEMPO 0200/0210 06020G30KT 0400 SN OVC002 - 00Z to 10Z moderate snow visibility 400m
    PROB40 TEMPO 0200/0210 0200 +SN OVC001 - 40% chance 00Z to 10Z heavy snow, visibility 200m
    BECMG 0209/0212 07015KT - 09Z to 12Z winds just 15kt
    TEMPO 0210/0224 1200 SNRA BKN003 - 10Z to midnight tomorrow moderate sleet (more snow than rain)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'm down in little bray and we have more than a dusting. Everywhere white

Yeah, everything is white here too......with a dusting! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Visibility falling near Santry, ice and increasingly snow. Really piling up against windward locations. Not far off lift off now!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭FirefighterT7

otherfrog wrote: »
    Fire services all on standby in stations, can’t leave until alert is lifted, sitting here on hard wooden seat as we speak!

Thanks for being there, massive respect for you.

Hope you get a chance to enjoy the conditions if possible or at least have some downtime soon!

Cheers and stay safe.
    That’s why we do the job to help, no thanks needed but thanks, a bed would be nice now though! I love snow personally just wish could enjoy it with the kids but we here for how ever long the snow is!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MaccaTacca

You must be joking? I live close to the seafront in Bray, just walked out onto the street, and footsteps from when I last checked an hour ago are now gone.

These small snowflakes are causing decent accumulations, and are building steadily for what’s to come.

If you look at the radar, only a tiny piece of this storm has currently passed over the Bray/Shankill area, there’s hours of this to go.

I’m confident we’ll get falls that are not too far from the predicted meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Gonzo wrote: »
    really hope my power doesn't go, lights flickering, wind howling and everything outside caked in ice, pellets and snow.

I'll need to get a floor sweeper to wipe the snow from the windows in the morning.

My Mam lives in Dunshaughlin and power went early this morning. Was back early afternoon though, fair play to ESB. Seemed to be only a small number of houses affected (about 180 and around Skryne area). Hope you don't lose it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Calibos I thought that too in D14 but you should go out and look, not from a window, this drift snow is causing deceivingly large accumulations. Its 5 or so inches here since dinner time

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Anyone know when the good stuff is to hit mid west

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Yeah, everything is white here too......with a dusting! :D

Haha we're back to Tuesday night levels. Hoping for more by the time I'm awake in the morning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

There's a fine dusting of sparkly ice particles whooshing around and outside the square I live in. The cars are covered in several inches of impacted snow so although I'm sure it's not a popular opinion I can truly say I've had enough already :pac:

Advertisement