Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

NMB wrote: »
    You talking about the next event next week ?

No, Winters 2018-19 to 2020-21 perhaps thanks to solar minimum. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭blackvalley

teddybones wrote: »
    Power gone wicklow town... have a back boiler and pump and just toppes up fire with extra coal amd wood...what do i do?

No need to panic . Just allow fire to burn down as normal . You may hear some strange noise from boiler as water may actually be boiling inside but once again that is no harm.
    Some of your rads will not heat without the pump but you hot taps should work fine. Quite safe to operate a small fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Lucyryan1983

Help!! My whole house smells like dog farts and I can't open a window!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Rochestown Co. Cork, hasn't snowed in a few hours. Not a gust of wind. Eerily calm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Cracked open the Jack Daniels, not sure i'll ever witness an event like this again in my lifetime!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-10.88,53.47,2875

Going by this Emma is finding it slow going to arrive here, beast is kicking her ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

DominoDub wrote: »
    Lampost not showing Snow then ?:D

Not a bit no! having to resort to using the side of the car instead! Mad how it's the west facing side of the car collecting snow though! The winds are mental here! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Wind really picking up in D5

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Rochestown Co. Cork, hasn't snowed in a few hours. Not a gust of wind. Eerily calm.

no wind here yet either, surprised thought it would have picked up a bit by now. Bishopstown area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

hmmm...Rochestown Co Cork also (Coach Hill)...been snowing lightly for a couple of hours now. Can see it in a street light right outside the window where I am sitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Titain

Probably wouldn’t even call it a weather event in the south-west. Nice to see the south-east had some snow. Roll on the nice spring weather
    I live in the sw and it's definately a weather event. Laying snow this close to the sea is a rare event (and will probably cause more than a few problems on roads) :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,090 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

nimrod86 wrote: »
    Been looking out at a lovely undisturbed road building up for ages, and now along come a group of little scumbags messing it all up, and blaring some god-awful rap music on a speaker while they do so...

I'm 21... when did I get old? XD

It's just rap, there is no music .

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Wind howling now in Drimnagh but snow still very fine. I need to go asleep soon but I don't wanna miss the main event :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Ludo wrote: »
    hmmm...Rochestown Co Cork also (Coach Hill)...been snowing lightly for a couple of hours now.

Up by the Rochestown College. Not a drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So forgive my ignorance but has the big event started in Dublin yet? It’s been a steady fall of that light frozen drizzle in Shankill from about 5pm and the snow levels are really creeping up now. Windy out there but not what you’d call a storm yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Looking out my window in Waterford there's very fine snow driving sideways. It's basically parallel to the road. Think I might stay here all night!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

sryanbruen wrote: »
    No, Winters 2018-19 to 2020-21 perhaps thanks to solar minimum. ;)

Without taking the thread off topic at all, are you expecting this solar minimum to be more drastic than the last (where we had two memorable snow events in the same year, but nothing much else of a similar scale)?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that nacho libre :).

I really hope not Sryan:) I'm a bit older than you though:o

Anyway congrats to you all. I'm not even there and I am excited reading the posts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭CZ 453

no wind here yet either, surprised thought it would have picked up a bit by now. Bishopstown area.

Roads are covered completely in the estates. Main road has the odd track but largely covered. Calm. The ice under the snow is treacherous though.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

Thicker snow now finally falling in Clonmel. The changeover from the grainy stuff was pretty much instantaneous as the darker band on the radar passed over us. Not really any increase in wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

MJohnston wrote: »
    Fellow on Twitter - https://twitter.com/jnrbaker - has been taking the opportunity of the red warning to get some lovely shots of deserted Dublin:

I guess they can make a sequel to the Guinness add tonight.....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Up by the Rochestown College. Not a drop.

That's mad. I am on the slope overlooking Monastery Road and it has been non stop. I could walk to RoCo in 5 mins and yet there is that much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

sdanseo wrote: »
    Without taking the thread off topic at all, are you expecting this solar minimum to be more drastic than the last (where we had two memorable snow events in the same year, but nothing much else of a similar scale)?

Going by what I've seen and some of my own reanalysis, most certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Gonzo wrote: »
    Cracked open the Jack Daniels, not sure i'll ever witness an event like this again in my lifetime!

Next week ?? Get another bottle prolonging the pleasure sure this is at least a 10 day to 14 “event”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

MaccaTacca wrote: »
    You must be joking? I live close to the seafront in Bray, just walked out onto the street, and footsteps from when I last checked an hour ago are now gone.

These small snowflakes are causing decent accumulations, and are building steadily for what’s to come.

If you look at the radar, only a tiny piece of this storm has currently passed over the Bray/Shankill area, there’s hours of this to go.

I’m confident we’ll get falls that are not too far from the predicted meter.

Meath Road. I can still see the tire marks of the last car an hour ago literally half the length of the Meath Road away!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

ZX7R wrote: »
    No pump to move the water, put a large pot of water on top heat will transfer to the cold pot of water, reducing the heat and pressure in the back boiler
    Just run the hot water tap to release the pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Current view in Ballygunner, Waterford.

That hazy look is just constant, light snow driving sideways.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

otherfrog wrote: »
    After that brief excursion outside... have decided to treat myself to a glass of whiskey in honour of Met Eireann and the Boards weather folks who called this so long back. I was so impressed with how early Ophelia was caught and modelled and same again with this - it must be more than a week ago when I first read about it here?

Luckily I've a good employer and also I'm not in a frontline role so I don't have to worry about getting in tomorrow.

Huge respect for the front line services who are at their posts now and will be in the morning.

I really hope other employers in affected areas, or with staff from affected areas, belatedly exercise cop on and let people stay home.

In this weather minor things can become major emergencies - a slip, a skid, a fall can lead to serious complications and they're always more likely to happen when people are under pressure.

Conversely, if people are able to enjoy a rare occurrence like the one we're having right now, the memories can be magical and last a lifetime.

*raises glass*

Slainte agus Sneachta!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dublinwolf

In D14, snow is really, really heavy here with severe winds and ice. I would say almost 2 feet outside in my garden and on the main road. Have been window watching, already seen someone with no helmet or jacket riding a moped and a van crash in the last half hour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Copious amounts falling here.

Advertisement