Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 irlgw

Went into Dublin city centre for a packet of lemonsips. very driveable and about 20 taxis operating. not much snow around high buildings but whipping up around intersections. you def don't want to be walking in it and some people couldn't hold on to the floor although they might have been otherwise impaired!. snow looks deep in places but really isn't. One pub open on wexford street. bring a brolly if you must walk in as it would be useful for identifying drunks under the snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Just left a big piece of plywood leaning against my front door, don't want it falling into my halway in the morning...the snow that is.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭optogirl

D7. Been pelting down with the small icy snow for hours and the depth has risen slowly but considerably. Drops look more like flaky snow now. Have a feeling we won't be able to open the doors tomorrow. Mesmerising to watch and go out into briefly!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,637 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Why did I think it was meant to ease off after 11pm?

The back garden is getting absolutely mullered here (Tallaght).

Never seen accumulations like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Just back from the roof; the gusts are the problem, it makes it difficult to get comfortable and can lull you into a false sense of security. There are good boundaries though so no issue of actually blowing off.

Visibility is not too bad as the snow is still light. There was a consistent lathering of it on the roof earlier today but now it has all blown into two corners of the roof, remarkable how this has happened. There is just a pile of snow up to my knee in a corner of the roof while other parts have no more snow. Exciting and exhilarating, pics not great unfortunately!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Really coming down now.

No words! It's just awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Its been snowing in Dublin all day.

Some of Dublin..a large amount of south dublin hasn't had any significant accumulations since tuesday night until tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Whiplashy wrote: »
    Not much happening here, Tipp/Kilkenny border. A bit windy and no snow falling. I'm going to finish my glass of wine and turn in for the night. I'm sure something will happen, but could be hours away, and don't feel like staying up all night. Pity, as I'd like to have seen a blizzard. I'm in the country too, so not much hope of seeing much anyway since we've no street lights!
    I was in that exact location in '82,thought it would happen every January then as i was 9:o Before you know it 36yrs have gone by but luckily in Dublin tonight and was in 2010 also:)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Sariah

Holy moly I just looked outside my bedroom window. The snow drifts are up to garden wall level on my neighbours road. Like the paths are now wall level. We are going to be so snowed in here. Ballycullen D24

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Just back from the roof; the gusts are the problem, it makes it difficult to get comfortable and can lull you into a false sense of security. There are good boundaries though so no issue of actually blowing off.

Visibility is not too bad as the snow is still light. There was a consistent lathering of it on the roof earlier today but now it has all blown into two corners of the roof, remarkable how this has happened. There is just a pile of snow up to my knee in a corner of the roof while other parts have no more snow. Exciting and exhilarating, pics not great unfortunately!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just on another note on this fierce cold and snowy night in Dublin. Any street sleepers who refuse shelter should be sectioned at this stage. Sorry for being so blunt.

It is a no win situation, either they die of hypothermia and the unfeeling Government/public is to blame, or they are carted off against their will. Sigh.

TBH anyone who refuses shelter and sleeps in a doorway tonight needs that kind of help anyway IMO.

But at least if they are sectioned they will have shelter. Even for the duration of this.

Back to window watching..... Yep, still belting down that powdery icy stuff here,but the levels outside are getting higher by the minute. I have everything in lock down so I can't hear the wind. But the trees are doing a bit of a dance out there alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

I'm starting to feel a bit freaked out now too. I have 2 tropical fish tanks running heaters and filters off electricity and I'm low on water conditioner. I hadn't thought about power cuts or stock piling food as I thought we were just going to get some decent snow. This is a whole other animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Why did I think it was meant to ease off after 11pm?

The back garden is getting absolutely mullered here (Tallaght).

Never seen accumulations like this.

Quite the opposite , it was predicted to get considerably heavier from 12 on

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Few flashes of lightning here in Balgriffin, N. Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Crazy here on the south-east coast.

Next time I open the front door I’m expecting to see a polar bear waiting outside to get in! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Getting heavier in Galway city.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Francie

What are the chances of getting a taxi in Dublin lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Don't remember snow ever being so dry - almost like powder. Just cracked open another bottle of white as this is too awesome to sleep through.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,637 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

wakka12 wrote: »
    Quite the opposite , it was predicted to get considerably heavier from 12 on

I'll take that.

Heavier? Aye caramba.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Power gone in South Swords..
    Was looking out the window and something black and plastic broke away from my roof area.
    Only problem with that is there is nothing black and plastic on my roof?!

Not any more there isn't. :}
    Hope it's nothing important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

The trees are barely moving now in D22.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Just on another note on this fierce cold and snowy night in Dublin. Any street sleepers who refuse shelter should be sectioned at this stage. Sorry for being so blunt.

It is a no win situation, either they die of hypothermia and the unfeeling Government/public is to blame, or they are carted off against their will. Sigh.

TBH anyone who refuses shelter and sleeps in a doorway tonight needs that kind of help anyway IMO.

But at least if they are sectioned they will have shelter. Even for the duration of this.

Back to window watching..... Yep, still belting down that powdery icy stuff here,but the levels outside are getting higher by the minute. I have everything in lock down so I can't hear the wind. But the trees are doing a bit of a dance out there alright.

Don't be so quick to judge.
    Some of those people are avoiding the emergency beds because they have had terrible experiences in emergency accomodation before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Paully D wrote: »

Next time I open the front door I’m expecting to see a polar bear waiting outside to get in! :eek:

Whatever you do don't feed him carrots.

Polar bears don't like carrots

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

Skedaddle wrote: »
    I'm just wondering are people possibly overloading networks in some areas too with a lot of electric heating loads.
    Overloading wouldn't generally be an issue for networks at times like this as any factories or industrial properties are all closed that would normally be open. As much as people think heaters etc have big loads they aren't comparable to factories standard loads. Christmas day and Stephens day have the lowest electricity consumption in the year which shows the effect industry has

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Markgc

When is Emma expected to reach midlands and pass? !!
    Have four cats kept in since midday and they're due to burrow through wall right about now!!!

Very poor forecast. Eight hours since supposed curfew and no sign!
    Millions lost to economy with road maintenance suspended.

They cried wolf!
    It'll fall on deaf ears next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭cravings

just went for a quick walk in sandyford area.. it's pretty hostile out there! but pretty impressive. it really has been snowing.

my car is disappearing...

2gpe65P.jpg

this is a fairly busy road normally... minimum 10cm, up to top of wellies in places.. was totally gritted and just wet this evening.

IDr4FUM.jpg

m50, junction 13, northbound, from the bridge above.. not easy to take photos with a phone heh. very windy!

Btauy2w.jpg

if it was really simple to just join up a few short video clips on a phone with the youtube app, i'd have done that by now...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

humberklog wrote: »
    Few flashes of lightning here in Balgriffin, N. Dublin.

Saw those flashes and my power gone. No thunder so thought transformer blew?

Fine snow with the odd bigger flake and heavy too. Accumulating nicely last time I could see :(

-0.1C

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Paully D wrote: »

let him in...it's awful cold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

sean555 wrote: »
    New red warning from Met E., Galway just added to Leinster and Munster.

Must be a hurling thing, bringing Galway into Leinster! :rolleyes:

Up to -0.6c here in south Laois, quite windy with lots of blowing fine snow.

Advertisement