Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedmanDublin

Building up fast. Proper flakes now.

Santry

Hi Kermit. It's lashing down here, but still small flakes, dusty kind of stuff. What affects the size of the flakes? I'd be close to the sea maybe that is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Trebor176 wrote: »
    The trees are barely moving now in D22.

Yeh wind has seemed to ease off (apart from huge gust as I typed..) is the eye of the storm over south dub at the mo?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Markgc wrote: »
    When is Emma expected to reach midlands and pass? !!
    Have four cats kept in since midday and they're due to burrow through wall right about now!!!

Very poor forecast. Eight hours since supposed curfew and no sign!
    Millions lost to economy with road maintenance suspended.

They cried wolf!
    It'll fall on deaf ears next time!

There is a lot of the world outside your garden, bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Something interesting I've noticed, icicles growing on the street lights, (low pressure sodium street lights).

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

nothing much happening in Tipp. Don't think we will get more thank an inch or 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Holy crap I've never seen anything like this! Really strong winds and driving snow in the rathfarnham area. Wind screeching through the back garden, a thunderous sound as the snow deposits in drifts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Lightning in Raheny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Have four cats kept in since midday and they're due to burrow through wall right about now!!!

They cried wolf!

Except there are parts of Ireland with a few feet of snow already. Well drifts anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

They cried wolf!

Get over yourself
    https://news.sky.com/story/live-travel-disruption-as-storm-emma-rolls-in-11271510

At least one major accident today in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

They cried wolf!

Don't be stupid , I'm in Dublin 22 and it's scary out there. Cop on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭bassy

tom1ie wrote: »
    Holy crap I've never seen anything like this! Really strong winds and driving snow in the rathfarnham area. Wind screeching through the back garden, a thunderous sound as the snow deposits in drifts!!

Wham bham bat man

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

They cried wolf!

Uhm..are you telling me you think it's safe to be out in this?

https://twitter.com/DublinAirport/status/969368265662267393

afd7ff8763537c4a898be203d0bd67ec.png

https://twitter.com/merrionstreet/status/969373505266569216

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

The wind hasnt let up here since Wednesday evening. Just a constant howl blasting in off the North Irish Sea. Lights flickering.
    Snow has been a bit lighter for the last hour overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

rsl1976 wrote: »
    Lightning in Raheny
    Saw that from here too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

cravings wrote: »
    just went for a quick walk in sandyford area.. it's pretty hostile out there! but pretty impressive. it really has been snowing.

my car is disappearing...

this is a fairly busy road normally... minimum 10cm, up to top of wellies in places.. was totally gritted and just wet this evening.

m50, junction 13, northbound, from the bridge above.. not easy to take photos with a phone heh. very windy!

if it was really simple to just join up a few short video clips on a phone with the youtube app, i'd have done that by now...

Is that up from lambs cross?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Last two days have been frustrating for North Wicklow from a snow POV but tonight is making up for it. Incredible night so far with much more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭OrangeBadger

Setting windy in Sligo, snow beginning to arrive but its very light

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Paully D wrote: »
    Crazy here on the south-east coast.

Next time I open the front door I’m expecting to see a polar bear waiting outside to get in! :eek:

:)

moPM71N.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

There's at least 4inches of snow on the road in my estate in Dublin South West (measured it with a ruler). Cleared snow from the garden paths but the snowfall is non-stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

wakka12 wrote: »
    Yeh wind has seemed to ease off (apart from huge gust as I typed..) is the eye of the storm over south dub at the mo?

Still way off to the South West.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Don't be so quick to judge.
    Some of those people are avoiding the emergency beds because they have had terrible experiences in emergency accomodation before.

I also remember listening to an interview with one guy who said that mentally he would find it too tough to go back onto the street after having been brought into temporary accommodation for a few days. He maintained that it has taken him a lot of physical and mental strength to get to the stage where he could persevere and he couldn't go back to knowing what it was like not to sleep on the streets, because it would make the inevitable return to them unbearable. It made a lot of sense once he said it like that, but it was heartbreaking to hear at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭adam240610

One of my friends in dublin who has roughly 20cm of snow all around just had an ambulance prank called to his house. Who in their right mind would do something so stupid and reckless, putting the lives of the ambulance drivers at risk and potentially delaying them getting to someone else. Hope they're found and charged, this has me angry.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

They cried wolf!

Sorry its snowed here in Newbridge since 8:30 this morning , the only wolf crying will be the ones stuck under the snow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Unbelievable snow now in dublin 5. Hypnotic to watch. Drifts climbing my garden wall

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Can hear the wind roaring now in Stoneybatter. If that’s not a blizzard what is. You can’t even open your eyes in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Uthur

has emma reached dublin yet? winds are a bit brisk but nothing too severe. and is it ever going to stop snowing!! xD

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Since this snow arrived, my wife has not stopped looking through the window.
    If it gets any worse, i will have to let her in!!

Yes, yes, im here all week!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Don't be so quick to judge.
    Some of those people are avoiding the emergency beds because they have had terrible experiences in emergency accomodation before.

I don't want to derail the thread but the issue is severe weather related.

Honestly, could a night or two in a shelter that is supervised with hot food be any worse than freezing to death on the streets? These people have bigger issues than worrying about being in a hostel. If that's judgmental so be it. It's the truth in weather like this anyway.

Back to the snow now! Still pelting down here and I swear it's gone a further couple of cms already. Cannot see the trees in the park out the back anymore. Visibility is reducing fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Overloading wouldn't generally be an issue for networks at times like this as any factories or industrial properties are all closed that would normally be open. As much as people think heaters etc have big loads they aren't comparable to factories standard loads. Christmas day and Stephens day have the lowest electricity consumption in the year which shows the effect industry has

Wrong. You can easily blow your 63a fuse in your house by having heavy inductive loads on at the same time. An example would be your cooker and electric shower. It may not overload the network outside your house but it will blow the fuse in your main switch fuse unit, leaving you in the dark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭cravings

yeah near there.. blackglen road, other side of lamb doyles.

Advertisement