Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

Overloading wouldn't generally be an issue for networks at times like this as any factories or industrial properties are all closed that would normally be open. As much as people think heaters etc have big loads they aren't comparable to factories standard loads. Christmas day and Stephens day have the lowest electricity consumption in the year which shows the effect industry has

They'd be very unlikely to overload at medium voltage distribution line level, I'm thinking more just local lines. I know we had a fuse blow out at Xmas twice due to just too many ovens on along one street.

Most of the faults on the site seem to be very local 10s of homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

Virginia snow machine is still going full belt. Serious stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭abacus120

I don't want to derail the thread but the issue is severe weather related.

Honestly, could a night or two in a shelter that is supervised with hot food be any worse than freezing to death on the streets? These people have bigger issues than worrying about being in a hostel. If that's judgmental so be it. It's the truth in weather like this anyway.

Back to the snow now! Still pelting down here and I swear it's gone a further couple of cms already. Cannot see the trees in the park out the back anymore. Visibility is reducing fast!
    there was a guy on joe Duffy living in a car with smashed windows,joe and all others trying to help and no budging him.
    terrible sad to listen too,thinking of him tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Anyone know what it’s like cabinteely / foxrock?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Struggling to see across the street any more. Probably because I’m quite pissed now but there’s also driving snow. (D6W)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

It's been slowly getting worse in cork city, but very slowly. Undecided to stay up and wait or go to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

I don't want to derail the thread but the issue is severe weather related.

Honestly, could a night or two in a shelter that is supervised with hot food be any worse than freezing to death on the streets? These people have bigger issues than worrying about being in a hostel. If that's judgmental so be it. It's the truth in weather like

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Markgc

Sorry its snowed here in Newbridge since 8:30 this morning , the only wolf crying will be the ones stuck under the snow

Sure here too, about 10 inches. No problem. But to shut whole country down for system approaching just now is backward.

They could of had rolling red warning zones. The storm traversing slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭jds0ur

It's Snowing!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

The blue flashes people have been seeing are probably transformers blowing, not lightning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

Seeing lightning flashes in North Dublin, no thunder tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭SAXA

Galway rural SE poster...have had light to medium snow fall here for 4 hours on top of last nights fall. Roads blocked due snow drifts. Current hirim seems to push further north so ME red warning justified..we are further south than north Clare which was red anyway..I know that natural bounderies like counties have to be used but large counties like Galway which have two different topologies may justified in being split

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

jds0ur wrote: »
    It's Snowing!

Being hit bad I mean? As we have seen today it can be quite localized.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Since this snow arrived, my wife has not stopped looking through the window.
    If it gets any worse, i will have to let her in!!

Yes, yes, im here all week!

Much like that joke has been here all week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Not sure how to describe Tramore, the snow is piled in gardens and such, in my garden it is up past my knees and my neighbours garden it is nearly level with his boundry wall. There is easily 2 - 3 foot. Considering I am at sea level this really is one for the history books.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

jamesbere wrote: »
    It's been slowly getting worse in cork city, but very slowly. Undecided to stay up and wait or go to bed

which part? still much the same here in bishopstown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Pelting down pellets, very low visibility. Has been like this for about 4 or 5 hours now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

which part? still much the same here in bishopstown

No change in Rochestown.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

It's utter chaos here in Celbridge... Total blizzard, no visibility. They may lift the stay at home ban at 6pm tomorrow but there will have to be some serious thaw before going anywhere on Saturday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,492 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Markgc wrote: »
    When is Emma expected to reach midlands and pass? !!
    Have four cats kept in since midday and they're due to burrow through wall right about now!!!

Very poor forecast. Eight hours since supposed curfew and no sign!
    Millions lost to economy with road maintenance suspended.

They cried wolf!
    It'll fall on deaf ears next time!

Just about this. It was not a curfew but a warning and advice. Big difference.

Rest of your poor post can be torn apart by others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Pentecost wrote: »
    Struggling to see across the street any more. Probably because I’m quite pissed now but there’s also driving snow. (D6W)

Love your honesty there, but visibility is quite bad too due to snowfall as you say. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    You in the Shadow of Mount Leinster?
    fg1406 wrote: »
    Not quite. That’s a good 30km away at least.

You said you were in East Kilkenny. As the crow flies you're much closer than 30 km from Mount Leinster, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dublinwolf

Just looked outside my bedroom window, live next to a prominent bridge in Dublin. A guy was standing on the edge of it, holding on with one arm, 3 fire trucks underneath and a civilian car. 2 firefighters eventually talked him down. Frightening stuff. Blizzard is now immense and visibility extremely poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Definitely getting worse in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

city centre cork out the western road, very fine snow falling gently. everything coated in white, including the empty roads. quite a bizarre scene. youngfellas walking around in the middle of the road like it's a zombie apocalypse or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Snow is so heavy here in Ringsend that a neighbour of mine with their curtains open is watching a bright TV and the light is reflecting on the sheets of snow coming down outside. Thought it was lightning at first, just shows how intense it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

tom1ie wrote: »
    Wrong. You can easily blow your 63a fuse in your house by having heavy inductive loads on at the same time. An example would be your cooker and electric shower. It may not overload the network outside your house but it will blow the fuse in your main switch fuse unit, leaving you in the dark.

Go back and look at the original post, networks were mentioned, not 63 amp main switch fuses in your own consumer unit. Sure at that rate we might aswell be talking about individual circuits if your going that small. By the way if your 63 amp fuse blows that has nothing to do with the esb and they won't be fixing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Just on another note on this fierce cold and snowy night in Dublin. Any street sleepers who refuse shelter should be sectioned at this stage. Sorry for being so blunt.

It is a no win situation, either they die of hypothermia and the unfeeling Government/public is to blame, or they are carted off against their will. Sigh.

TBH anyone who refuses shelter and sleeps in a doorway tonight needs that kind of help anyway IMO.

But at least if they are sectioned they will have shelter. Even for the duration of this.

Back to window watching..... Yep, still belting down that powdery icy stuff here,but the levels outside are getting higher by the minute. I have everything in lock down so I can't hear the wind. But the trees are doing a bit of a dance out there alright.

Apparently some rough sleepers were actually sectioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Being hit bad I mean? As we have seen today it can be quite localized.

I think all of east coast is experiencing heavy snow right now tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

You would think that it wasn't snowing that much by looking at certain surfaces, but it really is piling up in some spots. Have easily gotten 5-6cm out of this system already. Trees are all plastered. Gusts brushing the 45 kt mark I would say. Powdery snow now.

Advertisement