Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

I am just going outside. I may be some time.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

jamesbere wrote: »
    It's been slowly getting worse in cork city, but very slowly. Undecided to stay up and wait or go to bed

Likewise. Still quite came here and don't want to miss the best of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

dublinwolf wrote: »
    Just looked outside my bedroom window, live next to a prominent bridge in Dublin. A guy was standing on the edge of it, holding on with one arm, 3 fire trucks underneath and a civilian car. 2 firefighters eventually talked him down. Frightening stuff. Blizzard is now immense and visibility extremely poor.

What bridge? He was going to jump?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Temporary power cut in Portmarnock. Came back quick enough but now worried that it'll go again.

Still no real advance on what we had earlier... Lots of freezing rain and wind but not much what you'd call snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

wakka12 wrote: »
    Some of Dublin..a large amount of south dublin hasn't had any significant accumulations since tuesday night until tonight

Where is South Dublin? It extends from parts of Bray to Tallaght and into the city centre.

The conditions vary depending where you are.

In my part of "South Dublin" (Rathgar), we have had significant accumulations of snow.

While it is not visible on roofs etc, it is drifting. My back garden is covered with about 2-3' of snow thanks to all the stuff that is getting blown of roofs etc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I don't want to derail the thread but the issue is severe weather related.

Honestly, could a night or two in a shelter that is supervised with hot food be any worse than freezing to death on the streets? These people have bigger issues than worrying about being in a hostel. If that's judgmental so be it. It's the truth in weather like this anyway.

Back to the snow now! Still pelting down here and I swear it's gone a further couple of cms already. Cannot see the trees in the park out the back anymore. Visibility is reducing fast!

If you knew what went on in those so called hostels you’d choose the street too. Being unable to sleep coz people are smoking and injectjng heroin around you and then being afraid to fall asleep cos you’ll be robbed or even being robbed while you’re wide awake doesn’t offer much appeal. At least your left alone and avoided on the streets. That’s the thinking.

Thankfully it seems everyone is safe so far and no fatalities from all this regardless of status.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

This is deffo the only time 1500 boardsies have been active on the weather forum at 1am in the morning :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

dublinwolf wrote: »
    Just looked outside my bedroom window, live next to a prominent bridge in Dublin. A guy was standing on the edge of it, holding on with one arm, 3 fire trucks underneath and a civilian car. 2 firefighters eventually talked him down. Frightening stuff. Blizzard is now immense and visibility extremely poor.

God help him, I hope he gets the help he needs.

Well played to those who intervened.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

wakka12 wrote: »
    I think all of east coast is experiencing heavy snow right now tbh

Not in North county Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I'm guessing that Ireland is somewhere under that big pink blob on netweather.tv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

RE power usage, it’s nothing special: http://smartgriddashboard.eirgrid.com/#all/demand

Peaks about 600MW below all-time high.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

That's tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Go back and look at the original post, networks were mentioned, not 63 amp main switch fuses in your own consumer unit. Sure at that rate we might aswell be talking about individual circuits if your going that small. By the way if your 63 amp fuse blows that has nothing to do with the esb and they won't be fixing it.

Yes but plenty of people ring in a fault to ESB saying the electricity is gone, when its there own 63a fuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Recliner

Very eerie out in the back garden and seeing how bright it is right now. Looks like daybreak..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

NMB wrote: »
    I am just going outside. I may be some time.....

I'm telling Leo.

I would myself only the odd lightening strike in North Dublin. Whole sky lit up with one strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

https://twitter.com/Sinabhfuil/status/969305293057347584

Seeing as we have so many online maybe we can help find this handsome chaps owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

fritzelly wrote: »
    I'm guessing that Ireland is somewhere under that big pink blob on netweather.tv

Looking at that, the South East is about to get the good stuff soon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Where is South Dublin? It extends from parts of Bray to Tallaght and into the city centre.

The conditions vary depending where you are.

In my part of "South Dublin" (Rathgar), we have had significant accumulations of snow.

While it is not visible on roofs etc, it is drifting. My back garden is covered with about 2-3' of snow thanks to all the stuff that is getting blown of roofs etc.

I said until tonight. Im in rathgar too

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

It's utter chaos here in Celbridge... Total blizzard, no visibility.

I'm in Celbridge and see sleet/snow but visibility is fine so far in my estate. Hardly chaos..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This is deffo the only time 1500 boardsies have been active on the weather forum at 1am in the morning :pac:

Many are off work tomorrow RED ALERT!

Thoughts are with essential service people though. They get few kudos really, but they never let us down and quietly get on with their work. No dramas.

One big thank you from me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Hollyalice

tom1ie wrote: »
    Wrong. You can easily blow your 63a fuse in your house by having heavy inductive loads on at the same time. An example would be your cooker and electric shower. It may not overload the network outside your house but it will blow the fuse in your main switch fuse unit, leaving you in the dark.

Well you can surely blow the fuse, but that's within your own house not your street.
    Most of those heaters are about 2KW so they'd use less than 10A - you'd need a few on at the same time to blow the fuse.

And surely they're resistive rather than inductive loads?

Anyway you do have a point. Local residential networks can be overloaded by a lot of people running heaters. The lower load from industry being off work won't matter in a big housing estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

These are from up near Lamb Doyle's, with about 5 inches of snow lying on the main Enniskerry road just after midnight, and lots more to come by the look of things.

443952.jpg

443953.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

DominoDub wrote: »

Seeing as we have so many online maybe we can help find this handsome chaps owner.

What a gorgeous dog.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Recliner wrote: »
    Very eerie out in the back garden and seeing how bright it is right now. Looks like daybreak..

It’s as bright as a cloudy day in my back garden. Might go for a walk in the park tomorrow night and take some pics

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How did emma pushing south to north bypass all the counties in between and land in dublin.
    Lovely day in KK and still a lovely night. No wind, no snow, no nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭cravings

a minute of clips from a precarious walk to the m50 bridge earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

a direwolf? so winter has come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

It’s very pleasing to see snow accumulations now on and next to parked cars. I can’t tell where the road meets the footpath anymore (3 Arena area). Wind howling and swirling, snow flakes dancing while I sit next to the window with a nice red wine and enjoy it all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Markgc wrote: »
    Sure here too, about 10 inches. No problem. But to shut whole country down for system approaching just now is backward.

They could of had rolling red warning zones. The storm traversing slowly.

I think the VITAL fact that is lost on a lot of people the system slowed down as it approached the cold block , nothing Met Eireann can do about that, the weather models / charts didn't see that happening so how could anyone else .

Were dealing with complex weather systems , they don't do as they should !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

He’s gorgeous!! Hope he gets home safe

Advertisement