Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Here in Sallins and its making quite the effort to make it to my windows

https://i.imgur.com/dis65se.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/j1ZvbEY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

I just received a Status Orange alert for Roscomon.

So do they think it’s now safe to travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

if this keeps up i can well see 100cm being reached here!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Rala_

More snow forecast for next weekend! Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭pauldry

Steady small snowflakes the last 2 hours in Sligo have left a coating once more.

Dp is rising now -3c some Southern areas now -1c.

Theres probably going to be copious amounts of snow somewhere but the danger is that it will get wetter though that leads to even deeper snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Steopo wrote: »
    Snow seems noticeably wetter here in Donabate & heavy stuff doesn’t seem to be moving in off the Irish Sea. Looks like coastal fringe affect will keep accumulation lower than other areas

I'm not coastal but it's still quite wet and small snow here too. Heavier stuff is predicted to arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

This is deffo the only time 1500 boardsies have been active on the weather forum at 1am in the morning :pac:

2300 before midnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

During my walk today I met a bohemian lad rushing to the post office.

He left a trail of sweet smelling tobacco and something else in his wake...

Met him an hour later,post office closed, dumped by his girlfriend and she took the dog...

He wasn't worried about her, but his dog was on his mind...

He's living in a bothy type of shed thing, I might hike up tomorrow,see if he's OK....

RuthieRose wrote: »
    So do they think it’s now safe to travel?
    It certainly is not safe to travel from where I am living, it may be different in the northern half of the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

thomasj wrote: »
    Tragically 9 dead and 100s currently stranded in their cars in Britain.

And on that note for the first time in my life I must give the government some credit for their response to this situation.

Everyone pulled together on this and even though we aren't out the other side a lot of pride can be taken in how it was handled.

Let's enjoy the snow but remember that it the temperature can kill the weak and the sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Sorry , where is EMMA? Grains falling in Dublin the last 6 HOURS!!! 1.20am now, MW predicting a METRE of snow for Dublin but the radar shows more grains......am I missing something????

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Rala_ wrote: »
    More snow forecast for next weekend! Crazy.

Please post a source , as Met Eireann aint sure how Saturday / Sunday are going to ply out never mind next weekend :D:D:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

The first world problems are real tonight.

25ktr2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

Honestly, with the amount already accumulating in Dublin alone this could be worse than 1982. There is another 24 hours of snow to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The greatest depth of snow to beat is 45cm at Casement Aerodrome on 31 December 1962.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

Decent drifts forming even in city centre of Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

froog wrote: »
    city centre cork out the western road, very fine snow falling gently. everything coated in white, including the empty roads. quite a bizarre scene. youngfellas walking around in the middle of the road like it's a zombie apocalypse or something.

UCC students with a few days off. Saw them around cissy youngs yesterday in t shirts throwing snowballs. ****ing idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mafra

Have the accompanying winds been downgraded?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The first drifts I have seen in 36 years!
    A lovely big "dune" in my front garden.
    They were too hasty to announce red warning countrywide and shut down road gritting so early.
    A wise decision, Friday can be written off as a working day and the country has the weekend to clear up and get back to work on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The greatest depth of snow to beat is 45cm at Casement Aerodrome on 31 December 1962.

Absolutely no doubt that record is going to be flattened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Taxedalot

pad199207 wrote: »
    if this keeps up i can well see 100cm being reached here!

Utterly astonished by the depth so far - can't open back door without a serious effort.

If it changes to '"proper" snowflakes, as opposed to ice pellets overnight, we could easily exceed a metre - amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

tobsey wrote: »
    Are you sure that’s not the lights flickering? It’s happened to me a few times near swords. (Sorry for not being very technical)
    Nope saw the clouds light up. No lights on here anyway. Nothing on blitzortnung. Could *possibly* be arcs from the nearby DART line overheads cables though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Here in north coastal Dublin 4 hours of snow has left 1cm or 2 on the ground. I don’t think it’s going to get more intense in the next hour so off to bed with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Rala_

Please post a source , as Met Eireann aint sure how Saturday / Sunday are going to ply out never mind next weekend :D:D:D;)

*Weather* *app* *on* *my* *iPhone*, *checks* *yours* *too* *if* *you* *dont* *believe* *me*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Just back from an hour long walk around Limerick. Beautiful out there, about an inch or two of fine powder coating everything and falling slowly still.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

North Kilkenny- no snow tonight- have been waiting up to see a blizzard- really windy but no snow- can't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 HelloMrSnowman

Gonna venture out and measure some different areas around the garden at 2 o'clock, looks to be increasing by the minute,

Newbridge, Co.Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Mafra wrote: »
    Have the accompanying winds been downgraded?

I believe so outside of costal areas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

It would be more useful if people could provide information on the accumulations rather than snow type.

Here it's mounting up. Still relatively fine snow though.

No idea of the accumulation Kermit as it’s blowing all over the place but I’ve 3ft+drifts in yard,bigger in the open fields,way up the ditches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

It certainly is not safe to travel from where I am living, it may be different in the northern half of the county.

No. Definitely not here in Cavan. You can’t see the roads from footpaths in the town and it’s blowing a gale with snow. It’s confusing these warnings. People will think it’s downgraded. I think they downgraded too soon up here. They forget we have hills. BIG hills!!!

Advertisement