Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

sdanseo wrote: »
    Absolutely no doubt that record is going to be flattened.

I can't get over the fact that this is happening in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭otherfrog

Sitting in bed looking out the window and struggling to believe what I'm seeing.

It's difficult to make out the houses on the other side of the street - the snow is like a rapid sideways fog outside - so I guess this is a blizzard.

One thing I can make out is the lamp post wobbling back and forth in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

Spectacular in Dublin 15...drifting snow everywhere....blizzard....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Some fun on college road :pac:

https://youtu.be/KRH2KSIQNQQ

• Registered Users Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭noodler

**** is getting real in Dublin 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Getting heavier in Galway city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Might try get out soon and take a vid, winds are too strong at the moment, from what I can see we arent even at the worst in Tramore, plenty more to come by the looks of the radar, oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭patmac

thomasj wrote: »
    Tragically 9 dead and 100s currently stranded in their cars in Britain.

Tragic, I bet those related to the dead wish the British Government were as cautious as our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

Would anyone like to guestimate the time difference between these two bands for cork? Reckon it's a good opportunity to sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Anything of interest to happen in Cork soon? Should I stay up or get some sleep and enjoy what comes in the morning? Calm and dry here at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

loads of heavy snow around cork city, but all dies out before getting here or moves off to the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

North Kilkenny- no snow tonight- have been waiting up to see a blizzard- really windy but no snow- can't believe it.

I know what you mean! I was kinda looking forward to the spectacle of it and ...nada so far. 2010 was a more severe weather event (in my own personal experience in this area)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

This 18Z radiosonde sounding from Larkhill in southern England shows a very heavy snow setup. Cold surface layer but deep warm saturated inversion just below zero, meaning a lot of precipipitable water content. 850 hPa temperature and dewpoint were both just -1.6 , but as the whole profile is below zero it just shows that in some cases -1 is enough for snow.

A Major Incident has been declared in Avon and Somerset this evening as a result.

3743_1_1803012003.png

Most of Avon & Somerset was in a red warning. People had absolutely no business being outdoors.

No government announcement or equivalent to the NECC in the UK it seems. Everything left down to UKMO for people to ignore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

bassy wrote: »
    Gotta say it was over hyped................
    Red alert from 4pm yesterday and it's 1.30am Fri morning and not a thing has happened here in north kilkenny just lying snow from wed.
    Light graupel falling that's it.

The met eirheann like the government haven't a clue................

Better to have everyone safe rather than passing by and ignoring others....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

[QUOTE [/QUOTE]

have you been reading the thread?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Rala_ wrote: »
    *Weather* *app* *on* *my* *iPhone*, *checks* *yours* *too* *if* *you* *dont* *believe* *me*.

RAW data from multiple permutations on the GFS , ECM , its the mean ,

Another words outside of 2-3 days there pretty useless in normal weather ,

Type of complex systems were having now , 12 hours :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

I think this 1 meter could pull of easy , mind blowing

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ray269

Seem to just of had a power surge here near Dean's Grange. Lights got really bright in the house and then went back to normal

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

4,400 houses out of power in Wicklow town, they’re saying 8pm tomo for crews out,not ideal.
    https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/list.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

:eek:
    Gotta say it was over hyped................
    Red alert from 4pm yesterday and it's 1.30am Fri morning and not a thing has happened here in north kilkenny just lying snow from wed.
    Light graupel falling that's it.

The met eirheann like the government haven't a clue................

Im near Tullaroan, it is sowing lightly for 4 or 5 hours consistently. I believe people are expecting typical wet snow and underestimating the accumulative effect of dry powdered snow when coupled with this much wind and the longevity of the system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭bassy

fg1406 wrote: »
    I know what you mean! I was kinda looking forward to the spectacle of it and ...nada so far. 2010 was a more severe weather event (in my own personal experience in this area)

Totally agree 2010 was a lot more severe and more snow.this was blown up like a circus the clowns in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Just a quick important update that I think we're somewhere between Stage 4 and 5 right now, major risk of a full-blown Stage 5 tomorrow:

DXPx3dYX0AAVH9h.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I took a short video.doesn't do it justice.

Ive never experienced such a blinding and chilling wind.

About 20cm deep now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭thomasj

Word of the week folks. IMBY (in my back yard)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Totally agree 2010 was a lot more severe and more snow.this was blown up like a circus the clowns in charge.

Lol seriously....you'd need a helicopter to get anywhere from the Burren here tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Just got back from a short walk before bed.

Absolutely epic out there.
    5+ inches deep, some great looking drifts forming in peoples gardens.
    No kerbs. Roads just flat snow.
    D18 Sandyford villiage.

5 min up to the top of the estate and my footprints were already disappearing on the way back.

Epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

It was late but this is definitely not over hyped in Dublin 7 / Ashtown. Just went outside there, could barely get the porch door open and at the rate the snow is accumulating beside my car it will be covered by morning. Snow is pelting on side ways and showing no sign of slowing down. I'd love to go for a proper walk but I may go to bed! Setting the alarm for 6am as I don't want to miss too much of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mafra

North Kilkenny- no snow tonight- have been waiting up to see a blizzard- really windy but no snow- can't believe it.

Near Kilkenny - Carlow border. Snowing here constantly since daylight this am and possibly before.
    Pic on cam showing drift forming in front of house.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Harold’s cross road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

Power gone in Donabate and parts of swords. ETA of power back is 20.00 tomorrow ��

Advertisement