Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Emma is already tightening the wind gradient over Ireland though

Come on Emma! Do me proud!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Did gaoith meant to say the showers would up the intensity instead of slack off..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

lillielad wrote: »
    Since it's a red alert all over the country will on colleges and schools be open?

I know ucd is closed til Monday at least
    Same with my little brother and sisters secondary schools
    I'd say same for most

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Rochestown in Cork, here. Stopped snowing, but its eerily bright. It's like the middle of the day. Occasional thunder and lightning from here anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Very heavy in Newbridge now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,543 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Red Alert - 2 days off !!!

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭DaithiMa

Unreal to see the pics coming in from Cork. I know the Dubs and the Rebels don't usually get on, but can't begrudge them this tonight. What shield was that again??!! Delighted for ye. Hoping to get in in the action tomorrow here a few miles North of Tuam. Say safe all and well done Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Is it just me or did anyone else see a couple of lightning strikes from Cork city in the past five minutes? I can't get over how bright it is outside

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Holy Duck

Heavy light snow booming down in Rush, sky gone orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Visibility down to zero near Santry. Insane!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Red warning seems a bit OTT to be honest, hope I'll be proved wrong. For example, what snowfall is Leitrim and Donegal going to get?

Agreed. At the minute parts of North donegal are buried with constant streamer(dying out atm= but apart from that Emma shows less amounts for the NW that earlier runs today. I fear it's an Ophelia situation when it wasn't red in the NW either. I just don't see it on the current charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I dont care if i get snow now, Ive got a red warning that will do LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

This has been such a non-event for us in Arklow!!!! Our snow shield is holding up well unfortunately!!!!

I think you’ll be sick of snow by 3pm Friday ;)
    Also there are some snow showers upwind of you tonight that should come in and say hello tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

TitianGerm wrote: »
    According to that I will have nearly a full day of snow from tomorrow lunchtime :pac:

16 hours anyway, at least. And it wont just be you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Rochestown in Cork, here. Stopped snowing, but its eerily bright. It's like the middle of the day. Occasional thunder and lightning from here anyway.

Just seen lightening but didn't hear thunder..sky very pinkish..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Yeah I feel like this red warning is just to protect people and stop them from travelling. South and east still looking to be hammered. I highly doubt harmonie has something different unless met eireann received info from somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Timistry wrote: »
    A Status Red snow and ice warning has been put into effect for all counties with blizzard conditions expected from early on Thursday afternoon.

The warning came into effect at 11pm Wednesday evening and will remain in place until 3pm on Friday.

basically an upgrade!
    Was this a official statement at 11pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭GiftGrub100

Lightning and Thunder in Carrigaline now as well as snow falling on top of plenty of snow !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I have been following this weather model for the past few days. It has been fairly accurate predicting the spells of snow to the hour.

However tommorow there are no breaks in downfall, its continuous and it gradually moves up from the south through the country from 8am.

8am
    443609.jpg

1PM
    443610.jpg

5PM
    443612.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Another big band on its way - don't worry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Patrick Street / Washington St CORK

https://twitter.com/akwyz/status/968992527658438656

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

What's your take on national Red. Possible they're seeing something we're not?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

I have to say, it seems a bit crazier out there now in Raheny than it has been all day. I would not like to be out in that wind,snow/graupel and cold right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Yeah I feel like this red warning is just to protect people and stop them from travelling. South and east still looking to be hammered. I highly doubt harmonie has something different unless met eireann received info from somewhere.

If it reduces the overall strain on those who must work through this spell, then it's worthwhile, in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

Lovely and quiet in Cork city.....not a huge amount of snow compared to what seemed to fall, I hope the kids wake up to proper snow in the morningi

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

jo06555 wrote: »
    Was this a official statement at 11pm?

it was indeed
    National Weather Warnings

STATUS RED

Snow-ice Warning for Ireland
    Further heavy snow showers will bring accumulations of significant levels with all areas at risk.

Blizzard conditions will develop from the south Thursday afternoon and evening as heavy snow and strong easterly winds bring snow drifts northwards over the country. Eastern and southern coastal counties will be worst affected.

Issued:Wednesday 28 February 2018 23:00
    Valid:Wednesday 28 February 2018 23:00 to Friday 02 March 2018 15:00

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Red warning seems a bit OTT to be honest, hope I'll be proved wrong. For example, what snowfall is Leitrim and Donegal going to get?

Surprisingly we've had a good deal of snow today in quite a few parts of Donegal. Not as much as further south so not really getting much coverage on TV etc but to put in perspective, we are at sea level bang on the shore and this is the most snow my 80 year old father has seen since '47.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Dublin 13 just now. Wind is blowing fine powdered snow all over the place!

XZ6GcjR.jpg

RL78ekG.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Thunder snow in kinsale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Lough here. No thunder or lightning but yes spooky bright ! Was called to look at it !Wouldn't go as far as middle of the day but very very bright. Moon reflecting off snow ? I have no idea but I love it !

Advertisement