Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Very weak accumulations here in north coastal Dublin. Lots of tiny snow falling but nothing to show for it. Light dusting on the road.

The netweather radar seems to want to not move the heavier precipitation in the Irish Sea.

Quite a lot in raheny on the coast! I would say 20-25cm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Strumms wrote: »
    Where I am it’s heading towards copious and getting worse

Oh without a doubt here too. Garden Shed completely blocked by drifts. My estate now cut off as drifts have come through the fence onto the main road from the field beside us.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭J6P

What time should that reach us? Any danger of it turning back to snow as it meets the cold?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

hawkwing wrote: »
    Did you not say recently that it was worse than 2010 in D15, Ffarrell tell us where gets the most snow,again and again and again:rolleyes:

It is worse than 2010.....min D15 anyway...but the 'massive precipitation' promised for tonight has not materialised .....yet

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Looking at the maps and models looks feasible that kerry are cork (parts of) will get heavier snow Tommorow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Easily 30cm extra here. Some BIG drifts....

Here being Celbridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Brilliant snow

Kerry and cork should start to see heavier snow Tommorow I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

It is worse than 2010.....min D15 anyway...but the 'massive precipitation' promised for tonight has not materialised .....yet

Certainly has in Wexford anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Maybe turning slightly marginal here on the coast..snow a bit wet. Intensity is on the up again and accumulations growing though

• Advertisement

Certainly has in Wexford anyway

Any pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

leahyl wrote: »
    Anyone care to tell me if it’s snowing in cork city? I’m in bed and couldn’t be arsed getting out of it....:-D not sound outside so I’m guessing not much has changed from 2 hours ago before I fell asleep

still only tiny flakes blowing around (northside)

patneve2 wrote: »
    Maybe turning slightly marginal here on the coast..snow a bit wet. Intensity is on the up again and accumulations growing though

Which coast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

I have no idea what to make of the models so far. Granted I am a novice, but I can generally give myself one or two clues and a general idea. Tonights system has been strange to say the least. The radar for most of the Inland south east has shown decent amounts but in reality we have this weak dusty snow that probably doesnt match what we had earlier in the week?

Then looking out to the Irish sea its showing percip heavier than we have already but it weakens over land??

Whats it been like in Wexford (new ross area)??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Fell asleep at half 10 only to wake up at half 1 with no power (back now) and easily 3 inches added to the ground outside. In D4 and I'm thinking this metre could materialize considering these significant accumulations in such a short space of time. Will be an interesting few hours for sure.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Ich bin ein snowman

Holy Jesus rumbling apendix Christ I’m happy. Really hope all the snow fans get a piece.

From my meager knowledge I’d say the intensity and spread of the blizzard conditions might be more widespread in untouched southern and eastern areas the closer the center of the low gets to south coast. Correct me if I’m wrong but please do think of the children.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

Power gone now for over an hour in Grand Canal Dublin area. Looks fierce stormy outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

Just saw this, don't think it was posted - Gardaí in a shoot out yesterday!

https://t.co/DfVZG8fF9p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Apologies if this is a stupid question and/or has been answered already (it's a very long thread and I'm a very busy man), but roughly where is the centre of the storm right now? And when is it expected to hit Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Up all night and yet to see a decent snow shower.Fair play to all you guys who got hit but it has been a major let down here in Monasterevan this morning. It's weird because the only consistent snow I've seen all week has been Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. It snowed all day yesterday but it was virgin snow, harmless as bejaysus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    I have no idea what to make of the models so far. Granted I am a novice, but I can generally give myself one or two clues and a general idea. Tonights system has been strange to say the least. The radar for most of the Inland south east has shown decent amounts but in reality we have this weak dusty snow that probably doesnt match what we had earlier in the week?

Then looking out to the Irish sea its showing percip heavier than we have already but it weakens over land??

Whats it been like in Wexford (new ross area)??
    In new Ross steady stream of fine snow but accumulating nicely. Can't distinguish kerb outside house .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

This storm is not even one quarter done yet, amazing (in some parts).

Quick analysis -- low 974 mbs west of Scilly Isles heading slowly northwest. Fronts are not making much northward progress and heavier precip on radar is probably mostly snow heading for southeast and south coast.

Any holes in the snow coverage over south should fill in or at least move off to another location, if you have not had any periods of snow heavier than 2 cm per 3 hours, you should soon be getting more like 2 cm per hour rates.

Thunder-snow becomes increasingly likely as the low moves closer and dynamics get stronger over Irish Sea. Winds are downsloping very strongly from Welsh highlands into Cardigan Bay and Irish Sea, converging with more east to northeast flow hooking around Anglesey. This is why Dublin is doing so well (for the most part).

Some sleet or rain can always mix in near outer coasts but I think the cold air is well enough entrenched to last throughout the slow passage of Emma to south. Still some potential for damaging wind gusts late Friday in southwest but guidance continues a bit scattered.

The process that will intensify the snow further west is phasing of Emma with double-centered polar vortex that moved out to southwest of Munster yesterday and is lurking there ready to hook up with Emma tomorrow.

As crazy as this sounds, some of my snowfall estimates may bust on the low side. ( ! )

Others may bust on the high side, this is a rather disorganized snow shield that may not give equal service to all in its path.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

So far the 'copious' amounts of snow have not materialised as expected from this storm.

Met Eireann talked about one metre of snow falling in parts of Dublin??

Way of that amount at the moment...the snow is falling and swirling here in Dublin 15 but not epic thick snow....yet....

I'm in Dublin 15 and there is thick snow where I am. Big accumulations in the last six hours. They said there might be up to a metre in some parts and as far as I know, they didn't specifically say Dublin. I do think some pockets will get close to that. But if not, they didn't say it would happen for definite and even half that amount is a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Just videoed some ****ing eejit crash his rice rocket into an electric gate. The plonker was doing donuts and lost the run of himself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

When does this thread turn from people excited about the snow to dying for the thaw, is what I wanna know.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Ptrk85

Power outage in my area of Navan now. Alarms going off everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Power in Wicklow area was out for a little over 2 hours. ESB had it repaired a good 60 minutes quicker than the estimated repair time. Fair play to them getting out there in that.
    We aren't up to our knees in snow here like other places but there's a decent bit, and that wind is vicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

This storm is not even one quarter done yet, amazing (in some parts).

Quick analysis -- low 974 mbs west of Scilly Isles heading slowly northwest. Fronts are not making much northward progress and heavier precip on radar is probably mostly snow heading for southeast and south coast.

Any holes in the snow coverage over south should fill in or at least move off to another location, if you have not had any periods of snow heavier than 2 cm per 3 hours, you should soon be getting more like 2 cm per hour rates.

Thunder-snow becomes increasingly likely as the low moves closer and dynamics get stronger over Irish Sea. Winds are downsloping very strongly from Welsh highlands into Cardigan Bay and Irish Sea, converging with more east to northeast flow hooking around Anglesey. This is why Dublin is doing so well (for the most part).

Some sleet or rain can always mix in near outer coasts but I think the cold air is well enough entrenched to last throughout the slow passage of Emma to south. Still some potential for damaging wind gusts late Friday in southwest but guidance continues a bit scattered.

The process that will intensify the snow further west is phasing of Emma with double-centered polar vortex that moved out to southwest of Munster yesterday and is lurking there ready to hook up with Emma tomorrow.

As crazy as this sounds, some of my snowfall estimates may bust on the low side. ( ! )

Others may bust on the high side, this is a rather disorganized snow shield that may not give equal service to all in its path.

You can retire after this:

trans.png

I doubt we will see such a setup ever again. Beautiful to look at.
    A historic weather event for Ireland. As you said this is 1947 with the internet.
    I have had a few:o.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Powdery snow with a misty drizzle mixed in, does that make sense? Melts on the window sill. Fox has just visited now, leaving a neat canter of rear paws in the fresh snow. Poor little fella. Road and pavement and gardens are all one spotless canvas.

Edit: South County Dublin. Above Dun Laoghaire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

Huge snowfall so far in North Wexford. Took a peek outside and the drifts are approaching my ground floor window! Considering we started with a mere dusting from Wednesday night this is impressive.

Advertisement