Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Nothing at all in Cork City. Very disappointing. Are we due any at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Think ill go to sleep, cork city seems very quiet. hopefully in a few hours there might be something

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

snow seems to have eased off here alot in past 30 minutes, just the odd very fine bit of snow dust. Still haven't seen any proper sized flakes from Emma, but there sure is alot of snow on the ground!.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

Huge snowfall so far in North Wexford. Took a peek outside and the drifts are approaching my ground floor window! Considering we started from 5pm with a mere dusting from Wednesday night this is impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

This storm is not even one quarter done yet, amazing (in some parts).

Quick analysis -- low 974 mbs west of Scilly Isles heading slowly northwest. Fronts are not making much northward progress and heavier precip on radar is probably mostly snow heading for southeast and south coast.

Any holes in the snow coverage over south should fill in or at least move off to another location, if you have not had any periods of snow heavier than 2 cm per 3 hours, you should soon be getting more like 2 cm per hour rates.

Thunder-snow becomes increasingly likely as the low moves closer and dynamics get stronger over Irish Sea. Winds are downsloping very strongly from Welsh highlands into Cardigan Bay and Irish Sea, converging with more east to northeast flow hooking around Anglesey. This is why Dublin is doing so well (for the most part).

Some sleet or rain can always mix in near outer coasts but I think the cold air is well enough entrenched to last throughout the slow passage of Emma to south. Still some potential for damaging wind gusts late Friday in southwest but guidance continues a bit scattered.

The process that will intensify the snow further west is phasing of Emma with double-centered polar vortex that moved out to southwest of Munster yesterday and is lurking there ready to hook up with Emma tomorrow.

As crazy as this sounds, some of my snowfall estimates may bust on the low side. ( ! )

Others may bust on the high side, this is a rather disorganized snow shield that may not give equal se
    As crazy as this sounds, some of my snowfall estimates may bust on the low side. ( ! )rvice to all in its path.

oh s**t and yayyyy at the same time - I didn’t think we’d reached the full fall—— but I didn’t dream ever in a million years the potential accumulation amounts —— I didn’t dare dream that far !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Semena Mertvykh

Just in from a wander with my camera, only light snow in Cork City for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Extremely bad conditions in Wexford - South East Coast.

The snow and wind continues.

Massive accumalations of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 HelloMrSnowman

Quick analysis -- low 974 mbs west of Scilly Isles heading slowly northwest. Fronts are not making much northward progress and heavier precip on radar is probably mostly snow heading for southeast and south coast.

Any holes in the snow coverage over south should fill in or at least move off to another location, if you have not had any periods of snow heavier than 2 cm per 3 hours, you should soon be getting more like 2 cm per hour rates.

Thunder-snow becomes increasingly likely as the low moves closer and dynamics get stronger over Irish Sea. Winds are downsloping very strongly from Welsh highlands into Cardigan Bay and Irish Sea, converging with more east to northeast flow hooking around Anglesey. This is why Dublin is doing so well (for the most part).

Some sleet or rain can always mix in near outer coasts but I think the cold air is well enough entrenched to last throughout the slow passage of Emma to south. Still some potential for damaging wind gusts late Friday in southwest but guidance continues a bit scattered.

The process that will intensify the snow further west is phasing of Emma with double-centered polar vortex that moved out to southwest of Munster yesterday and is lurking there ready to hook up with Emma tomorrow.

As crazy as this sounds, some of my snowfall estimates may bust on the low side. ( ! )

Others may bust on the high side, this is a rather disorganized snow shield that may not give equal service to all in its path.

I guarantee there's a bit of a smile on your face seeing your predictions not just come through but exceeded

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just in from a wander with my camera, only light snow in Cork City for now.

Very disappointing, thought that anything that would happen would happen in the hours I was awake but doesn’t look like it! I’m off to sleep again!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Ich bin ein snowman

Others may bust on the high side, this is a rather disorganized snow shield that may not give equal service to all in its path.

Love your posts MT. If you were to alter your snowfall estimates what would be the highlights?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Love your posts MT. If you were to alter your snowfall estimates what would be the highlights?

GOOD question :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

leahyl wrote: »
    Very disappointing, thought that anything that would happen would happen in the hours I was awake but doesn’t look like it! I’m off to sleep again!

Every radar I look at says it should be snowing in Cork. Maddening. No wind at all either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

windchill of -12c in Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Still just fine misty stuff here in Kildare all night, accumulating all the while but a bit disappointing in that its nowhere near what I'd imagine a blizzard to be like, essentially just some drizzle blowing about.

There should still be some huge accumulations by morning though so all's good, off to get a few hours sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

pad199207 wrote: »
    windchill of -12c in Naas

Forgive me but how did you get that measurement?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 IMPAT

gawker wrote: »
    Power gone now for over an hour in Grand Canal Dublin area. Looks fierce stormy outside.

I have power back in Irishtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Eased off a bit in D14 now but tis still snowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Ich bin ein snowman

Still just fine misty stuff here in Kildare all night, accumulating all the while but a bit disappointing in that its nowhere near what I'd imagine a blizzard to be like, essentially just some drizzle blowing about.

There should still be some huge accumulations by morning though so all's good, off to get a few hours sleep.

Quitter!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

continuing low visibility and snowfall in Arklow, drifts against wall getting high. Was above 10cm straight depth when checked a few hours ago, probably around the 15cm mark if not higher at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Hour 6, one last look out the Velux at Meath Road in Bray before sleep and..............

...[Sigh] The Ice Pellets are simply not accumulating down here. Still only about 2cm at best on the footpaths and road that were clear at 9pm.

I am expecting to wake up to same about 9am. Beyond frustrating to be house-bound for the duration of this but without a big payoff at the end.

What promised to be the most incredible sequence of weather events delivering historic snow depths in decades is nothing of the sort where I am in Bray. FFS!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 HelloMrSnowman

Honestly do feel for those who haven't seen much action yet, hopefully you guys in Cork get a good plastering before the night ends.

Meanwhile I'm looking at the drifts reaching over my sitting room windowsill(3.5 feet) , hopefully this sort of snowfall becomes more widespread!

Newbridge, Co. Kildare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

You can retire after this:

trans.png

I doubt we will see such a setup every again. Beautiful to look at.
    A historic weather event for Ireland. As you said this is 1947 with the internet.
    I have had a few:o.

My car when I looked there a few minutes ago is practically buried now in a drift here near Arklow
    Copious! And wild
    And there’s how long more to go? :eek: :D :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

gabeeg wrote: »
    ...and as the snow fell and the bears ate us, I looked around in a drunken stupor and saw that for the first time we were a real family.

Fixed your post gabeeg :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Calibos wrote: »

What promised to be the most incredible sequence of weather events delivering historic snow depths in decades is nothing of the sort where I am in Bray. FFS!! :(

not that it's much consolation to you, but i am missing out on this too. still it's great to see some long time posters getting to witness a historic snowfall

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭whattodo1

We've atleast over 30cms of snow in Tinahely co wicklow and its still snowing its gone from thick flakes to almost powdery snow and this is not finished yet 😮

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Going by the Netweather site it looks like Dublin is about a half hour out from getting a good blast of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Serious gusts now in Naas. Fence is about to give in I think. A couple of leylandi trees struggling in the wind too. What a sight out the sitting room window.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Pentecost

humberklog wrote: »
    Going by the Netweather site it looks like Dublin is about a half hour out from getting a good blast of snow.

Staying up another while so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭netbeatz

Fine snow still blowing in Waterford City. Accumulating to levels I have never seen down here before. To be honest if not another flake fell I would not be disappointed :). I've seen personal levels I have never experienced.

G'Wan Emma ya beauty :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭spookwoman

netbeatz wrote: »
    Fine snow still blowing in Waterford City. Accumulating to levels I have never seen down here before. To be honest if not another flake fell I would not be disappointed :). I've seen personal levels I have never experienced.

G'Wan Emma ya beauty :)
    picking up again and blowing horizontal at times :D

Advertisement