Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

What's it like in Dublin city? The temple bar webcam is down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 BobTheHammer44

When's the blizzard going to hit Dublin proper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Recent satellite imagery shows that big blob of white off the SE coast. Should make the next few hours interesting :eek::D

443973.jpg

Great image. The whole island enveloped in snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭FirefighterT7

Very powdery snow in Sligo, going continuously for last hour or more though, hope will get a bit heavier, anyone know what the models showing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

IT’S SNOWING SIDEWAYS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

A lot of nothing happening at the mo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

Very powdery snow in Sligo, going continuously for last hour or more though, hope will get a bit heavier, anyone know what the models showing?

No much expected for sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Just back from a stroll down to the petrol station in Rathmines. There is a big snowman at Kenilworth Spar (yes its a snowman.. I added the "bits" to turn it from a snow person to snowman), and snow drifts of 1-2 feet. Have a few pics but they are too big to upload just now.

There is still frozen ice under the fresh snow which will be lethal once a thaw sets in and it becomes slushy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Right, hitting the hay.

Radar not accurately reflecting reality and i'm not chasing shadows.

Signs a thaw will begin in the morning in Dublin as temps getting wrong side of 0 now and dp's gradually rising.

Much better prospects inland for today and with some altitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

No snow currently just very very windy in Dublin north county

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

My god its bad now in Naas. Amazing what a small increase in flake size can drastically reduce visibility

• Registered Users Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭spookwoman

These are from 1st december 2010 will be interesting to see the difference when its light
    YFFtaBr.jpg
    4IgqDuo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1 NLC met walker

Met Eireann's Climate Dept. are asking the public to record snow depths in an open area at 9am, using a ruler or builders measuring tape, take a photo of it and send with location. More info see ObsClimatology on Twitter or send to Met Eireanns Facebook page. Apologies if this was posted earlier, i only went back a few pages.
    Im in longford, windy here now and v fine horizontal snow. Nite folks, im enjoying this thread this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 HelloMrSnowman

pad199207 wrote: »
    My god its bad now in Naas. Amazing what a small increase in flake size can drastically reduce visibility

Definitely a change in snow type in Newbridge too, can barely see out my window now

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭al_E_kat

Hi all,

Sorry for asking this cos I know you’re probably inundated but has anyone any idea how this will all pan out by Sat morn?? I’m based in Leixlip and work as a nurse 10mins away from home but I’m 5 months pregnant and terrified to drive in it! Currently have a taxi prebooked on the my taxi app but if its cancelled I dunno what I’ll do.

Just went down to get a drink of water and our back doors are unopenable fully atm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭onrail

Sitting in shorts in a muggy 24deg Auckland.

Raging I'm missing this!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭4Ad

Hardly a bit of wind now or last night in Eas Clare..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Think I'm going back to bed now. The precipitation is very light. Hopefully the snow gets heavier soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ideb

The webcam is down due to a powercut. Don't think it is too bad there. Daughter lives in TB. She seems OK other than being out of wine......and bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Think I'm going back to bed now. The precipitation is very light. Hopefully the snow gets heavier soon.
    looks like heavy band on the way
    https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    A lot of nothing happening at the mo

Snowing away where I am in west Dublin!

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Just back from a stroll down to the petrol station in Rathmines. There is a big snowman at Kenilworth Spar (yes its a snowman.. I added the "bits" to turn it from a snow person to snowman), and snow drifts of 1-2 feet. Have a few pics but they are too big to upload just now.

There is still frozen ice under the fresh snow which will be lethal once a thaw sets in and it becomes slushy.

Use this free site, you can resize at the same time as uploading: http://postimages.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

nothing significant here in tipp the last 3 hours, constant light stuff, not adding anything to the 6cm I currently have. Very disappointing and underwhelming so far, a real lack of heavy precipitation around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I am in the wrong spot tonight for anything major a huge gap in the centre of the country and no snow seems to heading into it. Still getting the fine snow but nothing major.
    Hopefully we might get a band of snow before morning.
    Temp has risen again to above freezing so I can see a big enough thaw tomorrow for a lot of places.
    No sign of the major freezing temps they were giving.
    Strong gusts at the moment.
    Kildare / Laois border

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

There is a slight dripping here in Dublin 4 and a few of the icices have fallen from the gutter, the icicls could be from the wind though, it would peel your skin off

• Registered Users Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Small fine bits here all night , Laois , window wet at the moment . Every now and then the wind gusts , but nothing major tbh .

Is this the calm before the storm in the midlands ?
    And I admire the dedication of everyone here, do any of you ever sleep :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Woke up at 4 to check what's going on in cork. Still meh, very light flakes still. Wind isn't very strong, not near Gale force really. Netweather showing a band of heavier snow approaching though so gonna stay awake to see if that materialises or breaks apart before reaching us again. C'mon Emma you know you wanna attack us down here!

onrail wrote: »
    Sitting in shorts in a muggy 24deg Auckland.

Raging I'm missing this!!!!

same, 32c here in my part of Oz, still its fun following the excitement
    They should post us some snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Here is the snowman in Harolds Cross and a pic of the effects of the wind a hour or so ago in Dublin 6.
    My camera is not that good and i was/am slightly pissed!

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 04.20.27.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 04.14.53.png

• Advertisement

Well, I’m off to bed! What a day of weather. Almost 24 continuous hours of falling snow! :eek: I’ll be happy enough for it to start thawing tomorrow.

Advertisement