Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Opened the front door, then closed it pretty quickly!

38751977100_b113735a42_c.jpg

Just under 7 hours later:

39672239125_1936fbc633_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Daz9718

Still snowing moderately here in rathfarnham the snow has gone up to 27cm with drifts up to 46cm , and where only half way though , fingers crossed me power doesn't go , heard alot of places are still without

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Very disappointing here in Monasterevan tbh(tonight). Hearing about Naas and Newbridge being battered and haven't seen a decent snowfall here since early yesterday and even then it barely accumulated considering how long it snowed for. Best of luck all to the rest of the snow watchers but I'm hitting the leaba.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    do any of you ever sleep :)

Last full moon of Winter today...it’s the only thing I can think of that has me awake so early. Certainly didn’t wake to see how the snow level was progressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Just woke up to whatsApp msg alert tone.
    Anyway my friend wont mind if I post these pics. He had to help someone(small emergency!? we hope everything's ok)anyway he's never seen anything like it in his life here in Ireland, and reckons about 4'ft in places. Co Louth
    Take care everybody.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Full on Arctic outside now (kilkenny city). Heavy sideways snow. Will go out for round 2 with the Nikon before dawn. Sleep is postponed

Wind still quiet strong here too but the dusty snow has stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 20,913 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Just woke up to whatsApp msg alert tone.
    Anyway my friend wont mind if I post these pics. He had to help someone(small emergency!? we hope everything's ok)anyway he's never seen anything like it in his life here in Ireland, and reckons about 4'ft in places. Co Louth
    Take care everybody.

he could do with better trousers or be in an emergency himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

all the snow is pretty much around coastal fringes, nothing other than negligible falls inland, very disappointed for supposed blizzards

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Wowbagger

Dusty snow falling here since 12mn. Car park nearly totally covered. Hope it stays dusty and drift free so I can make it home.

kod87 wrote: »
    all the snow is pretty much around coastal fringes, nothing other than negligible falls inland, very disappointed for supposed blizzards

It’s still a few hours away from us I thought...a lot more to come. Still with that worm moon could be rain Ted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Im not having a go at you but this is a common theme im hearing..theres a metre of snow in Dublin and Kildare, the visibilty is next to nothing.

Ambulances cant reach Naas hospital

Theres presently 4 vehicles stuck on route to Dublin

This isnt a meh or joke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

A couple of pics from my ramble around Knocklyon at about 4am

It's getting serious out there, there are random 2 foot drifts in the middle of main roads and a few meters away you're walking on solid ground again. My garden table on the sheltered side of the house has over a foot of snow, no point in measuring because the depths are all over the place.

8sd6gTx.jpg

nLirCgW.jpg

He's about 20mls inland Co Louth. It's a bit confusing, I dont know if he's standing in a drift or what..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

raven136 wrote: »
    Im not having a go at you but this is a common theme im hearing..theres a metre of snow in Dublin and Kildare, the visibilty is next to nothing.

Ambulances cant reach Naas hospital

Theres presently 4 vehicles stuck on route to Dublin

This isnt a meh or joke

I didn't say it was meh or a joke, clearly very severe in those locationls and other locations around coastal counties and a bit inland. Exceptional record breaking conditions there.

It's extremely disappointing for the majority in central areas, which is where I live, so that's all I care about.
    Still time though, hopefully I get something noteworthy

• Registered Users Posts: 39 HelloMrSnowman

Not going against what you say because I can only say from my own experience, but in Newbridge its been heavy snow since 7 o'clock yesterday morning and it's only getting worse, and we're nowhere near the coast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

The wind is raging here in Sallins, the windows are covered in snow that has been pelted at it for hours by the blizzards. I can just about see that all the cars outside are covered up to the tops of tyres, some are in snowdrifts up to the windows. The snowdrifts are blocking the one road into this area - so - I can honestly say that this area is snowbound!

If anyone wants a few tons of snow please do help yourself. I’m going to have a bit of sleep and hopefully when I wake up we still have leccy & maybe less blizzards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Ashford weather station currently not updating but I'm guessing DP is gone into plus because most of last night's snow washed away here in Wicklow Town by rain.

Are we in for an invasion..

Just met a load of ants running around the toilet. Wasn’t expecting to see them yet.

The army have just helped out in a location in Co Louth. Well done lads. Great to know they're around if anyone needs them.
    (I can't give to much details)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 HelloMrSnowman

coffeepls wrote: »
    The wind is raging here in Sallins, the windows are covered in snow that has been pelted at it for hours by the blizzards. I can just about see that all the cars outside are covered up to the tops of tyres, some are in snowdrifts up to the windows. The snowdrifts are blocking the one road into this area - so - I can honestly say that this area is snowbound!

If anyone wants a few tons of snow please do help yourself. I’m going to have a bit of sleep and hopefully when I wake up we still have leccy & maybe less blizzards.

I reckon Kildare's done the best out of this event, because it's as bad in Newbridge, only up the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Can't see any of the roads into Newcastle Dublin being passable if the drifts are anything to go by outside my house

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

All very quiet in cork city, about 2cm of snow and no wind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

HighLine wrote: »
    Are the greens and blues trailing over the south west corner of England and towards us a worry? That would suggest the precipitation will turn wet earlier than expected?

443909.jpg

As anticipated, precipitation turned wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Shannon's gone above 0c, currently -0.4c here in West Clare and I'm seriously hoping the temperature doesn't go up. Humidity is 97% so the dewpoint and wetbulb will be very close to the temperature. Absoultely plastered in snow outside, never seen the likes before and I doubt I'll ever see it here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Wind had dropped bigger flakes falling now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

The snow has blown against my Windows and can't see out. I got back into bed and using the security cameras instead. The snow has drifted and blocking my front porch door. I am snowed in.

Yippee!

I will get pictures once the sun comes up. I may need to climb out a window.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The beast from the east has decided to stop Emma dead in her tracks -- with even a slight increase over the past few hours in raging easterly winds over Britain, into eastern Ireland, the low is struggling to make forward progress just off the tip of Brittany at this time, and most of the forward progress of moisture is aloft (which is good for continued snow). I think there may be a slight increase in flake size in the mix over the east coast and unfortunately the storm is more or less steady state for several hours meaning what you see is what you get more of.

The model trends are to weaken Emma a bit faster than on previous runs (the differences are slight) and this may play out as an easier stand for cold air over Ireland with less pressure from slight warming brought along by Emma, coastal precip types may not change as easily to sleet or ice pellets. It may mean slightly less snow in some inland locations further west but it will be hard to know as the forecast was for rather variable amounts anyway.

The longer term forecast will remain rather cold through the week, as various minor offshoots of Emma's collapsing frontal system try to do their own bit of mischief around the south or east coasts, results likely to be sleet, snow or mixed precip at times all week with a final somewhat stronger system perhaps breaking up the block late in the week or next weekend (not a certain outcome yet). That would lead to a faster melting rate of any remaining snow which I foresee being mostly on higher terrain by a week from now, as the lower elevation snows gradually melt away throughout the week. It may be gradual enough to avoid a major flood risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

The army have just helped out in a location in Co Louth. Well done lads. Great to know they're around if anyone needs them.
    (I can't give to much details)

Top secret mission? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iby1Ni0VJxg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

Not a flake to be seen all night😥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Woke up just now. Very quiet in KK town. Looks about the same as it was when i went to bed at 11pm. The lying snow looks slightly shrunken in on itself like its drying from the inside out. Melted in places but a little more covering in others. A bit of a breeze but not even stiff. Some sort of precip falling. Maybe freezing rain but it's not sticking. Bitter though. Has Emma reached us yet? I've lost track/her track.

Advertisement