Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 HelloMrSnowman

The beast from the east has decided to stop Emma dead in her tracks -- with even a slight increase over the past few hours in raging easterly winds over Britain, into eastern Ireland, the low is struggling to make forward progress just off the tip of Brittany at this time, and most of the forward progress of moisture is aloft (which is good for continued snow). I think there may be a slight increase in flake size in the mix over the east coast and unfortunately the storm is more or less steady state for several hours meaning what you see is what you get more of.

The model trends are to weaken Emma a bit faster than on previous runs (the differences are slight) and this may play out as an easier stand for cold air over Ireland with less pressure from slight warming brought along by Emma, coastal precip types may not change as easily to sleet or ice pellets. It may mean slightly less snow in some inland locations further west but it will be hard to know as the forecast was for rather variable amounts anyway.

The longer term forecast will remain rather cold through the week, as various minor offshoots of Emma's collapsing frontal system try to do their own bit of mischief around the south or east coasts, results likely to be sleet, snow or mixed precip at times all week with a final somewhat stronger system perhaps breaking up the block late in the week or next weekend (not a certain outcome yet). That would lead to a faster melting rate of any remaining snow which I foresee being mostly on higher terrain by a week from now, as the lower elevation snows gradually melt away throughout the week. It may be gradual enough to avoid a major flood risk.

So kildare won't get a heavy fall basically as was projected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Nothing has accumulated here since before midnight. Overall the system seems a lot weaker than I expected, I thought the extreme conditions over parts of the east would be more widespread, but it doesn't seem to have happened that way.

A real pity, still better than 2010 anyway, at least this time I actually got some snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

Woke up just now. Very quiet in KK town. Looks about the same as it was when i went to bed at 11pm. The lying snow looks slightly shrunken in on itself like its drying from the inside out. Melted in places but a little more covering in others. A bit of a breeze but not even stiff. Some sort of precip falling. Maybe freezing rain but it's not sticking. Bitter though. Has Emma reached us yet? I've lost track/her track.

I’m a few miles outside the town and it’s exactly the same here as 6 hours ago too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

Just been woken up by an avalanche coming off the roof. We've had very little snow up until last night. Now there is around 25cm on the ground. North Wexford. Mental stuff. And it's still coming down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

fg1406 wrote: »
    I’m a few miles outside the town and it’s exactly the same here as 6 hours ago too.

Looks like it was a bust for most in red warning area judging by the posts and radar. Obviously some got it bad. Zero snow on the ground before hand would have told a clearer picture of what fell for those who had lots already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

kod87 wrote: »
    Nothing has accumulated here since before midnight. Overall the system seems a lot weaker than I expected, I thought the extreme conditions over parts of the east would be more widespread, but it doesn't seem to have happened that way.

A real pity, still better than 2010 anyway, at least this time I actually got some snow.

My phone is showing constant snow for the next 24hrs+ in Tipp, it’s pelting down outside but not big flakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Gusty wind and no snow in the Athlone area

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I don't think any trends seen so far on models would cause more than a slight change in forecast snowfall amounts, at least not from my own earlier forecasts, can't speak for anyone else's forecasts that you might have heard and how it would impact them. If the beast is a bit stronger and Emma a bit weaker, it could be a net gain for snowfall in some parts of the east (more sea effect in the mix and less opportunity for taint).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Think I just heard snow kamikazing off the roof I think. Hash browns or out with the camera....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

An utterly disappointing spectacle out the window here in Carlow town! Nothing much of any consequence has fallen, a bare dusting of fresh snow! :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Nothing but wind here in Dublin 3.

Met eirean were wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

so emma has lost her battle and we could see more easterlies when emma starts to weaken further

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭quartz1

Am where is Emma ...

quartz1 wrote: »
    Am where is Emma ...

She stayed in France, can't blame her, I would too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,990 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I had zero snow on the ground at 8pm or since this thing started , zero .

Woodenbridge wicklow

This is it now ..

doaQJI3

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

So kildare won't get a heavy fall basically as was projected?

We have enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimmythedivil

Getting absolutely lashed out of it in east cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

Update
    Tomorrow

Snow showers on Saturday will gradually turn back to rain or sleet through the day as temperatures improve slightly; highs of 2 to 5 degrees. Northeasterly winds will have decreased a little but will still remain strong and gusty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

At this stage amounts here near Arklow are stupendous and it’s coming down heavier than ever

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Still nada here in Donegal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Happy for everyone who got snow. Got a decent bit in rathfarnham but I hope it's all back to normal by Monday.

Did it blizzard at all in D14/16.
    I went to be early so missed if we got any heavy stuff but their was definitely some accumulations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Holy moly!! Woke up to a load more snow this morning in South Kilkenny. I'd say about 2 inches fell since around midnight last night. Quite windy out. Emma still quiet enough though.

I suspect that, because Emma has been a bit delayed, people may think that there's no need to heed the warnings any longer so I think it would be important for the government to make an announcement in that regard, urging people to continue to stay indoors until the end of the red alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Looking out the window in Thurles. Looks like we've dodged the storm so far.

Starting to pick up a little bit here, hopefully we can get a burst heavy enough to give a few more cms

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Still full on blizzard in Delgany....been doin g this for six hours and no sign of any let up

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Liffey4A

Nothing of any significance fell in Dundalk.
    Very windy though. Gust of over 100 kmh

• Registered Users Posts: 26 EastCork2018

Everything is falling here at the moment just by N25 in Castlemartyr, Snow,Snow Pellets, Sleet,Rain. Right battle going on. Snow accumaltion on the ground is at the highest it's been since this started, historic event happening if this isn't going to let up for hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

D9: really disappointed. Doesn’t seem like any new covering. Same bare patches still on footpath outside. Don’t understand. Did the storm just bring wind not snow in north Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

polydactyl wrote: »
    D9: really disappointed. Doesn’t seem like any new covering. Same bare patches still on footpath outside. Don’t understand. Did the storm just bring wind not snow in north Dublin?

Yeah virtually zero in north Dublin. Once it’s bright I’m heading out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Holy cow! Lots of snow in Dublin 16! 27cm, on the level, with deeper drifts.

Still snowing but appears to be quite wet snow.

Advertisement