Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

I was beginning to lose hope here in Galway but eh...

2 days off, 4 day weekend, yesssss! :D

RED WARNING NATIONWIDE!

Thank you Emma x

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭GiftGrub100

Shadylou wrote: »
    Lovely and quiet in Cork city.....not a huge amount of snow compared to what seemed to fall, I hope the kids wake up to proper snow in the morningi

Don't think that will be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

jo06555 wrote: »
    Was this a official statement at 11pm?

Official from Met Eireann, status red across the country 11pm tonight until 3pm on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭otherfrog

jArgHA wrote: »
    Is it just me or did anyone else see a couple of lightning strikes from Cork city in the past five minutes? I can't get over how bright it is outside

J5f3j2R.png

Not just you.

Ditto on how bright it is. Street lamps beaming onto white surfaces, cloud is low.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Yeah I feel like this red warning is just to protect people and stop them from travelling.

Off topic again, but it isn't Met Eireann's place to 'protect' people. It is, however, their job to tell people what the weather is going to be like, so people can make their own informed decisions.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Hyblaeus

Really surprised by how much snow we got in Douglas this evening, still some lightening around too!! Here a link to some photos of the aftermath

https://imgur.com/gallery/tw59a

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭thomasj

Met eireann have issued a nationwide red alert from now until 3pm Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Dublin 13 just now. Wind is blowing fine powdered snow all over the place!
    Insane! I haven't seen a whiteout like this since 1987- not even in 2010!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 brianville

Good crack of thunder and lightning in Bandon .

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Pawack

Wind has really picked up. Max wind gust this evening of 64km. Sideways snow. Situated on the east side oh Howth head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 ARated

Just gone through extremely windy very heavy shower in Balgriffin. Ramping up again. Radar showing large intense streamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah I feel like this red warning is just to protect people and stop them from travelling. South and east still looking to be hammered. I highly doubt harmonie has something different unless met eireann received info from somewhere.

Read the whole red snow/ice criteria:

"Significant falls of snow likely to cause accumulations of 8 cm or greater below 250 m AMSL. Slippery paths and roads due to accumulation of ice on untreated surfaces; situation likely to worsen."

Given the overnight lows of -7 or so throughout the Country, the second sentence applies even where snow might not fall again until late tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

No showers here since about 8 o'clock, about 3 inches on flat ground and more in drifts.
    It's nearly daylight out now with the full moon, time to bring the dog for a stroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

My father works in the CUH in Cork. Quick shoutout to all the nurses, doctors and maintenance staff keeping the hospitals running during this time. Many are camping in the Maternity ward there and a lot of have been booked into B&Bs and Hotels in Bishopstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

my view in cork :)

4oiegfI.jpg

snowed in!

Bt9CZgi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Only thing really missing is those big flakes, in Dublin at least

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

On and off snow here in D4 for the past half-hour. Most of the surfaces that thawed earlier are covered again.

Edit: really heavy now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Bucketing down in Blanch again after a quiet hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Read the whole red snow/ice criteria:

"Significant falls of snow likely to cause accumulations of 8 cm or greater below 250 m AMSL. Slippery paths and roads due to accumulation of ice on untreated surfaces; situation likely to worsen."

Given the overnight lows of -7 or so throughout the Country, the second sentence applies even where snow might not fall again until late tomorrow.

true, I had forgotten about the ice aspect of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

fritzelly wrote: »

Yeah the most that we've had here is the odd small flake floating around, all grauple otherwise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Nothing here in Ennis, very cold but no snow.

fritzelly wrote: »

Big means wet, dry and powdery for the win. Or least for the drift records tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

We here in Waterford are going to get hammered tomorrow, I remember 1982 well and this could be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

NUTS again in D11. So windy.... My patio door is filling with snow obscuring my view out to my back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭jds0ur

Full on blizzard at Dublin Airport, this is insane!

200motels wrote: »
    We here in Waterford are going to get hammered tomorrow, I remember 1982 well and this could be worse.

Hmmm, could be rain for ye.

thomasj wrote: »
    Met eireann have issued a nationwide red alert from now until 3pm Friday.

Very severe weather by Irish standards, probably a normal day in Siberia.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

So bright outside in D18 Sandyford. Had some amazing showers about 30 mins ago and all the footprints and wheel tracks almost filled in. Freezing outside at -4.9c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Here in Celbridge, my oil tank measure stick has been very handy. The deepest snow in my garden @ 11:30pm is 7 inches. Not too shabby.. Storm Emma hasnt even hit yet. At this rate, the roof of my house will probably cave in from the weight of the snow!!!!

Stay safe everyone and enjoy this freak weather anomaly tomorrow.

Advertisement