Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

All I got in Ballincollig was the most restful sleep and maybe 2 cm of snow. No winds, no storm, no heavy anything.

Now I have to work from home because you know shelter in place until 1800 because the forecast is for large regions rather than individual areas.

But good luck to those of you who actually got the promised record snow and storm. Hope you are all safe.

Never thought they could forecast with that accuracy. It will snow in this town but it it won't snow in the next. Every model run and forecast I seen showed heavy snow across south and east.

What would you do if you were responsible? List out the towns and surrounding areas that would stay in and the towns and areas that should be allowed out. No one would be able to get that spot on so it's better to just say Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭i lovewine

I'm out side Enfield and it looks like "the day after tomorrow " movie. We just nearly have 2 and a half foot and some drifts. Cats want to go out to the loo. Have to make them a tunnel. If this gets any worse they will end up a food source !!!!!!!. Wife wants to know if I will shovel the snow away from house. I'll let you guess the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

D9: I am disappointed with the amount of snow here yes, but am not blaming Met Eireann, boardsies, they all said the same so that was obv what the radars were showing. It’s a movable feast and unfortunately it just seems to have moved away from giving us snow here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

Jesus there is over a meter of snow depth in my back garden!!!!!!!! Never in my life have I seen so much. It’s like a wave, have to take a pic. Newbridge kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Heavy snow in Cork. Anyone know if gritters have been out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

Going nowhere today. Unbelievable here in kilcock. The kids had taken snow around my car for snowmen yesterday. Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Heavy snow here for the past six hours and still going strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Totally marooned here near Arklow now
    Total blizzard continues

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Yesterday 5am and then now

IMG_20180228_034648.jpg

IMG_20180302_063342.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Wexford wicklow border...we easily have drifts 4 or 5 feet high. The snow is up about 18 inches on our front door. Can only imagine what the road into gorey is like. I'd say well be house bound for days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Is anyone else on the south Cork coast seeing RAIN? We appear to have got about 10cm of snow last night on top of the 20cm that was already on the ground. There are snow drifts several feet deep. But I’m pretty sure I’m seeing rain outside right now. Obviously I don’t want to go out in it to check. Putting my hand out the window it feels like the normal drizzle we get here every other day of the year...

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

When Siobhan said copious amounts she was not wrong.. Waterford city has an epic snowfall..I remember 82 and this far exceeds it...there will be nobody moving today..

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Saw on twitter about some eejit needing to be rescued from a late night swim??? I hope that’s a joke. If not he should be fined the call out cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

In Wicklow Town. Someone posted earlier it was raining and melted some snow. Its defo not raining where i am. I think the wind is not allowing the snow to settle on exposed parts and some accumulations are get blown somewhere else which may look why its not settled or melted. Some very large drifts forming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

LEIN wrote: »
    Heavy snow here for the past six hours and still going strong.

So Greystones finally got its snow. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Totally marooned here near Arklow now
    Total blizzard continues

Don't know whats going on in Wicklow town.
    Reports that the snow has been washed away with heavy rain.

Full on blizzard here too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

ando wrote: »
    Jesus there is over a meter of snow depth in my back garden!!!!!!!! Never in my life have I seen so much. It’s like a wave, have to take a pic. Newbridge kildare

And a few km away near Kildare town there was only a couple of cm last night - but a huge dollop landed early Wednesday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Incredible scenes up near the Wicklow gap. Drifts over two metres in front of the house. The wind and blown snow is relentless. Its like a storm above the arctic circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

LEIN wrote: »
    Don't know whats going on in Wicklow town.
    Reports that the snow has been washed away with heavy rain.

Full on blizzard here too.

No heavy rain in wicklow town. Not where i am anyway.

In Wicklow Town. Someone posted earlier it was raining and melted some snow. Its defo not raining where i am. I think the wind is not allowing the snow to settle on exposed parts and some accumulations are get blown somewhere else which may look why its not settled or melted. Some very large drifts forming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Hear the milking machine going outside-Hope farmers and animals are safe around Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Is there more to come because there is hardly any extra in Cork City since yesterday, so disappointing:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Petal765

revelman wrote: »
    Is anyone else on the south Cork coast seeing RAIN? We appear to have got about 10cm of snow last night on top of the 20cm that was already on the ground. There are snow drifts several feet deep. But I’m pretty sure I’m seeing rain outside right now. Obviously I don’t want to go out in it to check. Putting my hand out the window it feels like the normal drizzle we get here every other day of the year...

Yes definitely turning to sleet more than rain, just melting with the heat from the windows, there's a definite thaw starting though on the west cork coast, snow getting more slush like and can hear the drip drip outside, any idea how long a thaw will take? Drifts of 3/4 feet here, serious cabin fever, flooding is going to be a major issue

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clickbait

It's snowing here in Cork but no storm Emma. Do I have to get up for work or can I stay in bed? Has the red warning been lifted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

aurora 527 wrote: »
    When Siobhan said copious amounts she was not wrong.. Waterford city has an epic snowfall..I remember 82 and this far exceeds it...there will be nobody moving today..

I'm just outside the city, it's mad! 4 inches over night and we had already had about 3 inches yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

According to Hirlam, the heavier stuff is set to hit us in an hour or so here in Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Thought a thaw was setting in but the top panel is at 02:48 and the bottom panel is at 06:46. Square root of fuck all difference there. But, on the other hand, not much more accumulation in the later photo despite constant falling snow.

6_CE5_C759-90_B1-4_AF7-_ADDC-7_DEC424_D43_A7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Eagerly waiting on MT's forecast...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clickbait

Petal765 wrote: »
    Yes definitely turning to sleet more than rain, just melting with the heat from the windows, there's a definite thaw starting though on the west cork coast, snow getting more slush like and can hear the drip drip outside, any idea how long a thaw will take? Drifts of 3/4 feet here, serious cabin fever, flooding is going to be a major issue

Thought it was snow because that's how it started in Dublin. It looked more like rain than snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

Lots of drifts in my garden and built up at the front door too. Some crack trying to clear it off the floor in my boxers. Curragh. Taken about 6:30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

I have no idea how long the thaw might take but whenever it happens I’m not looking forward to it. We have what seems like a full lake’s worth of snow around our house! But we have been literally snowed in since Tuesday night so looking forward to being able to get out. It could be that this front continues to fall as rain along the south coast but as snow a bit further inland. I don’t know. It will be interesting to hear from places like Bandon etc.

Advertisement