Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

revelman wrote: »
    I know it is probably an impossible task. But is there any way of getting more accurate measurements or estimates of how much snow has actually fallen? People are talking about the snow being several feet deep but are we sure that they are not looking at drifts? I’m not asking people to go out obviously but remember measurements on grass will overstate because of the air space. Looking at a flat surface e.g a top of a car would be better. Probably the wind makes it more difficult to do this though.

It's really hard to estimate because of drifts and sublimination daily but it seems to me like the only places that got over a foot of precipitation is parts of Kildare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

Tallaght :D
    443994.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I know it is probably an impossible task. But is there any way of getting more accurate measurements or estimates of how much snow has actually fallen? People are talking about the snow being several feet deep but are we sure that they are not looking at drifts? I’m not asking people to go out obviously but remember measurements on grass will overstate because of the air space. Looking at a flat surface e.g a top of a car would be better. Probably the wind makes it more difficult to do this though.

My measurements have been on the flat ground so 4 inches of snow over night in South Kilkenny and yesterday we had already had around 4 inches so about 8 inches altogether, maybe between 8 and 10 inches altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Red alert needs to be downgraded for most areas. No reason why Dublin should not be more or less fully open for business this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

wakka12 wrote: »
    It's really hard to estimate because of drifts and sublimination daily but it seems to me like the only places that got over a foot of precipitation is parts of Kildare

I haven't been out yet but I can bet that we got that, at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Red alert needs to be downgraded for most areas. No reason why Dublin should not be more or less fully open for business this morning.

Where are you in Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭flanzer

You talking about Dublin, Ohio???? :eek:

The red alert is for people's safety FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Looking outside the windows I Tallaght, looks like over a foot of snow laying in flat ground, even after being walked on yesterday and there are drifts out the front of over a meter, still snowing hard with strong winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Balbriggan/Gormanston area - not much difference since last night. Saw some comments to say worst yet to come for north east, that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Is anyone else on the south Cork coast seeing RAIN? We appear to have got about 10cm of snow last night on top of the 20cm that was already on the ground. There are snow drifts several feet deep. But I’m pretty sure I’m seeing rain outside right now. Obviously I don’t want to go out in it to check. Putting my hand out the window it feels like the normal drizzle we get here every other day of the year...

The rain has now given way to dry snow. The snow is bucketing it down here at the moment. Blizzard conditions. Crazy stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Alan Smithee

Absolutely bucketing down snow in Rosslare at the minute (as it has been all night) with drifts of several feet in certain areas and yet parts of the ground adjacent hardly covered at all. For an area so close to the coast with usually no snow this is spectacular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Looks like Cobh had non stop snizzle all night good covering but nothing spectaular. We got hardly no wind

red_bairn wrote: »
    Where are you in Dublin?

Portmarnock. I get it's not a normal day but stay indoors is completely inappropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I don't know what part of Dublin you're in but in D14 there's a huge amount of snow and I'm unsurprised there's not a single car passing on the road outside my house due to one foot snow drifts

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pp_me

Happy snow day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,443 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Don't think much fell around Portmarnock in the end. Not much different from yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭appledrop

Thankfully got no more snow here in North County Dublin. Still really windy. Hope it all melts soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Looking at the ME radar, it looks like the Wicklow mountains is blocking Emma on her path NW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Just got up there and looked out the window. Lots of snow in Cork city compared to when I went to bed. Still snowing!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Lots of heavy snow in Waterford City overnight and still going strong. The eye opener for me is the drifts. Will be interesting to get some totals later.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

And your qualifications / background to decree this are ?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

2/3 inches in limerick. Nothing too serious. Never once fell as serious snowflakes only dust all night

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pp_me

Happy snow day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Here in the south east parts of my garden are well over half a foot deep

flanzer wrote: »
    You talking about Dublin, Ohio???? :eek:

The red alert is for people's safety FFS

Most of the county had more more snow on Wednesday. There are pockets of deep snow in parts of South and West Dublin but for most of the city/county we should be going about our daily business.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It is blizzard like in the gusts here, but not sustained to be a blizzard at my location on the Kilkenny hills, the snow is picking up, the road was blocked yesterday before any more drifting snow, yesterday had 2.5ft drifts at 1pm, so expecting them to be impressive later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,666 ✭✭✭obi604

Hi

Has the storm essentially passed now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ImThatGuy

26697416428_824540d0e9_c.jpg
    26697429868_3485058308_c.jpg

Harolds Cross Road this morning, those familiar with the area will be shocked to see Maxol is closed 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Snowing now where I am but not big flakes or anything....almost like dust particles :-P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Most of the county had more more snow on Wednesday. There are pockets of deep snow in parts of South and West Dublin but for most of the city/county we should be going about our daily business.

I'm presuming from this post you have been out and around Dublin this morning to make such a decision ?

You not just judging this from an IMBY perspective are you ?

Advertisement