Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

I’m speechless with the amount of snow here this morning. Still com9mg down heavily and a strong wind. There’s two meters high snowdrifts. Impossible to open the back door as there’s a wall of snow against it. Right up to the window out front. By far and away the worst snow ever seen here. Sallins.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Lots of heavy snow in Waterford City overnight and still going strong. The eye opener for me is the drifts. Will be interesting to get some totals later.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

Great piece on WLR btw!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

In the light of day, Dublin 16 looking epic! 26cm on the level here/away from the drifts and snow still coming down. -1.0c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

leahyl wrote: »
    Is there more to come because there is hardly any extra in Cork City since yesterday, so disappointing:-(

The footpath outside my house was thawed last night and now it’s covered in snow again!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Rte news now still saying that met Eireann still predicting heavy snow for Leinster today.

Has it not passed yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

pnpweirdo wrote: »
    2/3 inches in limerick. Nothing too serious. Never once fell as serious snowflakes only dust all night

My father who is in his 90s always maintained this type of snow was the worse. I think it because it drifts so easily.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

obi604 wrote: »
    Hi

Has the storm essentially passed now ?

far from it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Snowing away nicely here near Mallow. Looks plenty more on the way once we don't get rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Lia_lia wrote: »
    The footpath outside my house was thawed last night and now it’s covered in snow again!

Yeah but when you look at what some people up the east coast got....which is what we were all meant to get remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Red alert needs to be downgraded for most areas. No reason why Dublin should not be more or less fully open for business this morning.

Are you sure?

28th March
    443997.jpg
    443998.jpg

2nd March
    443999.jpg
    444000.jpg
    444001.jpg

• Advertisement

Snowing away nicely here near Mallow. Looks plenty more on the way once we don't get rain!

Do you have a lot of snow munsterlegend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

And your qualifications / background to decree this are ?

More snow on Wednesday and Thursday

Many multiples of this on the ground in 2010.

Reality is it hasn't played out as forecast. Not criticising anyone for getting the forecast wrong but they should acknowledge that and update the warnings to reflect the reality that people need to take care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

This is an example of a drift in Naas. Its hard to get across, but these are everywhere.
    I ventured out and the cool thing is that you don't really sink in the snow. It's pretty solid underneath.

Wind still howling and snow still belting

NfGOAphh.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

View out the back of my house this morning. East Cork 3 miles from the coast!

6xvzuq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

leahyl wrote: »
    Snowing now where I am but not big flakes or anything....almost like dust particles :-P

i've a funny feeling like me you were expecting wind and blizzards conditions. but at the same time i'm ok with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Fruitgum

We have unreal amounts of snow in Kilcock! Scary stuff and still bucketing down!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Red alert needs to be downgraded for most areas. No reason why Dublin should not be more or less fully open for business this morning.

I have 2ft of snow at my front door and there are drifts of 5-6ft in areas

Tried to wade through it got about ten yards but had to turn back as it's a blizzard and you literally can't get a breath horrible feeling

Newcastle Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Very little additional snow in Portmarnock overnight. Wind has quietened down a bit!

I expect my 16yr old daughter will be fuming today as we heeded the weather warning and didn't allow her go to a house party locally

Still better safe than sorry! Is Emma gone/ did she ever reach north Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

Massive drifts in Dublin 15 and snowing hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

More snow on Wednesday and Thursday

Many multiples of this on the ground in 2010.

Reality is it hasn't played out as forecast. Not criticising anyone for getting the forecast wrong but they should acknowledge that and update the warnings to reflect the reality that people need to take care.

Think you need to look beyond your back garden portmarnock. The forecast wasn't wrong , here in south Dublin in rathgar the snow levels now are similar to the levels during the peak of 2010 snow around Christmas Day , the red level warning is warranted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Eh, we're gonna need more bread.

Just back from a walk around nutgrove and it's a blizzard out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

I'm presuming from this post you have been out and around Dublin this morning to make such a decision ?

You not just judging this from an IMBY perspective are you ?

Reports on here suggest some heavy falls around SW Dublin 14-16-24. Even then localised as people in Rathfarnham saying they got nothing much.

The reality is this has been very different from the forecast last night. Are you denying that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭hhmmm?

Ok, who has a metre?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Naas here,

I am snowed in. All doors out of the house are blocked.

You can see only the head of the Buddha statue

The first image was today and the second is yesterday.

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    i've a funny feeling like me you were expecting wind and blizzards conditions. but at the same time i'm ok with this.

Well yes seeing as it was the main focus of the forecast!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Naas here,

I am snowed in. All doors out of the house are blocked.

You can see only the head of the Buddha statue

Images won't upload for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Reports on here suggest some heavy falls around SW Dublin 14-16-24. Even then localised as people in Rathfarnham saying they got nothing much.

The reality is this has been very different from the forecast last night. Are you denying that ?

Just to say there is plenty of snow in Rathfarnham.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

I am in Dublin 15 ang there is no way I could get out to work. There was a significant additional snowfall overnight with a lot of drifting. Red justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It is red level here.
    The wind has been picking up giving whiteout conditions in the stronger gusts, and the snow intensity has increased. The severity here on the hills north east of Kilkenny has definitely picked up in the last half hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

So this is the updated pic from my dads house in longford. Snow drift are now at 4 feet on the road outside and they have no access

Advertisement