Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Will be posting a forecast around 0800h, taking a while to work my way through the complexity of this storm.

Watching recent satellite animation, it was clear that the centre of the storm stalled off Brest, France and almost got pushed back slightly as the very strong easterly winds ahead of the storm are holding back its progress. This does not mean that the storm will "miss" Ireland as the storm is a whole set of cloud from frontal structures out ahead of the centre, and all of that will just sit in place until something changes to move it along. Think of it this way, instead of some moving Atlantic system that moves across the country in an organized way (albeit east to west in this case), we have a complex of sea effect mega-streamers that will only be shifted or terminated when the pressure gradient changes, and with Emma stalled, and the east winds howling across Wales and Cornwall, these mega-streamers will remain in place, sometimes they waver a little so not everybody gets the same weather hour after hour, but where there is a shadow effect as some places west of the Wicklow Mountains may be experiencing, that will likely remain in place until maybe this afternoon when there begins to be some motion westward of all this slow-moving energy.

Also, while early guidance was suggesting a weakening trend, the later model guidance has moved to a different track that continues slowly north until a jog to the west, and then some weakening after that.

I think the net effect of all this will be to maintain the status quo of weather you see for several more hours, followed by changes that any simple forecast will be inadequate to address, your best bet today is going to be to keep watching the radar and reports of other boards members to your east and expect some very slow westward progress of all the features -- so it could turn into stupendous amounts of snow in some places and very little in others.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Reports on here suggest some heavy falls around SW Dublin 14-16-24. Even then localised as people in Rathfarnham saying they got nothing much.

The reality is this has been very different from the forecast last night. Are you denying that ?

Put it this way, have you look at the cameras on the m50?

Lucan is a mess, so is tallaght and further south.
    Yes city might be ok but people got to get there first. To open up transport your talking about a lot of cars on bad roads, accidents will happen. If the warning saves a life it's worth it.

Money is not everything your health is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

wakka12 wrote: »
    Think you need to look beyond your back garden portmarnock. The forecast wasn't wrong , here in south Dublin in rathgar the snow levels now are similar to the levels during the peak of 2010 snow around Christmas Day , the red level warning is warranted

Have been looking at thread and read reports from South Dublin and rest of country I was specifically asking if anywhere in North Dublin was hit heavily by Emma. Being beside the sea we always get less snow so just curios!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Advice to stay indoors had been lifted. Seems like the worst has passed.

North Dublin escaped the worst of it then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Met Eireann have just lifted the stay indoors advice.

Some of you guys just don't like me calling it like it is :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

Many places in Dublin and Wicklow I suspect will have had close to a METRE of snow when it stops snowing this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Limerick city, 9 hours of light snow non stop. Measured 5 cm (2 inches) on car roof, might be more elsewhere as some snow would have blown off.

Moderate snow now but seems a bit wetter. Consistency on the ground still fairly powdery but perfect for snowmen, not just dry dust.

Looks like if we are lucky, no let up here till the evening, but slow and steady accumulation

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Snow belting down in Dublin 16. -1.0c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

Anyone having problems refreshing the technical page?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Well after 2 and a half days of heavy snow here in north east meath, it thankfully appears to have finally have stopped

I spoke to soon, pelting down again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

I thought we had gotten absolutely nothing here in D9 looking out my window at some bare patches.

Looked around the side of the aprt block. Def a few inches, door will barely open either as the snow is so frozen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Very heavy snow now in cork at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Put it this way, have you look at the cameras on the m50?

Lucan is a mess, so is tallaght and further south.
    Yes city might be ok but people got to get there first. To open up transport your talking about a lot of cars on bad roads, accidents will happen. If the warning saves a life it's worth it.

Money is not everything your health is

Yep Lucan sure is a mess. Large drifts out on the roads in my estate. Not a chance I'd be able to get to work and it's only 15mins away in traffic on a good day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Before and after Emma

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

dak wrote: »
    Have been looking at thread and read reports from South Dublin and rest of country I was specifically asking if anywhere in North Dublin was hit heavily by Emma. Being beside the sea we always get less snow so just curios!

D15 got plenty and we are north side.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

I'd lay money most of these 'sure it's a bit of snow, everywhere should be open' types are business owners. 'There's money to be made boys!! Don't be worrying about car accidents, blizzards, any of that namby pamby ****e, you should be grateful to have a job!!' Tossers.

Even if they did go in and open up, how many customers and/or deliveries would you be expecting?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Reports on here suggest some heavy falls around SW Dublin 14-16-24. Even then localised as people in Rathfarnham saying they got nothing much.

The reality is this has been very different from the forecast last night. Are you denying that ?

You can't segregate a weather warning for an area as small as Dublin , some areas got what was forecasted , others didn't ,

Plus this event is far from over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Skerries - we have less snow if anything

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Looking out the front of my house there's little or no snow on one side of the road and drifts all around. The wind whipping around the corner kept a couple of patches clear and piled it up high elsewhere. Headed for 10 inches in the garden where it's sheltered and it's still snowing.
    Enniscorthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Wicklow mountains a huge block for a large part of the midlands...you can see the line very clearly on radar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Many places in Dublin and Wicklow I suspect will have had close to a METRE of snow when it stops snowing this evening.

There's a lot of snow around here in D14 but can't imagine it making it to a metre or anything close unless snow intensity increases massively today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

RobertKK wrote: »
    It is red level here.
    The wind has been picking up giving whiteout conditions in the stronger gusts, and the snow intensity has increased. The severity here on the hills north east of Kilkenny has definitely picked up in the last half hour.

Are you up in Castlewarren or Muckalee area, Robert? It's still very quiet down in the town. A bit of a light snow shower got half an hour which has just stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Electricity just gone in Shankill :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Lucreto wrote: »
    Naas here,

I am snowed in. All doors out of the house are blocked.

You can see only the head of the Buddha statue

Images won't upload for some reason.

Same here in sallins, is crazy stuff, never seen anything like this before

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

leahyl wrote: »
    Do you have a lot of snow munsterlegend?

Yeah a lovely covering. I'd say 1-2inches. I'd have been happy with 5-10cm so looks on target.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Met Eireann have just lifted the stay indoors advice.

Some of you guys just don't like me calling it like it is :cool:

The Red weather warning is still in place :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Baraics Pollox

Dublin 5 definitely took on an extra layer of snow overnight. Theres a level section of my back garden with a good foot and thats not the grass. Drifts of 2-3 feet out front, snow has piled up in neighbours front garden and managed to top the garden wall!

Appears to be coming down lightly again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

ohhhhhhhhhh thick snow flakes falling down in cork city!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

So this is the updated pic from my dads house in longford. Snow drift are now at 4 feet on the road outside and they have no access

I'm in south Cavan, just across the border from Longford., what part of Longford is that?
    We hadn't much more snow here since bed time, a good covering all told, but no major drifts, i am staying in, but if the need arose I could move if necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Still snowing here in West Cork just outside Bantry.
    got 75-100mm last night and there is fine powder falling now.
    No Traffic seems to be passing so people are heeding the warnings and rightly so.
    Driving conditions would be pretty poor on summer tyres atm.

Advertisement