Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Loc. Waterford.

Guess where I left my shovel yesterday evening.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

West Waterford, Knockmealdowns.

We didn't get a lot more, maybe a few cm, I can see on the radar that we seem to get a lot less than both East and West of the coast.

It still looks nice and more importantly, we still have power thank goodness.
    The wind just seems to have redistributed most of the snow from yesterday with a bit on top. The driveway and roofs have been swept off, to deposit snow in 20/30 cm drifts here and there.

All perfect as far as I'm concerned, and glad I don't have to go anywhere :)

Wishing power to those without it, I know all too well the hardship without it, we're usually in the firing line for the other storms and powercuts.

26697953328_771a1efee1_z.jpg1march (1 of 1) by Anne L., on Flickr
    26697961148_5c648b111c_z.jpg2march (1 of 1)-2 by Anne L., on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

The snowfall in Dublin 15 is incredible...Castleknock/Blanchardstown.

Our Road blocked by drifts 3/4 feet in places.

Best snowfall since 1982 here ....much much more than 2010...see pics

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KingBobby

20180302_073312_zpshycwxehk.jpg

Dublin 16

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Calibos wrote: »
    Hour 6, one last look out the Velux at Meath Road in Bray before sleep and..............

...[Sigh] The Ice Pellets are simply not accumulating down here. Still only about 2cm at best on the footpaths and road that were clear at 9pm.

I am expecting to wake up to same about 9am. Beyond frustrating to be house-bound for the duration of this but without a big payoff at the end.

What promised to be the most incredible sequence of weather events delivering historic snow depths in decades is nothing of the sort where I am in Bray. FFS!! :(

Just back awake lads and as expected nothing accumulated since last night near the Seafront. Beyond disappointed :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

advising people they can go outside was daft , they should have left it in place until 1 PM as previously .

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Oops69 wrote: »
    advising people they can go outside was daft , they should have left it in place until 1 PM as previously .

It's very localised. Some places have barely any snow at the moment, so no reason for them not to be able to go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Home to help the folks for the few days.

The drifts are amazing in Roscommon.
    Hard to tell if it's fresh snow or just existing being blown around at the mo.

Don't know how any creature could have survived outdoors last night.

It's still very wild out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭davidglanza

Cork city

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

More Tallaght

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭doseire

Backroad south meath

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Wasn't a huge amount of snow between midnight and now in Dublin 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Rathnew/Wicklow Town lost power around 11:30pm last night, came back on around 2:30am. Woke up to a reasonable covering but nothing like as much as predicted although its hard to say the level we got as its all dusty and blowing around like a sand storm. Good few cm up by the door, but not enough to cover the grass or the road where its blowing about. Think it was the dusty crap more than decent flakes all night. It’s still going pretty much the same as when I went to bed. Enough for the kids to build their first snowmen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,770 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Currently in my folks in D12, plenty of snow about but nowhere near 2010. My next door neighbour in Firhouse/Ballycullen just sent me a pic of our road and the snow is in drifts easily 3-4 feet high in the middle of the road. Kind of sorry I'm not at home now!

Would love another good pelt of snow today but from reading MT's forecast it doesn't seem likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

13 inches of snow fell here last night in Gorey with 2-3ft snow drifts and it's still snowing heavily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Well it's gotten heavier anyway here in Cork City, no wind though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I think they jumped the gun slightly

Probably for Dublin. Nothing else exists for Leo & Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Ich bin ein snowman

I’m switching from Thorntons, second time in 4 months they haven’t shown up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

South Kildare/Carlow border. I texted the boss to say I was coming in to Naas as we'd had so little last night.

He thought I was taking the piss.
    Amazing difference 30 miles makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Are you in Castlewarren or Muckalee area? Nothing much in the town all night. A light barely there snow shower got twenty minutes just now but that was it. I wonder is your weather coming doen the hills or away from town?

Yes Muckalee area and it continues to snow. One can see on the netweather radar how the higher ground around Kilkenny city is getting heavier snow.
    https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar
    fg1406 wrote: »
    Another update from east KK: very little snow overnight. Maybe a centimetre. Wind currently 4km/hr.

We got some decent snow here north east Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭tscul32

Malahide end of Swords here, not too far from the sea. Had that fine ice/snow all night, a bit disappointed to see nothing extra really on the ground this morning. However the car opposite ours is white while ours is still red, both had been stripped of all snow by the kids yesterday. Made some stuff up for the birds and stepped out the back. I sank about 6-7 cm. That wasn't there 12 hours ago (kids had stripped the patio too, several toys have disappeared, presume they'll reappear during the thaw). The wind really mixed up the fall/sticking last night. Our front looks like nothing happened but the back got well covered. Hoping for some more nice big flakes today...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

South Dublin disappointment
    Nothing new. Still with the freezing rain and wind moving snow around into nice drifts but stripping it elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

Calibos wrote: »
    Just back awake lads and as expected nothing accumulated since last night near the Seafront. Beyond disappointed :confused::confused:

I would imagine you don't need to wander far to see some accumulations. Must be wind plus your location? Wicklow town only 200m from the sea has decent coverage. Would have thought your location was similar. Still chucking down here too.

Eoin247 wrote: »
    It's very localised. Some places have barely any snow at the moment, so no reason for them not to be able to go out.
    fair enough .. it may be the way RTE is reporting it, as if everyone is being left off school at 3pm and can tear off away back shopping and up and down the motorways .

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Snowed in here in celbridge. Some drifts up to car height, possibly higher. Madness!!!

Coopaloop wrote: »
    Snowed in here in celbridge. Some drifts up to car height, possibly higher. Madness!!!
    its ok , you're allowed outside now so you can start shovelling :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I ran down to the main road to get some more pics. This is the main N25 between Waterford and New Ross. I don't know if you can really see in the pics but there are MASSIVE drifts across the width of the road, they're so cool but difficult to photograph.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Wasn't a huge amount of snow between midnight and now in Dublin 5
    I'm on the coast here north of Malahide and if anything it rained. It's up to 0.5c now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Currently in my folks in D12, plenty of snow about but nowhere near 2010. My next door neighbour in Firhouse/Ballycullen just sent me a pic of our road and the snow is in drifts easily 3-4 feet high in the middle of the road. Kind of sorry I'm not at home now!

Would love another good pelt of snow today but from reading MT's forecast it doesn't seem likely.

Based on MT's forecast back on page 369 it easily looks like there could be more snow in dublin today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Looks like my employer expects us into work here in ennis!! Plenty of snow overnight and still coming down.

Just not worth trying to get to work. Risks outweighs the benefits

Advertisement