Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,770 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

leahyl wrote: »
    Omg Dial Hard!! Those pics are unreal!

The best thing is, I was dreaming all night that when we woke up the snow was completely gone and it was sunny and warm out and I was so disappointed. Thought I woke up and looked out and the snow from the past few days was still mostly there but nothing new had fallen and it was clearly starting to thaw. And then I really woke up and looked out at that :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    I would say thats local to you as it is still on air and working fine

rte 1 went first then rte2 then tv3 then tng4
    they all come in on saor view

all other satellite channels ok

ps.

other channels beginning to go sk1 gone now.

must be snow on the dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Very heavy snow ,big flakes in Dunshaughlin,heaviest since initial snow shower tuesday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Saying on the radio there that it's now ok to "venture out" in red warning areas, but that because the warning is still active we shouldn't travel. What the hell is that supposed to mean??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Unbelievable! Never seen or remember anything like this in my 30 years. Was getting worried during the week but worth the wait. Measured 15cms in my backway and a 4 foot drift at my front door! Glad I have a young kid to share this memory with, and thanks to all the forecasters here for keeping us reassured snowmaggedon wouldn't leave us out.

Congrats to the lads in mallow too who seemed to be in the same situation yesterday.

Whoohoo!!

East Limerick/North Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Up wicklow. About time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Into hour 16 and its a total white out in Arklow
    No let up at all
    My wellingtons went down full dept and beyond where the snow is level and this is covered over in the last half hour in a combination of the spin drifting and the heavy snow
    Out in the fields as I was heading back to the yard,my tracks were completely gone in 5 mins such is the drifting and the heavy snow falling
    Even where I was waist deep is covered in
    Its very deceptive as you'd be going along go waist deep and then suddenly sink more
    Unreal snow falling now,same as all night
    Copious!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Standman wrote: »
    Saying on the radio there that it's now ok to "venture out" in red warning areas, but that because the warning is still active we shouldn't travel. What the hell is that supposed to mean??

build a snowman, have a snowball fight but there's no transport and don't attempt to drive.

tldr : pretend you are 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Thought all of Dublin would be worst hit but from pics we have a lot more snow in Galway. Will take pics now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Gonna take a seriously long time for all this to thaw looking at some of these pics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

It means do what you want but have a bit of cop on. Your immediate locale may be fine but 10 minutes up the road may be treacherous

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Dial Hard wrote: »
    The best thing is, I was dreaming all night that when we woke up the snow was completely gone and it was sunny and warm out and I was so disappointed. Thought I woke up and looked out and the snow from the past few days was still mostly there but nothing new had fallen and it was clearly starting to thaw. And then I really woke up and looked out at that :D:D:D

You’re so lucky! Coming down now in Cork and we have a good covering so I’m happy enough:-P
    Looking out the window reminds me of Home Alone when he comes out the front door and the scene with the snow falling :-D

PLL wrote: »
    Thought all of Dublin would be worst hit but from pics we have a lot more snow in Galway. Will take pics now.

I think dublin from pics I have seen was worst hit along with Kildare and Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

FrStone wrote: »
    Got a few cms of snow here in Cork alright - no high winds or anything like that. Looks like Met Eireann got it wrong.

Emma stalled, still in play for now, weakening, no one got this one right; but the force of the winds were questioned from as early as last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

C'mon Emma will you move north! Completely dry now.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

Here in North Wexford we've gone from no accumulation at 5pm last night, to this...

O2KM78w.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Just been outside shoveling some snow.

Definite thaw on (north Kildare), even though its still windy/snowing (maybe even back to sleet).

still very windy.

Also heard some conflicting info on the 8am news on todayfm. They said RED weather alert is now over...but Met.IE still say it stands to later today.

I guess Todayfm mixed up between Red alert and stay indoors advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Kells - Meath. I can't see any change in the weather. Snow still blowing past my window, as it has for the last 40 hours or so now.. Maybe it stopped during the night, but it is back now.. There are a few nice drifts, one on my lane , must be 140 cm or so in the middle of the road. The back garden has seen + 20 cm since 7 PM last night. Not sure how much of that is drifting vs fresh snow. Will venture out later for exact measurement, but I'd say it is close to 1 m now.

I don't think we're done yet. Not here. But I somehow should be going to Dublin today, I guess that is off the cards ? Any reports on M3/M50 ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I reckon Red Alert will be extended. Similar conditions expected to continue til at least 9pm tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I would've had much more snow if Emma didn't come. She's killing the steamers and bringing nothing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

No rulers, but my visual guide has been this box at the front of the garden. 11pm last night vs now, in D15. I guess we accumulated another couple of inches, maybe 3 or 4. The drifting around the bottom of the box is more, and is quite substantial elsewhere in the garden, but I know it's not exactly a good guide.

cFhy0qR.jpg

It's not the 20cm that some of the models suggested for this area overnight, but on aggregate I think we have more now than I can remember before. I'm post-1982 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

mfceiling wrote: »
    Aren't you legally in work even when you are travelling there? So the responsibility of your safety is on your employer if you venture out in this weather?

Nope. That's if your going to a customer site and it's extra on your normal journey time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

It means it is now safe to go outdoors but don't try to drive on the roads.

It feels strange here in raheny, really dark overhead but not actually snowing. Doesn’t appear to be any thaw here, too cold I would think. I thought it was meant to be continuous snow until about 6pm but hasn’t snowed for a couple of hours here. Seems off given how dark it is above

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Ogie84

A nice covering in Cork now, the worst of this event seems to have been further east judging by the comments here and the pictures. The wind never came to much down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Markgc

Before you have fun building your snowomen, ensure you feed the birds and the wildlife that come around your house. They're not having fun. They need all help they can get.
    Call in to elderly neighbours too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Dont know how i manages to climb out the front door this morning in Kildare. Snow is roughly 3-4 foot deep level on the road. Drifts over the car roofs in places

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

My back garden this morning..the snow is now half way up my washing line and still pelting down...nothing moving..roads impassable.. Waterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Blizzard like conditions still persist here in South Wexford (Cleariestown/Duncormick)

Advertisement