Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

How are the snow levels then in general around north Dublin? I've spoken to people out in D13 and Malahide and like myself, D5, seen no increase since last night. Curious because my flight was cancelled today (at a good cost to me) and yet nobody's reported anything getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Jerry is back!!! And mentioning sleet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

bored of it now, i await sunny spring days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Cars abandoned all over the place around clonsilla.

A guy tried to drive off the end of our road. Not realising it was a high kerb and a green area, it was all completely covered to the same level. He was a bit shaken but not hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

bored of it now, i await sunny spring days :) oops wrong thread, apologies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Anyone still getting heavy snow?

Navan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Still snowing North Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

ixoy wrote: »
    How are the snow levels then in general around north Dublin? I've spoken to people out in D13 and Malahide and like myself, D5, seen no increase since last night. Curious because my flight was cancelled today (at a good cost to me) and yet nobody's reported anything getting worse.

im in swords we probably got 4-6cm. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Decent show in Dublin City centre, and the wind seems to have dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

My stroll around 3 this morning. Was wild]

Slight problem though, Emma stalled so is not representative of your lovely movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

Nice chunky flakes falling in Clondalkin, thaw from early seems to have stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Maynooth

3_C93_B1_F8_13_A4_4_C5_C_8_C10_581_A537_A6_CA2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

I dont see how anywhere could have more than we got in Sallins, and if somewhere did id rather them than us

Id say its nearly 6.5 feet here on the Clane road.
    https://i.imgur.com/IyfBpMs.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kZUl6Ko.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6CICuUk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

Woke up to 15cm in Clonmel (from 1cm the night before). Haven't seen very heavy snow yet, just slow but steady light-moderate snow that continues. (Conditions were much worse from the Irish Sea showers on Wednesday) Doesn't look like there's been any drifting at all.

khSh8jol.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭ratracer

I’m in South Galway, and pretty much as forecast on here, strong wind and snow last night, about 4-6 inches in the open, drifts as high as the wall (3ft). It’s been snowing constantly since I got up at 8am, but no wind now and the bitterness is gone out of the cold.
    Had great fun with the kids and the dog outside, great memories made, as who knows when we will have this amount of snow again!
    Fair play to MT Cranium and all the regular forecasters on here, great work once again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

For all the people moaning and bitching about the Red warning here and the 'order' to stay indoors, at least there will be no tears and no funerals here, unlike the UK. Imagine dying on your way to work? Imagine burying your seven-year-old while others are busy building snowmen. There are worse things than having to take a day off work or stay inside when it looks perfectly alright to go out.

For my money, the government here called it correctly. There are far too many employers who would have kept their staff in work and not given too much of shite as to when or how they got home. It was a good idea for them to call it so early before things got rough or dark fell because again, there were those places that were stayed open past the 4 pm deadline, I can only assume out of greed and not need.

The Times - The UK one

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Gerry just said sleet 8 times

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭morticia2

Wet snow in Ballybrack. Got the kids out early as I think it's thawing faster from the bottom than it is accumulating on top. ME are saying it's -1; think its been above 0 here along the coast since last night. Accumulation winning out overnight but not for too much longer, I suspect. Deepest areas only 10cm....enough to warrant shutting everyone down because of skid/injury risk, but there was no complete whiteout....I remember those from ski hills in Canada when I lived there, and we were nowhere close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Limerick city continued light or moderate snow. Measured car roof again, up to 7 cm now, was 5 cm three hours ago. Slight thaw but compensated for by the extra snow.

Much brighter now and quite light snow, so possible warming as we approach noon and slow down of the snow accumulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

pad199207 wrote: »
    Maynooth

3_C93_B1_F8_13_A4_4_C5_C_8_C10_581_A537_A6_CA2.png

And that right there is exactly why the red warning was justified.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Was out for a stroll/romp in the snow in Dublin 16. Nothing can get in or out of our estate with snow drifts...saw somebody try and fail after a lot of digging. Nothing (as in traffic) on Grange Road (Rathfarnham)....pretty much impassable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

There was some clown in a wee 1 litre citroen trying to dig his car out of his driveway. I tried to tell him that he has a quarter of a mile of digging to go as the roads are not clear between here and the main road. But he was not for listening, he wants to try to get to work apparently.
    The main road looks like no cars have passed on it for a few hours.

The snow has picked up again here in D16. There is a 1 metre drift in our garden. Cars tyres are buried. Snow up over my knee when I went for a walk earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Mad snow in Arklow
    18hrs into Emma

Some twitter live video of M11 Arklow bypass on my feed also

This is a 20 acre field
    Though snow has drifted 5 ft at top it’s easily 14 inches or more average cover throughout
    Probably more because Wellington’s aren’t going down full depth
    Might be 18 inches

https://twitter.com/arklowweather/status/969529995658973184?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭BeerFarts

Lots of snow in Loughrea and still coming down.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Thawing a bit in Drimnagh but has also been snowing steadily for the last 20 mins or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

Absolutely relentless in North Wexford, already drifts covering 4/5 of my bathroom window and not due to stop anytime soon. I've had to dig a path out of my driveway which are full of snow dunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Still snowing nicely in North Cork. Lovely out, but no way is driving an option!
    33w1wli.jpg24opzbl.jpg
    And we had some fun !
    1zfu9mo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

No snow in Swords where I am for a while and I can definitely see a thaw happening! Also no electricity since 10.30 last night and not expected back til 20.30 this evening :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭thomasj

Back garden This morning 

Advertisement