Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Thawing away here in East Meath. Less here now than at 3am. Becoming worryingly damp ! Melting off cars etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

pad199207 wrote: »
    Maynooth

3_C93_B1_F8_13_A4_4_C5_C_8_C10_581_A537_A6_CA2.png

Thats my main road into town, thank f*** I stocked up on food on Tuesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Inchicore is a whiteout. People are walking on the road as the snow is too deep on the footpaths

Is anything open Do you know? I'm in the ranch and out of milk and everything else except bread 😣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

For those of us in the worst-hit areas - what are the chances of this having cleared up by Monday. Following the link https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-5.81,48.70,3000/loc=-7.112,49.318 and I don't know if I'm looking at it right, but it seems that there's so much more of Emma to come???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Jollyman

Ardmore Waterford

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ballincollig Cork

28660500_896833770477362_2012015588796793425_n.jpg?oh=f64c7a4568f816518c7fcaea895298ff&oe=5B110BB2

28377864_896833813810691_7660447092746220611_n.jpg?oh=cddfbca3e7cc46e8793dbafb8dd5dcd9&oe=5B49E924

28467651_896833960477343_4768617367436886591_n.jpg?oh=30b51332144be098b9d60f7e080dcee7&oe=5B4E78FD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Anyone still getting heavy snow?

Fair bit coming down now in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Shelga

I'm in D5 also, definitely got a fair dumping of extra snow last night. Drifts of about 18 inches in the back garden. :D Mad how it seems to vary so much from one postcode to the next, even from one neighbourhood to the next!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Bucketing down in Carpenterstown for the last hour, best snow of the last few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Very windy now, sideways snow! (Drimnagh, D12)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

revelman wrote: »
    Where? Snow has been relentless here for over 3 hours.

Crookstown area between Bandon and Macroom. Actually some light patchy snowfall has started up again here. Has there been much snowfall in Ballinspittle /Garretstown area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

light snow with the odd moderate burst. Not sticking to cleared surfaces. S dublin coast

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭thomasj

Heavy snowfall in Clonsilla now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

This post has been deleted.

You can get issues with transformers becoming covered in snow and overheating and tripping out.

Likewise, the Virgin Media issue that someone was reporting could be a similar thing - a cabinet insulated by snow with its air vents blocked would potentially do that.

We've a lot of very distributed telecommunications infrastructure these days. Instead of your lines going to a local telephone exchange in a building, your broadband services are provided from little street cabinets, both in the case of Eir (and all the providers using VDSL) and also Virgin Media (different cabinets)

The one thing with a big fault of 6000+ ESB connections is that it's probably an easy-to-get-to local transformer and can be remedied quickly. Local, smaller, faults in hard-to-reach places are much more difficult.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

morgana wrote: »
    And we had some fun !
    1zfu9mo.jpg

I love it! snow cat :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

We better get used to periods like this for the next years 'cause with solar minimum just around the corner, these kinds of periods are to be more frequent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Coming down in heavy bursts in Rathfarnham (Terenure end). Fairly deep out there, some drifting. Was expecting it to die off, but it's getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Poochie05

444150.jpegThe drifts are incredible. While the patio has a bare covering, here is the side gate
    Wexford Town

• Registered Users Posts: 15 windyout

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Was out for a stroll/romp in the snow in Dublin 16. Nothing can get in or out of our estate with snow drifts...saw somebody try and fail after a lot of digging. Nothing (as in traffic) on Grange Road (Rathfarnham)....pretty much impassable.

Down the road from you at rathfarnham bridge.... he won't be opening any time soon....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

sryanbruen wrote: »
    We better get used to periods like this for the next years 'cause with solar minimum just around the corner, these kinds of periods are to be more frequent.

Can you explain this a bit more? I thought there was a minimum and maximum to a general period, but do you mean that there will be a more extensive minimum period?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

And that right there is exactly why the red warning was justified.:cool:

Yes ... for that area (county)

3 cm of snow here in Kerry ...No blizzard

That is the reason the red warning wasn't justified

Some people in decisions making and professional weather forecasting got a bit ahead of themselves i guess

Stunning pics nonetheless :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Last night I was criticising Met Eireann, but I was wrong. We got snow and drifts and all sorts (though not much wind...)

So, Met Eireann, I APOLOGISE :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Very strong winds and heavy snowfall in Sandymount . .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still snowing here but it's thawing more than sticking.

A good way to test it is to wipe snow off a surface. Snow melts on impact on the surface I cleared. Very wet snow at this stage and the intensity just isn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Snow is quiet heavy here north east of Kilkenny as the drifts continue to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

Achasanai wrote: »
    Can you explain this a bit more? I thought there was a minimum and maximum to a general period, but do you mean that there will be a more extensive minimum period?

low point expected for 2019-2020 as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Lucan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Nice fall in D4 now and sticking

Beverly Hills, California

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Nice dinner plates falling in Dublin 5. I'm not sure how but I have almost 50cm in the garden here I'm not trolling/lying!

Advertisement