Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

weisses wrote: »
    Yes ... for that area (county)

3 cm of snow here in Kerry ...No blizzard

That is the reason the red warning wasn't justified
    Yes. The next time they need to give forecasts by Eircode. So for example, your house & driveway could be a Yellow warning only, while next door could be Red.

Perhaps Google Maps could display the 42,000 different variations of forecast, so people can plan their trips. "I could go via the Dublin road, but I notice there is a Red warning outside the Centra. I'll go via the Nenagh road instead, as the only warning is the stretch outside the O'Connors house."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Some people in decisions making and professional weather forecasting got a bit ahead of themselves i guess

Stunning pics nonetheless :D

The red warning was for what MIGHT happen across all parts of the country.

And that did happen for a lot of the country. They cannot predict to the square metre what will happen.
    And the red warning saved lives- that's the important thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

It's feels like there is a slight lull in the amount of snow falling here in Courtown, definitely feels colder than what it did at around 9am.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

Jaysus life changing neck injuries from trying to take pictures of snow, and father hospitalised too.

Hopefully quick recoveries to both, if possible

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0302/944543-cork-mayfield/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Zoney wrote: »
    Limerick city continued light or moderate snow. Measured car roof again, up to 7 cm now, was 5 cm three hours ago. Slight thaw but compensated for by the extra snow.

Much brighter now and quite light snow, so possible warming as we approach noon and slow down of the snow accumulation.

Light snow but quite good fall from it

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Vxlks

Snow here in Rathfarnham D14 is Heavy and been like this since about 10! was more snizzle when i awoke

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Thawing away here in East Meath. Less here now than at 3am. Becoming worryingly damp ! Melting off cars etc.

similar here. snowing lightly but snow already not quite as deep in places as it was at 3am last night. Dripping from all the gutters.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Southeast Wexford, we are getting hammered here, unreal amounts of Snow Falling non-stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

hmmm wrote: »
    Yes. The next time they need to give forecasts by Eircode. So for example, your house & driveway could be a Yellow warning only, while next door could be Red.

Perhaps Google Maps could display the 42,000 different variations of forecast, so people can plan their trips. "I could go via the Dublin road, but I notice there is a Red warning outside the Centra. I'll go via the Nenagh road instead, as the only warning is the stretch outside the O'Connors house."

Some people believe Ireland is massive, a one size fits all is the ONLY approach this country can afford to take. Otherwise we would have people on complaining about how much tax dollars ME receive annually and "sure we never get red warnings whats the point"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Dun Laoghaire harbor today, never seen waves like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

98m asl in Tallaght, no sign of stopping either.

301obja.jpg

2vki4v9.jpg

125ia7c.jpg

2gvpq8o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Some people in decisions making and professional weather forecasting got a bit ahead of themselves i guess

Stunning pics nonetheless :D

There's a few inches of snow at least after here in Kerry,well where I am anyway and I'm lowland,a long time since I seem this amount not remotely like 2010 which was basically hard frosty dryish cold spell

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Nice dinner plates falling in Dublin 5. I'm not sure how but I have almost 50cm in the garden here I'm not trolling/lying!
    Nothing really like that here - and I'm just next door (Killester), close enough that a number of apps geo-locate me as being in Artane.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

fepper wrote: »
    There's a few inches of snow at least after here in Kerry,well where I am anyway and I'm lowland,a long time since I seem this amount not remotely like 2010 which was basically hard frosty dryish cold spell

Blizzard conditions in Dublin 15 with mmmassive flakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I find very hard to believe that its still -1c at Dublin Airport, there has been discussion in this forum about the location of the site over the years.
    1.6c here and a slow thaw despite "real" snow falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Cork is getting hammered all morning
    Extraordinary conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

East Meath.
    This was a road...
    RbZz0Q.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

There will be a quick thaw in Limerick.

Doesn't feel cold anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Moderate snow here again near Mallow. Can't remember ever such a prolonged fall. Normally the sun is out by now and thaw beginning. Looks like light snowfall at least for the rest of the day with Emma moving at a snails pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Still snowing in Cork but I get the sense that there was bit of a thaw happening. Lots of snow falling from trees etc Still was a lovely morning for a walk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Snow going all night and morning in Galway drifts a few feet deep in places....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Cork is getting hammered all morning
    Extraordinary conditions

It's epic, snowing moderate to heavy since 5AM. Out for a walk earlier, it was like Winterfell!

Sth Coastal Wexford
    Still snowing hard. Winds easing but still breezy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

21 inches on the path outside my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Achasanai wrote: »
    Can you explain this a bit more? I thought there was a minimum and maximum to a general period, but do you mean that there will be a more extensive minimum period?

I'll quote what I said in a post about solar activity in regards to 2010:
    Solar Cycle 24 (2008 to present) had began in December 2008 which meant solar activity was at its lowest in December 2008. With solar activity, there's two different phenomena, one is the solar minimum where solar activity is at its lowest and you'll get long periods of spotless days. The other is solar maximum where you'll rarely ever see a spotless day and in fact, solar activity at its maximum point for the solar cycle. Each solar cycle is different in strength, duration etc but the duration is normally around 11-12 years. If you don't know what sunspots are, they're basically dark spots on the sun which stand out because they're very different looking to the sun's appearance. Can you make out the sunspots here on this image of the sun for example? You sure can, it's those small black or dark spots.

Sunwithspots.jpg

Historically, the coldest of Winters are just before, during or after solar minimum. These include 1946-47, 1961-62, 1962-63, 1963-64, 1976-77, 1977-78, 1978-79, 1984-85, 1985-86, 1986-87, 1995-96, 1996-97, 2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-11.

Why do these occur specifically around these parts of the solar cycle? Historically, northern blocking over Greenland, Scandinavia etc tend to be more frequent and more stubborn during these years. We are at the same part of the solar cycle as 2010 was here in 2018 but the main difference is that 2010 was after solar minimum in December 2008 and 2018 here is going into solar minimum by the end of the year or in 2019. If we were to base the solar activity right now on a similar season, it would be Winter 2007-08 which had a few teasers for what was to come in the three following Winters (such as the December anticyclonic spell, January 2008 heavy snow and brief easterly, February 2008 anticyclonic spell, March and April snow showers) and I feel Winter 2017-18 is a teaser of what's to come in the next few Winters from 2018-19 to 2020-21 or even after. Solar cycle 25 is expected to be the weakest solar cycle since the Dalton Minimum and perhaps us going into a mini Ice Age as some people say which will increase the chances of cold Winters historically - Winters during the Maunder and Dalton Minimums were brutally cold though obviously there were mild Winters too. With this in mind, I feel years like 2010 may be a bit more frequent and perhaps more severe, 2018 might become one of those years. 2018 is set to be the most spotless year on the sun since 2009. 2009 was the most spotless year in more than a century to emphasise the significance of these expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

It's proper snowing in Clondalkin. The path was shovelled earlier in the back garden, but it could well be filled in again somewhat later.

My sister in Naas reckons that there is around three feet of snow in her back garden. The front of their house got a right pelting of snow last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Snow going all night and morning in Galway drifts a few feet deep in places....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Snowing in Dublin 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Tree covered in icicles from an iced up gutter above

Advertisement