Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Tramore is still under severe snow, really heavy and no let up yet.

Here is some more pics, the roads in these pics are main roads and are under about a foot to 2 foot of snow currently. Snow drifts in the area are up to 4 - 5 feet.

On3H2Yih.jpg

aMANvyFh.jpg

mS1LAw2h.jpg

M4MMVqDh.jpg

ZDabdckh.jpg

V1TSIE3h.jpg

Also if anyone can view this, main street tramore earlier:

https://www.facebook.com/aine.phelan/videos/10155475247362725/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I personally prefer and thought 2010 was more impressive here for my area specifically, Dublin 13.

I know that Kildare certainly has some shocking scenes but I'm only speaking for my area.

I agree. Same area.

Is there a meteorological explanation. Is it as simple as a stalled front?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Not on the northside where I am it isn't, and it might be very slight. The temps will probably drop again nearer sunset. The cloud cover hasn't broken yet.

Snow, though a bit wetter, still piling up here in Bishopstown but I have noticed it is starting to slide off the cars as it is obviously getting a bit milder.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Not on the northside where I am it isn't, and it might be very slight. The temps will probably drop again nearer sunset. The cloud cover hasn't broken yet.

That's what I'm hoping for, the snow to continue until Sunday set when it will freeze and sticking starts again. Although my dark skies app is predicting rain to come around 9/10 :(
    Netweather says the chance of snow fall gets less tonight but doesn't show it as rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

Snow getting heavier again in Wexford town big flakes this time. Unbelievable

Any sign of thaw down there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

revelman wrote: »
    Extraordinary given what is happening just a few miles down the road here. The snow is getting heavier and heavier by the minute and hasn’t stopped for 3 hours!

Same here! Looks like more heavy stuff is coming according to netweather. It's weird to see it snowing yet some things melting, my phone says it 1°c currently so maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I personally prefer and thought 2010 was more impressive here for my area specifically, Dublin 13.

I know that Kildare certainly has some shocking scenes but I'm only speaking for my area.
    Agree. Emma didn't really make it north of the Liffey. I'm hearing no reports of any disruption from places north of Dublin such as Drogheda, Dundalk, north Co Dublin etc.
    I'm giving up now, whats left of Emma has stalled and I'm expecting nothing more than flurries from now on.

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Not really. Kilkenny last night hadn't much fresh snow. Its been going now for about 4 hours :)

That’s still where the front is going west though. It’s stalled going north last night. And the main snow bands are driving West and south. You can see that on netweather.

Any sign of thaw down there?

Yes. Big flakes :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,124 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's pretty epic alright. Puts 2010 in the ha'penny place.
    Just saw a video of Penney's in Wexford,all the snow on the roof sliding off into the street.

I've had to try clear the snow from the roof as it's so heavy it's broken some of the guttering clips. Will have to get the whole thing repaired next week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Rochestown, Cork here. Never seen so much snow. Nearly another foot overnight. Absolutely incredible.

Agree. Emma didn't really make it north of the Liffey. I'm hearing no reports of any disruption from places north of Dublin such as Drogheda, Dundalk, north Co Dublin etc.

I was watching the heavier snow on the radar last night. It literally hit a wall around the Irish Sea just east of the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

There is a snow drift where I am, here in North Kildare that's completely blocking the main road out of our village. It's approx 7 feet high and maybe half a km long, going the length of the road. It came across from an exposed field. Dozens of people out taking pics, never seen anything like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Pictures coming in from friends and relatives in South KK show well over one foot level and rising with extreme drifting.

Truly a once in a generation event.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭thomasj

Here in Dublin 15 , hands down its beaten 2010 . Send pictures of my back garden to friends and people were stunned. We got it bad in 2010 but could get around no problem. The drifts have left crazy amounts at the top of our road.

Odd snow flurry here in Dundalk, but theres a definite thaw occuring as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Never seen snow like it here in kildare before and I'm in my 40s.
    My garden in monasterevin 14 inches deep and 4 to 5 foot in the drifts.
    Power gone here all morning, kids loving the pancakes cooked on the stove in living room.
    Still snowing lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Dcully wrote: »
    Never seen snow like it here in kildare before and I'm in my 40s.
    My garden in monasterevin 14 inches deep and 4 to 5 foot in the drifts.
    Power gone here all morning, kids loving the pancakes cooked on the stove in living room 😀
    Still snowing lightly.

Heavy snow in Inchicore. Like being up the alps.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

I haven't heard any reports from the hillier parts of rural north county Dublin, they could have seen much more than the coastal towns.
    The Naul, Garristown and Manowar areas have terrain that exceeds 100m above sea level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

I believe shops opening after 1 today. Anyone know if fuel - briquettes, coal, timber available and, if so, where. Need some tomorrow at latest. Thanks. Hope ye are all wrapped up and cosy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Thawing well in D9. Colder air must be straddling south of the city away from the coast.

Up till 3am and we were doing as well as anyone - snow coming down fast and depths flying up. We missed out on most of the heaviest streamers stuff and there was only a level ~10-13cm on the ground ignoring minor drifts before 8pm last night. Did well to get up to over 20cm with deeper in drifts.

Only drifting now is the cold spell slowly drifting away from my part of Dublin.

Enjoy those who are in line for more snow. Can see Wexford and and Wicklow catching up to N.Kildare by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Ladies and gentlemen, my 54 year old dad let the inner child out and went kayaking down the hill :pac: :pac:

https://streamable.com/4i57k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Rochestown, Cork here. Never seen so much snow. Nearly another foot overnight. Absolutely incredible.

Relentless here in Cobh. Snowed in. Is there any chance of us getting out tomorrow? Cabin Fever :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I'm watching the neighbours clearing the snow off their cars, it's the metre of snow in front of them that might pose more of a problem. :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

Phoenix park and Castleknock.

Drifts up to 3/4 feet with 40/50 cm on ground.

Snowing again..heavily

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Just measured out the back. 55cm fell in a sheltered spot since it began in Dublin 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I'm giving up now, whats left of Emma has stalled and I'm expecting nothing more than flurries from now on.

There wasn't disruption in south dublin either until you get out as far as sandy ford and clondalkin and tallaght areas. Coastal areas doclands to dun laoghaire, ballsbridge, rathgar,dundrum milltown, rathmines are snowy but not that disruptive imo

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Unbelievable snowfall in Kilkenny City all this morning, still hammering down now.

Magical conditions and more than makes up for the lack of blizzard like conditions last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Over 1000 homes still without power in Carrigaline area, 120 in Kinsale area and over 100 in Innishannon. Absolutely plummeting it down here in south Cork making working conditions even more difficult. Fair play to the ESB crews working to reconnect homes all over the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

I'm watching the neighbours clearing the snow off their cars, it's the metre of snow in front of them that might pose more of a problem. :):):)

Just saw a guy doing that outside. There's no way to drive a car out there. I hope he's not intending on trying.

Advertisement