Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Went for a walk around the Mardyke/Sunday’s Well area in Cork. Fitzgerald’s Park is closed but the Mardyke walk/skatepark is open. There are people trying to snowboard in the skatepark! Lovely athmosphere around. Lots of kids (and adults) making snowmen! There are people building a big polar bear in Sunday’s well up the road from me...can’t wait to see it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Muinteoir2018

Yes certainly catching up here in Wexford. It's relentless! Fab!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I haven't heard any reports from the hillier parts of rural north county Dublin, they could have seen much more than the coastal towns.
    The Naul, Garristown and Manowar areas have terrain that exceeds 100m above sea level.

Update from Fingal half an hour ago
    The situation in Fingal is that inland areas fared worse than coastal areas with large accumulations of snow reported in the west of the county in areas like St Margaret’s, Blanchardstown, Naul, Garristown, Oldtown and Ballyboughal. A crew was called out this morning to assist an ambulance which was stuck near Lusk.

Swords got very little new snow and it appears to be thawing. Council have cleared a lot of the main roads too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Snowing here constantly. Not heavily. No sun and its 0 degrees.

What thaw are people seeing in Cork City? There's no thaw in the South side.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

The snow just keeps on coming here in Waterford City. Drifts up to 5 feet. One to tell the grand kids about for sure.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Vxlks

Been snowing heavily in D14 now for about 3 hours! wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

po3HPHsLj

Nice accumulation in Walkinstown

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

So for those of you in the most affected areas? How would you say this compares with 1982/2010?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

While 2010 was a much more prolonged and intensely cold spell, the snow absolutely pales in comparison to this event for me in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭glightning

Is it me, or do the sat images today suggest that the cold pool beat the total cr*p out of storm Emma and literally ripped it apart? Looks nothing like a regular low now and nothing like yesterday.

The other lows also seems to be thinking about just sliding east underneath it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

I haven't heard any reports from the hillier parts of rural north county Dublin, they could have seen much more than the coastal towns.
    The Naul, Garristown and Manowar areas have terrain that exceeds 100m above sea level.

In garristown just on the dublin meath border. Not a whole lot mostly big drifts.
    Thawing a good bit aswell now.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gluppers

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Heavy snow in Inchicore. Like being up the alps.

You should go on Liveline just so Joe can somehow get in a pun.....

How many inches in Inchicore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

While 2010 was a much more prolonged and intensely cold spell, the snow absolutely pales in comparison to this event for me in Kildare.

We got very little snow in 2010. Just very cold temps.
    This snow has been best I have seen since 1982.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

So for those of you in the most affected areas? How would you say this compares with 1982/2010?

Was living in Celbridge 2010

Living in Naas 2018

2018 hands down

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

northgirl wrote: »
    Just saw a guy doing that outside. There's no way to drive a car out there. I hope he's not intending on trying.

Unless they're hover cars they're going nowhere,2 foot of lying snow on the road and drifts double that, even walking is a challenge.
    I'm just trying to get my head around their stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Wasn't alive in 1982, but compared to 2010 there is so much more snow here in cork city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Some pictures from around Celbridge, some serious drifts (1m+) in places

Hazelhatch Road:
    444199.png

Grand Canal:
    444202.png

River Liffey, frozen in places:
    444204.png

444207.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I expect Red Extended for East Leinster until tomorrow morning, orange for the rest of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

I expect Red Extended for East Leinster until tomorrow morning, orange for the rest of the country.

Inland South East only really went red this morning. Expecting same. No way will I be driving any where now until tomorrow. Time to reheat the stew xD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Proper moderate snow with large flakes now (Dalkey). Hoping to reach a decent precipitation rate but its hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

http://lOFUyb.jpg

Out the back of our house.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I reckon Emma is totally done here in South Meath, with a thaw well underway.

This was a very decent event at my location but overall less than half the amount of snow as 2010 and nowhere nearly as bad as 1982.

The main culprits were the IOM Shadow hurt the snow distribution big time, especially the first 2 days of the Beast. Emma started off great yesterday but became fragmented after 1am. I blame the Wicklow mountains for Emma not reaching her full potential in this part of Leinster.

I reckon we've ended up with about 10 inches of snow overall, excluding drifting, very difficult to calculate it with the drifting that is around.

For comparison, 2010 had two major snow events here, each dumping well over 12 inches of snow, close to 20 inches at one point.

1982 had snow several meters high here all over the place with snow lasting on the ground in parts for well over a month.

Kildare and parts of Dublin, wicklow, Wexford and even Cork got the full effect from both the Beast and Emma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

It looks like the Cork cousins can never complain again.

What happen to that guy from some midland country who was calling it a conspiracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

The elderly people around here have never remembered snow this bad. Last time there was anything like this was the big snow of 1947 apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

PMBC wrote: »
    I believe shops opening after 1 today. Anyone know if fuel - briquettes, coal, timber available and, if so, where. Need some tomorrow at latest. Thanks. Hope ye are all wrapped up and cosy.

Wouldn't be so sure...

https://twitter.com/TescoIrl/status/969502199679258625

https://twitter.com/dunnesstores/status/969293942985560065

https://twitter.com/Aldi_Ireland/status/969538296857710592

https://twitter.com/lidl_ireland/status/969530300396195840

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

No real increase in accumulation since last night in Malahide and definitely thawing here. The coastal fringe effect that Weathercheck described is the cause it seems combined with the precip having been less intense this far north. Within a couple of km of the coast (and the estuary hasn’t helped) it’s been like this. Anywhere further inland - just wow.

Memorable regardless. And possible a reload to come although that does look less and less likely.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Firhouse. Still bucketing down. 3 foot drifts in places, about 18 inches in the middle of the road.

2018 overtook 2010 and shoved it into a ditch on the way past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Wouldn't be so sure...

Someone told me they have been to Tesco around Teranure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

2010 was great for longevity and the way the hoarfrost coated every single surface pure white but for me at least this is far, far more snowy. Going on 43 hours now with no break and about 55 hours of cumulative snowfall so far since Tuesday evening, never seen thing remotely close to that in this country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sunsetbeachfan

Snowing heavily in stillorgan near n11. The snow ploughs were out clearing the roads. A handful of cars venturing out. Mostly very quiet. Took some photos really deep snow. Measured 28cm in garden

Advertisement