Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

doylefe wrote: »
    Will my bin be collected on Friday morning. It's full to the brim.
    Not with a nationwide red alert in place it won't!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

oh its definitely worthwhile. If it means less people travelling after one of the coldest nights in the season, then its great. Thats what I meant by 'protect' part of my message. Aka at least people in the west etc know there could be some bad stuff when they wake up / tomorrow afternoon etc.

The other aspect is that the forecast for tomorrow is for full blizzard conditions.

There were some pictures earlier where people were calling them blizzard conditions in Dublin, but in all of those pictures, the visibility was still over 50 Mtrs. In a blizzard, the visibility can well become less than 5 mtrs, which means that if you stand at the back of a large transit van, you won't be able to see the front of it.

In a nutshell, it's not difficult to drive in those conditions, it's IMPOSSIBLE. So, there is a very real need to get as many vehicles off the road for the next period of time to reduce the accident risk, and dramatically reduce the number of calls to emergency services, as asking them to turn out to deal with road traffic accidents will be putting the responders at risk as well.

I was out earlier today, and as a result of gusts of wind not far from here, (Ashbourne), the visibility went from half a mile to almost nothing in the space of a few seconds, and the ONLY option was to stop until it cleared again. I was on minor roads, with a deep ditch full of water either side, so keeping going even at a crawl wasn't an option, it was not possible to see the edges of the road even looking out of the side of the vehicle.

The Forecast for the next 36 hours means that the fewer vehicles on the move, the safer it will be for all concerned.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

guil wrote: »
    Is that Villian from here on the tonight show?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭josip

lobbylad wrote: »
    If I go and collect her, and don't get back by 4pm, will the Gov have snipers out?

https://youtu.be/u7r372I49iI?t=63

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

amor3 wrote: »
    Yep, I'm in the coombe, was brought in Saturday. Staff are doing 24 hour shifts and sleeping in dorms. They are incredible. Enjoy the snow everyone and stay safe.

Well you can only call it one name if its a girl! best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

ANDREWMUFC wrote: »
    Serious question will the pubs be open tomorrow and Friday

Anyone know if The Globe is open on George's St - the excuse is do you wanna go for a little walk in the snow...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

ME have made this red level warning nationwide and from now even though many parts of the country may see relatively insufficient snowfall to justify that level warning. I wonder are they losing the run of themselves somewhat.
    I think it's just that they don't know for sure where will be affected or how badly so they are erring on the side of caution. Cant say I blame them. Given the storm and the potential for anywhere to be hit badly I think they made the right call.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

serious snow here in swords,so much so its gathering on the window glass...major,no thaw today so its all gathering up..mega..so if tomorrow is what they say it will be id lay me cash on friday morning matching 1982 here,,,easy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hard snow here in d2 for a few mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Jean Byrne now on RTE1 TV and no mention of nationwide Red Alert - must have been recorded over an hour ago..... or they haven't told her :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

ME have made this red level warning nationwide and from now even though many parts of the country may see relatively little significant snowfall to justify that level warning. I wonder are they losing the run of themselves somewhat.

I think the problem is, how do you divide it county by county? Some parts of Wicklow are bare, some parts of Wicklow are buried. Ditto Cork, Galway, Westmeath. People these days live so far from work, you may live in an area that is pasted or has nothing, but getting to work may be impossible. Also, don’t forget we’re now talking about a storm with high winds - so fairly minimal snow with high wind can mean complete white-out with no visibility, and people crashing and dying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Speak Now wrote: »
    Our very own Villain on the tonight show (tv3) in a few minutes.

Was that him on Skype.?
    Turned the volume down . Was listening to Joanna on a live Twitter broadcast.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Throw a few slices of bread on top and it won't be long disappearing:p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Fresh snow over compact snow on the road can be dangerous as it hides what's underneath. Very little friction on roads tonight. 4x4 struggling over speed ramps a short time ago.

I measured 12cm this morning outback, after some slight thaw this afternoon its at 13cm now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

screamer wrote: »
    I think it's just that they don't know for sure where will be affected or how badly so they are erring on the side of caution. Cant say I blame them. Given the storm and the potential for anywhere to be hit badly I think they made the right call.

I agree, right call. Also it's a snow/ice warning the latter being as treacherous and potentially life threatening.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,717 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Douglas, Cork, about an hour ago.

y4m_jkS7fPPrhXhQ8YeStD8PbT0O-wbffiDCG-SEne8unXZv37_q_J5wBwxi1FszfqSsBmzfS0za9c8om9S9aIfkQ92TTVbQ8_SOw6i5YtVZq38V3ch8A8OwtMpKBEUgIQfcZPTdOLdsQkn1K8B_23a_7a0MGOxjRIF_pW_FmgwMhQvbWQXCb1toyay9aJTwqFy6ZzJLVpUM6uAZrg_M2Nlug?width=4032&height=3024&cropmode=none

y4mIXovrgR-KkH0CqL1VkXJk5xdhC_Beon2_dA3n-4GFbw3HS9rFjjN2dStFGsw3lk3Z_9BStrznRMS7hJ9poUW5Uuso7gdtbEoH-jfz1dCKgSDV7w26-UKc23tGvvzaGuoOr3bujbYLBlauDXn-8L78xNWnPReYI7TFbwBsxccMstKNTu5wa0SyU3WaCHiuTMP8yXl0bNaRZzMuUCPMN-UbQ?width=4032&height=3024&cropmode=none

y4mVbpbXHSyK_Nr65y4nlcbFq6iLske-3XwnFmpBzltUtJWVZ8KaA9bAfYBK9FO3O3z0zsr3kqi7w-ijgh1MayAqEg7sFeEPdUUzfYsQHXurZqKkSSfn_9ZLdTWzmM5v43A9ER_NpPbTM2PCP2Sn4Ti3B6zgWA8remGC6F7FOz_RTBE9l1FGQkhJcHdSMyw_UgXS8WvmOhhLyiVMvQML-DLqw?width=4032&height=3024&cropmode=none

y4mMwHC44Z__a2DIcFBcPvaXm3Vig1gcjMUrmaDkrdvClggq61ppvAAEV-L6VP40rXkarLwSOgioH4j2ACX3gcd2a-wGybNEfiI9T1IqYQqfcaTJK3zN2iSM1jZO5KVhCyFWkmqPvvi1ov71EIzm7R47NqccPErevyOneC-1o3WVg4t6oryKmRLJO26fr4ZkkLz9SqOwzVJyX14E7OQnqVH-g?width=4032&height=3024&cropmode=none

y4mPn_D3hjsE6apAwqkALQuF5Dms_NJzvAOAvoL81Uo1Mwip915aGX3J04e3E2sYw_sKA-w_azdVwGc9-dE5JiPORPGfE8RpxoTt9eIWAWzOMwf537BxZrxmcJVMax03j49U_K5yORdhx7rMCbxUgziHzCXCg1bpRlmPppzb9zznT5_zpqkB6oRfjYob87Y1K9bAlrQv-bQ3v2xE17g2h3PYA?width=4032&height=3024&cropmode=none

y4mm_x8mXT1-npFj8orcJD99Rzn5pEkbDRTB3_NqzO0EFYOuBxh-dbisKk_QFxlxttPuJtEpj6KVWTg0dZJGGIAmJHQ2NQpwvv4kQtKyu-l_rnee6KebGtFnac1RVQxnRFV2TyVEkZftGrMxHJm3n7Ay1JGaMVtpnoRRNXwKghMbH8GfKNZRFhj_cB7--96mkzI1DQINXke2kLkvvgiDCEw6w?width=4032&height=3024&cropmode=none

y4mRz_LHdr5_zLCdooHqFNhd_AtES_-uTRbfM0WQNRvMZ8ZD0KDuS55PrK5ZeX5xF7eoehTXfuduUbIhMU5AAoVYvj1sXBSrr2qdBKlD15Bbd8PZ27CGG51i3BF1vo95fDe2ncyzTw-E5h2CrxPQm65-bSNMTTNalcp2mXi6Z9Xxr_roS5hIdlnQqRcVyxveb3EZPpmBLxHJuE45HWmxl0qoQ?width=4032&height=3024&cropmode=none

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TeaCup2

Villain wrote: »
    Yep, iPhone at arms length for Skype and a bald head are a bad match :D

You were great, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

fritzelly wrote: »
    Only thing really missing is those big flakes, in Dublin at least
    With the air temperature around -4c we aren't going to get big snowflakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Not a chance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 actaphobia

Looking like a non snow event for dublin tomorrow evening, wind plusvrain right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

White out in Cavan town now

• Registered Users Posts: 20 aonchraic

No sign of M.T tonight? Looking forward to his update.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Really??? You can’t be that much away from me and the whole place is white, icy and fffffreeeeeezing

Never been delighted to be so wrong. Bucketing down now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭abacus120

screamer wrote: »
    Any chance that electricity supplies could be affected?

Of course as with any storm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

ME might have to stop issuing Red Alerts in future for Dublin and start issuing 'Bread Alerts', think they'll take more heed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Latest snow depths up to 23:00, now including my Celbridge measurements too. ...

Wierd that Cork airport is steady. live really near and its been snowing not far off continuously since 4pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

streamer has arrived..whiteout

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Impressive stuff from Cork!!

Latest guidance would give me increased confidence of a complete snow event tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

iPhone. wrote: »
    ME might have to stop issuing Red Alerts in future for Dublin and start issuing 'Bread Alerts', think they'll take more heed!

Now that could cause many casualties and deaths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,150 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Netweather.tv totally wrong at the minute. Supposed to be snowing heavily here but nothing...clear skies.

Advertisement