Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Vxlks

D14 has had continous smoderate to heavy snow since 10am or so, currently bucketing down and sticking to things! Big fluffy fat flakes:D

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Proper snow in Limerick since morning and not letting up. The gritters and salt have made the city a slushy mess but outside the city is a snowfest!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

Still snowing heav in Dublin 15....really heavy....could easily be 40 cm here and it is to get heavier this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭thomasj

This is currently my back garden. Still snow falling, although lightly and it's windy as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Does anyone one else among the almost 100,000 people who live along the coast from Youghal to Carrigaline right down to Clonakilty feel a bit left out after that RTÉ news at one report? We’ve had the heaviest snow on the south coast here since 1947 with power outages and all roads impassable and we get a short report from Pascal saying that things are not too bad in the city? How come all of the other reporters were able to give details about conditions all around their area? Sorry, I’m not one of these people who generally complain about RTÉ but having been snowed in here since Tuesday evening with several feet of drifts outside, it seems like we’ve been forgotten about here.

Still snowing constantly since 8am btw. At least RTE weather reported a snow accumulation of 40cm in Cloyne in south Cork but if you blinked you would have missed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

No let up at all in Waterford City. Front garden wall (4ft) has been lost to the snow drifts; can't even see the top of it now. Car is buried halfway up in the driveway and still snowing steadily.

My partner has been told his workplace expect employees in at 6pm, but how they expect him to walk two miles in knee high snow is beyond me. Ridiculous expecting people to go out in this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Right going for a walk, might as well. Snow not bad, a light blast but grand

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

Any pictures of the comeraghs?

I'm not sure if the Comeraghs are still there, it's too white out :D I'll try to get pictures later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Proper heavy snow now in Dublin 9. Emma is sorting me out eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Is it to continue snowing in Galway all day today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Vxlks wrote: »
    D14 has had continous smoderate to heavy snow since 10am or so, currently bucketing down and sticking to things! Big fluffy fat flakes:D

Just about to say this. Heaviest I seen it.
    Has anyone put any weather updates on the site.
    Too many pages to look through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

jamesbere wrote: »
    Right going for a walk, might as well. Snow not bad, a light blast but grand

Yeah, I'm out since 9.30 and its about a foot or so deep, if not deeper in places. Mind the edges of the footpaths - the blend into the road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

some photos of dublin city center around 11am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Continuing to snow in Limerick, hoping the temperatures drop again and stop the thaw, the fresh snow isn't sticking to bare surfaces again yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭rodge123

Another pic 10km north of Kilcock.
    444247.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Still snowing in east cork, but think a slight thaw has occurred as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Hasn't stopped snowing in new Ross since about 3 aclock yesterday. Beautiful

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

It's still snowing in Cork City and still accumulating. I don't remember ever seeing this much snow in my life, although my mam reckons 78 may have been worse (or was is 82 - she can't remember). I went to bed last night at 1am, and there was just the fine dust coming down, but no string winds or anything and it's be snowing continuously since about 8am. While I did want to see what the blizzard conditions would be like, I'm kinda glad now we didn't get that, because it's made today very enjoyable. The place is so quiet with no traffic, and plenty of people out walking and messing around in the snow. Had to come in there because I couldn't feel my toes! While I'm amazed at some of the stuff in the rest of the country which may have been more extreme - this is Cork, and this is extreme for us anyway. A pair of dry socks and a bit of a warm and I'm off out in it again!

There were heavy snowfalls in Cork city in 1978, 1982 and 1987. In 1987 temperatures dropped so low that people were able to walk and cycle on the Lough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The emergency response guys seem to be thinking the country will reopen tomorrow.
    What a joke it's snowing constantly here in Cork and we be lucky to be back on the roads Monday. Gerry was on thus morning saying the snow would turn to rain today, he's backtracking on this now. He's proven poor enough on his advice compared to the female staff last 2 days....even if it rains tomorrow the roads are going to be a no go until very best case Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

D9Male wrote: »
    Proper heavy snow now in Dublin 9. Emma is sorting me out eventually.

If we could just lose a half a degree or that...very wet snow and not sticking to anything or cleared
    surfaces YET...but maybe in D9 we have one more bite despite the thaw we had earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Snowing fairly heavily near Santry but pretty impotent to tackle the thaw.

Needs to be heavier.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

Can't put a number on it but this is definitely the worst (best) I've ever seen in South West Laois. This is currently the heaviest it has been over the last few days. Its surely exceeding 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

John.Icy wrote: »
    If we could just lose a half a degree or that...very wet snow and not sticking to anything or cleared
    surfaces YET...but maybe in D9 we have one more bite despite the thaw we had earlier.

The short range on met.ie is saying that places which are at 0-1C now should be dipping back down to -0 and -1 within the next few hours: https://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

VzXAoYYb.jpg
    1mS1M9Yb.jpg
    jdWspD3b.jpg
    Aep2X5qb.jpg
    jkp8T5Yb.jpg
    iEhbtOmb.jpg
    774zTnJb.jpg
    zjZD5tub.jpg
    LyL9kvVb.jpg
    LBBbtANb.jpg
    p3sFLswb.jpg

The Glen, Cork City with bind and patio table shots for reference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

The seriousness of this event is hitting home now. I have run out of milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Just back from a walk in the countryside outside Naas. Apocalyptic scenes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Report from Kilpedder, North East Wicklow @ 70m ASL

Status at 08:00 hrs this morning :

11cm snowfall overnight and still falling heavily.
    Current temp -1.7c
    Pressure 987hPa, steady.
    Wind light, but with gusts.

Status at 13:30hrs

Snow has been falling consistently all morning - mainly light
    Level now at 12cm
    Current temp -0.7
    Pressure 987hPa, steady
    Wind light, no gusts

Attached photo's of N11 and local village, Newtownmountkennedy.

Advertisement