Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Heavy massive dinner plates now. Settling decently but the small snow last night was better for settling.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

By the Phoenix Park here. My God it has been snowing forever, and is tipping down still. I cannot open back door to feed the birds.

I hear there may be a thaw tomorrow. That scares the bejaysus out of me, bad and all as the drifts of snow are. When it thaws and freezes on top of that, the place will be like an ice rink. Driving dangerous off the main roads, and impossible to walk without slipping all over the place!

I tried to walk up the road earlier, but I sank into the snow nearly up to my knees. Came back quickly!

The forecast for me was spot on though, have to say. Getting a twitchy bit of cabin fever though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

It's been consistently heavy here in D14 near Rathfarnham Castle since around 11 or 12. There seems to have been a slight thaw, but would imagine it's added significantly to the depth we had earlier (I'm only guessing, as I'm finished with going outside for the day).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

There were heavy snowfalls in Cork city in 1978, 1982 and 1987. In 1987 temperatures dropped so low that people were able to walk and cycle on the Lough.

I sort of remember 78 - I was 4 though, and maybe memories of 82 have blended into it. I definitely remember 87, but this seems worse - probably because in 87 I didn't start very far outside my park and front garden. In 2010 we could walk on the Lough, and the ponds in the Glen froze over and my mad broke her hand trying to skate out on the frozen floods on the Lee Fields. The freeze in 2010 was worse alright, but this is epic snow.

Edit: My niece was born in March 95 and it snowed on that day too.

There's actually a semi thaw happening now, but it's still snowing - its dripping off trees and bushes a small bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Heavy massive dinner plates now. Settling decently but the small snow last night was better for settling.

Not settling on cleared paths and cars in Dublin 15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

If it gets back to minus figures tonight in cork I can't see how it will turn from snow to rain. I mean it's gonna happen I know and will most likely wake up tomorrow with half the snow gone down here. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Before and after the legend of a bro-in-law dug me a path.

Sallins, Kildare

28577232_10155102984896121_6810023187313590272_n.jpg?oh=ca3ba5ec301d94fef6030107b9842200&oe=5B3E9967

28685115_10155103093561121_6922891487583666176_n.jpg?oh=8d89f63636c0e867c30a75a13bc8dbe4&oe=5B4C75F4

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

endacl wrote: »
    Anybody else bored of snow yet?

:pac:

S02E07-dfRoII7Z-subtitled.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

I wonder if that front isn't stalling but just loading up from the Irish Sea.
    Gerry Murphy on RTE just after saying snow all day and tonight,rain a possibility from tomorrow.

Sure he said rain today,not a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

endacl wrote: »
    Anybody else bored of snow yet?

:pac:

Where's the thumbs down button?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

sdanseo wrote: »
    *RED ALERT*

Can confirm moderate dinner plates in Malahide for the first time since Wednesday.

Gone much finer again now. But if I didn't know better, I'd say this was a streamer, it's moving speedy enough.

61698d72e84191276f1704e58bedfa0c.png

• Registered Users Posts: 28,122 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Snow after breaking the gutters off my house :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I saw a photo taken by someone around the corner from me. Neighbours were out shovelling snow to make way for an ambulance. The neighbour was taken to hospital. Fair play to all involved, and hopefully the neighbour will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

It has just started snowing again in Athlone. Small flakes but getting heavier.
    There seemed to be a bit of a thaw earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Driving show in DUblin CC now but too wet to impact road etc. But must be adding nicely Justin inland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Driving show in DUblin CC now but too wet to impact road etc. But must be adding nicely Justin inland

The temperature is 1.3c. It could snow like this all day and away from snow covered areas it would not have any impact on the thaw whatsoever.

Temp needs to drop.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Heavy snow now in D13 not sticking due to thaw earlier it’s not sticking :(

Darwin wrote: »

Strangely enough there are drips of water coming from the icicles underneath the table, snow filling up and thawing at the same time.

We've the same here in Cork, very strange, but great to witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

Internet gone all day,folks are we expected to get more snow in the dublin region??

also i have to say this thread was amazing all week,some great info and also some craic,i thank ye all...much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MaccaTacca

Not sure how people think everything will be back to normal tomorrow.

Looking at the satellite maps, and listening to weather reports on the radio, it looks like the east coast still has another 12 hours or more, of heavy snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

Wondering what Dublin Road conditions are likely to be Monday morning? Have a 9am appointment in temple Street driving from North County Dublin. Don't intend driving over the weekend. Maybe Sunday to see how things are. Michelin cross climate tyres on the car. Car relatively new so not worried about battery etc. Will probably start it Sunday anyways.
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Was helping a stuck van driver in Lucan village earlier. Walked away when he suddenly threw the van into reverse while a few of us were still behind pushing! Idiot!

If it gets back to minus figures tonight in cork I can't see how it will turn from snow to rain. I mean it's gonna happen I know and will most likely wake up tomorrow with half the snow gone down here. :(

I got a message saying work is open at 8 in Ringaskiddy. I got another 5 minutes later from a work buddy who lives down that way saying not a chance. It's still snowing. This is the first time I remember going out in the morning and coming home at lunch time to more snow than when I left - normally here if it snows in the morning there's almost panic to get out in it before it melts by 11am :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Still no let up in snow here in Wicklow town. Easily a few cm added since this morning. Measured 20cm in the garden. Drifts more. Doesn't look like it's due to stop any time soon by look of radar! We waited long enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The temperature is 1.3c. It could snow like this all day and away from snow covered areas it would not have any impact on the thaw whatsoever.

Temp needs to drop.

It's a lot to do with radiative heating of the roads which still gets through and in March is strong - I'd estimate that from 6pm the snow will begin to lay more readily once again

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

revelman wrote: »
    Braved a walk (or a slow trudge) on the country road outside by house. The road itself looks like something form a David Attenborough documentary on the Arctic. Pic below.

Measurement on level part of driveway is 28cm I took a measurement on the lawn out of curiosity (I know this is not accurate because of air space) but have got 60cm or 2 feet on my lawn here on the south Cork coast. This is record-breaking for us. We have never gotten snow like this and the snow is still falling heavily!

444157.jpeg

444160.jpeg

Since I’ve taken these photos this morning, there has been a really significant accumulation of snow here near Kinsale. We have had constant heavy snow for almost 6 hours now and by all accounts we are to expect more later this evening and tonight. I’ll take another measurement in a couple of hours time.

Pascal on RTÉ news said things are not too bad in Cork but we have been hammered down here and I understand it is the same on the East Cork coast. I hate to say it but I’m getting sick of the snow now!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭blackvalley

revelman wrote: »
    Does anyone one else among the almost 100,000 people who live along the coast from Youghal to Carrigaline right down to Clonakilty feel a bit left out after that RTÉ news at one report? We’ve had the heaviest snow on the south coast here since 1947 with power outages and all roads impassable and we get a short report from Pascal saying that things are not too bad in the city? How come all of the other reporters were able to give details about conditions all around their area? Sorry, I’m not one of these people who generally complain about RTÉ but having been snowed in here since Tuesday evening with several feet of drifts outside, it seems like we’ve been forgotten about here.

Still snowing constantly since 8am btw. At least RTE weather reported a snow accumulation of 40cm in Cloyne in south Cork but if you blinked you would have missed it!

I take it your not " feeling the love"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Heavy snow accumulating here again. Proper big flakes now that the wind has eased somewhat.
    Temp falling too 1.5C

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Mod heavy wet snow. If it keeps up will get a nice top up (dalkey)

Advertisement