Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Anyone who dares venture out in a car in weather like this, just realize that if your car gets stuck, no one has much sympathy or will give much assistance.
    So many fools (yes, that's what they are) today trying to drive down Monread Road and getting towards the end to realise it is impassible.

Here is a picture outside Tesco Extra in Naas. A digger there trying to rescue people and struggling themselves.

Cars abandoned and I can't even say it is the side of the road because you can't see it, so when snow subsides, they are blocking the road.

6nSYDSOl.jpg

Oh, and Tesco is closed :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Light snow now again East Meath. Might halt the thaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Winds also starting to switch more to n/east , she seems to be starting to move inland a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

There was considerable thaw in Portmarnock, North Dublin this morning. Went out for a stroll and the large green near me was showing grass once again, with slush on the paths. Snow has started falling again in the last hour for the first time since late last night. No significant falls yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Lashing sleet and tiny ice pellets now. Melting eveything instantly on impact. Driveway will be clear in an hour at this rate.

Anyone getting into a car for a non emergency / farming / mercy mission should be taken out and shot (with snowballs). Stupid, criminal behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ Vance Green Napkin

Thaw set in this morning in this part of D15, lots of drips from the roofs and icicles. Seemed to stop a couple of hours ago so I guess the temp dropped over lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

[QUOTE=MaceFace;106317991]

Oh, and Tesco is closed :pac:[/QUOTE]

Slagging off the competition, eh? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Dublin 5 Snowing hard for the first time in 24 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭the 12 th man

The N81 is impassable to Blessington on both the Dublin and Baltinglass sides. It has not stopped snowing here for two days. Feels like the scene from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers up here,

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Slight thaw for an hour or too in Delgany but continued to snow and that after 10 hours of mad stuff. Up around 25/30cm total but very hard to tell because of drifting. Snowing heavily again now.
    We almost always fall on the rainy side of marginal but this seems locked in for the afternoon and evening.
    I have three seperate DRIFTS in the garden and I've decided to follow met.ie's lead by naming them. The biggest is called The Hump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Very little sign of any thawing in D16, and snowing nicely for the last hour or so

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Not sure if I am allowed to post a link from Facebook, but there's a video of people rescuing a woman out swimming in Sandycove. She's lucky to be alive. Madness to be out swimming in the conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's a lot to do with radiative heating of the roads which still gets through and in March is strong - I'd estimate that from 6pm the snow will begin to lay more readily once again

More ice pellets in with the flakes now here and starting to settle on some roofs that had thawed as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Very random. In D15 still getting high winds and snow. Impossible to get out of the estate. No sign of a thaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

If this snow carries on, we're going to lose the cars and sheds!! Still coming down fairly heavy up the Comeraghs in waterford...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/q0MTcCuRDp4XbQDK2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PZIFabJNXddiGJEk1

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

It's a lot to do with radiative heating of the roads which still gets through and in March is strong - I'd estimate that from 6pm the snow will begin to lay more readily once again

Near Newcastle and current snow is adding depth nicely still.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Dinner plates.

-0.2C

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Snowing a lot in D14..nice big fluffy plates, Im not too bothered about accumulations as it'll all be thawing tonight or tomorrow but its lovely to look out at and walk around in for the last day of the cold spell on top of all storm snow from last night. Finishing in style

If the snow had been like this during the storm last night maybe we would have seen a metre!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

MaceFace wrote: »
    Anyone who dares venture out in a car in weather like this, just realize that if your car gets stuck, no one has much sympathy or will give much assistance.
    So many fools (yes, that's what they are) today trying to drive down Monread Road and getting towards the end to realise it is impassible.

Here is a picture outside Tesco Extra in Naas. A digger there trying to rescue people and struggling themselves.

Cars abandoned and I can't even say it is the side of the road because you can't see it, so when snow subsides, they are blocking the road.

6nSYDSOl.jpg

Oh, and Tesco is closed :pac:

Don't be too hard on them, they must have run out of bread. Absolutely incredible scenes. I imagine this surpasses the snowfall of 1982 at this stage for those who have witnessed both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

No thaw here yet, infact it's still accumulating. Temp 0.8° c

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

Looks like Dublin is in for some heavy stuff very shortly according to the radar

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Thick snow falling in Greystones now after being light fall all day. I've another 3-4 mm after a brief thaw earlier. If that band off the Wicklow coast keeps providing fuel then it could be a long night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Constant heavy snow here in South Laois for the last 4hrs almost. After last night's snizzle fest, Emma is making up for lost time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Stunning photo. It snowed on the pyramids for the first time in 112 years

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Decent light to moderate snow in Dublin 16 and accumulating/sticking to the path I cleared earlier. -0.2c DP -1.0c.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Sustained heavy snow in raheny now, great to see after a quiet morning

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Markgc

Lady in Longford had to ring-up Joe Duffy in Dublin for help for sick husband.
    Where's the community?

Everybody stop posting and ensure your vulnerable neighbours are not in need.
    Many can be too proud or shy to ask for assistance.
    They may need a little fuel, food, milk..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

snow getting going here again, but is having no real impact. Well over an inch of snow has thawed since 10am. Still hoping some of the heavier snowfall over the Irish sea will make it's way here later this evening and have more of an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭rafared

Serious thaw underway in Drogheda. Everything gone slushy very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Still snowing away here in West Limerick. Constant now since about 10pm last night. Not heavy but constant and all staying on the ground. Local road fairly bad but 4x4's getting on ok. Went for a walk earlier. Beautiful. Quiet. The local shop about a mile away, a one man operation, was open and doing a roaring trade.!! No sign of a thaw either.

Advertisement