Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Everytime one of these cold spells happen in ireland it just makes me want to move to a cold country even more. I haven't experienced a cold spell that felt too long yet, honestly don't think Id ever get sick of snow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭Sarn

Oide2010 wrote: »
    Hi guys. Just wondering if anyone has any idea of when this snow will let up and maybe some thawing might happen? Sorry to the snow lovers, but really need to get to Dublin airport from D16/24 area on Sunday morning and getting really worried as it is vital we get out that day. Thanks!

We’re the opposite. Due to fly to Edinburgh tomorrow from Dublin but reckon it’ll be fairly miserable up there. Hoping the flights are cancelled. However, we reckon things should be back more or less to normal tomorrow apart from a few delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

beardo81 wrote: »
    Nice to be able to roll your eyes sarcastically in the comfort of your own home while people in healthcare have been in work for days on end assisting the sick. Real mature.

oh give over maude flanders, people are allowed enjoy snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Still going since 10am or so in Rathmines and flakes looking bigger too, lovely to look at

Hoping it eases up before it's dark to allow for a wander!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Here's a few from my area where it's still snowing pretty dam hard.

They'll need to call the army in I think. Otherwise we are here for a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

South east dublin defo back in business now. Constant moderate snow a bit wet but starting to accumulate

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

wakka12 wrote: »
    Everytime one of these cold spells happen in ireland it just makes me want to move to a cold country even more. I haven't experienced a cold spell that felt too long yet, honestly don't think Id ever get sick of snow

Try having kids ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭oscar2

"'If you can clear snow in Canada, why can't our government get it's act together.'"

Montreal costs $300m per year for snow clearing. There's a reason why its not practical for a Country like Ireland to prepare for a once in 20 year event.

https://twitter.com/JudithFlanders/status/958072934396039168

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

So is the whole emma thing definitely over and she's staying in the channel or is there chance of her continuing toward ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

I got a message saying work is open at 8 in Ringaskiddy. I got another 5 minutes later from a work buddy who lives down that way saying not a chance. It's still snowing. This is the first time I remember going out in the morning and coming home at lunch time to more snow than when I left - normally here if it snows in the morning there's almost panic to get out in it before it melts by 11am :D

No chance. I'm shocked work are telling people they are open at 8. I'm living in Shanbally and it's lashing with snow at the moment. Slight thaw at the moment too but if the temperature drops back again later tonight the roads will be lethal. Also my brother's work in IDA park carrigtwohill is cancelled shift tonight. Opening tomorrow at 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

wakka12 wrote: »
    So is the whole emma thing definitely over and she's staying in the channel or is there chance of her continuing toward ireland?

Over!

Go back a page and look at my photo of the 5' drifts covering the road - that was taken in Tipp 30min ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Markgc

Markgc wrote: »
    Lady in Longford had to ring-up Joe Duffy in Dublin for help for sick husband.
    Where's the community?

Everybody stop posting and ensure your vulnerable neighbours are not in need.
    Many can be too proud or shy to ask for assistance.
    They may need a little fuel, food, milk..

Another 70yo diabetic man with no heat in house. Only a small fan heater which KEPT HIM ALIVE last night; as Waterford Council refused him proper assistance. No-one calls in to see him. In Waterford CITY!
    Shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭RustyGate

Beanybabog wrote: »
    It has been snowing all morning in D14 (Goatstown) with no sign of letting up. Cabin fever kicking in! I have a one year old who can walk but bot terribly far, or in snow, and I certainly can't wheel her in a pram, or carry her as I'm 7 months pregnant, so I've been in since Tuesday night. Dying to get to the local shop only 200 metres away for some goodies!

If its anything like here, he local shop is probably closed. Tried to top up on stuff yesterday morning that I was running low on, but I might as well have on the top a mountain rather than the Dublin suburbs. Next time there is a whiff of a cold spell coming I'll be joining the panic buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

Ahahaha I’m actually in stitches

much obliged *hattip

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

Just spent the last 3 hours clearing footpaths and drainage channels. Snow is melting as it hits the cleared surfaces and I'm already seeing water running off from under untouched snow. Now is the perfect time to get out and make sure the water has somewhere to drain. Will save yourself a lot of hassle with slush / ice if it re freezes tonight. I'm in D7 (Ashtown area)

Has been an interesting couple of days. Drifts were up to 33" against walls in the garden. Don't remember snow that deep since we were digging snow tunnels in 1982 :D

Thanks to all the weather buffs here for keeping us well informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Heavier snow in Galway but not settling on bare surfaces. It is adding to older accumulations, my Snowman has hair now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Yeah because WISHING for snow has any impact on what the weather will actually do. Rolling my eyes so hard

Give them a pass will you?

72 hours in work is tiring - 72 hours in healthcare could be exhausting. Things that are normally insignificant grate on your nerves and things get old fast :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Moderate snow here with accumulation again temporarily reversing the earlier thaw. Dew points are becoming marginal, had a great day out in it with the kids, cannot complain!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭brevity

I finally got my snow :)

There is loads. Can only imagine what the place would be like had it been snowing like the rest of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

cnocbui wrote: »
    P3024719c.jpg

Spot the road.

Wow!
    Where in Tipp is that, cnoc?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Bloody hell, the two people on the far side were lucky not to get swept off by a wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Here's a few from my area where it's still snowing pretty dam hard.

They'll need to call the army in I think. Otherwise we are here for a week.

Proper day after tomorrow stuff, going to be a slow melt there.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Light snow still falling here in North Cork but there has definitely been a slight thaw over the past few hours - is snow scheduled to fall again tonight or will the thaw continue?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Whipping Boy

Really heavy in Sandyford and has been for the last few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Oide2010

M50 is fine and most main roads.
    You'll be fine by Sunday

Ok that's good to know, thanks. We're only 3 or 4 minutes from the m50 but getting out of the estate might be worst part! Fingers crossed! Thanks :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Thawing a lot here in East Cork now.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭sliabh 1956

ricero wrote: »
    Have to say tv3's coverage has been very good and frequent. Shame on our national broadcaster RTE, shocking coverage from them.

I tuned in this morning and they were showing an ITV show the were discussing the weather all right but it was UK weather. RTE are doing a wonderful job covering the weather since Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

I'm meant to be going from south dublin up to cavan tomorrow morning for a confirmation. Theres no way I will be able to get the car out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Advertisement