Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Just outside Galway city. It's been snowing hard all day but thawing rapidly, gone pretty slushy outside. If it freezes later roads could be treacherous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Did any/many places in ireland not see any snow accumulations during this event? Would love to see a nasa aerial of ireland from this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

This is why natural selection should be allowed to run its course

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Supercell wrote: »
    Proper day after tomorrow stuff, going to be a slow melt there.

I'm worried now that the thaw out my back will be an issue - potential flood etc.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

irishfeen wrote: »
    Light snow still falling here in North Cork but there has definitely been a slight thaw over the past few hours - is snow scheduled to fall again tonight or will the thaw continue?

Yeah has been a very slight thaw but very minimal really where I am. MT did an update a short while ago and should continue snowing until tonight at least. Hopefully we'll get a few heavier bits for a top up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Here is a video from my dad's in Athgoe Newcastle they are snowed in huge drifts blocking the road

So sorry it won't upload!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

marvsins wrote: »
    No chance. I'm shocked work are telling people they are open at 8. I'm living in Shanbally and it's lashing with snow at the moment. Slight thaw at the moment too but if the temperature drops back again later tonight the roads will be lethal. Also my brother's work in IDA park carrigtwohill is cancelled shift tonight. Opening tomorrow at 12.

I'm waiting on another text to tell me it's closed. There's no way Carrs Hill will be driveable if this keeps up. I'm working fairly close to where you live and unless it rains tonight and doesn't freeze I'm not moving in the morning. My buddy is in Carrigaline - not a chance he says! I might make it in by lunchtime, but there's no way I'll be in by 8. To be fair to them, the place is closed since Wednesday, and I'd say they're just going off the Met Eireann forecast. I'd reckon we'll be told stay home tomorrow too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Really heavy here in D14..wouldnt be surprised if the roads go white again. Fairly minimal thaw too, which is surprising given many other areas of dublin seem to be reporting a quick thaw/slush. Zero slush here and no significant reduction in snow depth on ground or cars or grass

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Didn't get any snow with Emma here. Stormy though and looks like rain. Some of your photos are epic! It's amazing to see all.the footage on TV too. Kind of glad we have escaped the worst of it though.

South Sligo
    90m asl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Back to fluffy flakes again here, light to moderate

Temp down again 1.2C

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Youghal is a pretty hilly place. Snow only makes things worse!

https://twitter.com/itsnicolehayes1/status/969233628961165314

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I tuned in this morning and they were showing an ITV show the were discussing the weather all right but it was UK weather. RTE are doing a wonderful job covering the weather since Wednesday

But not from along the Cork coastline though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

THinhs have really turned around in raheny, quiet morning but sustained snow now the pst 2 hours and starting to accumulate slowly again. Didn’t get much thaw at all today which surprised me by the coast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Avoca, Wicklow-still coming down..

vpvcCGTh.jpg

241DwTah.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Is the worst of it over Sherpa’s?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

ninja 12 wrote: »
    Woke up at 6am to 5 inches of snow in the garden (checked with measuring tape :) ) , with drifts of up to two feet in places .

The dog wasn't impressed .
    deleted pic

Cleared access to the back door , but it's been snowing heavily again for the last hour and is back piled high at the back door again , and all the snow I cleared has been well filled in .

Visibility is very poor

( not too far from Enniscorthy )

I posted here earlier about having 5 inches of snow in the garden .

Well , it's still snowing here ( not too far from Enniscorthy ) and now there's about 8 inches minimum , along with some high drifts .

444296.jpg

The two pics below show a set of chairs .
    One pic taken this morning , the other taken just now .

Chairs earlier-
    444297.jpg

Chairs just now-
    444298.jpg

There are some massive drifts on the road outside as well .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Still snowing here in North Tipperary. It hasn't stopped since late last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Since gerry took over the forecast the tone has been thaw...sleet..etc.
    Well I've news for you gerry cork is in the middle of a blizzard and heavy snow and the city is in lockdown

Can't agree, over exaggeration highest gust today was a mere 22km/h @ 13:32

At time of your post, a few were already posting a thaw, at thaw that now @ 15:10 is in full swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

Still snowing heavy enough here in Arklow. It's been like this since 7ish yesterday evening. Unbelievable stuff right now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Snowing heavily again and winds have whipped up.
    1.1C
    Dp-1.2C

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

jprboy wrote: »
    Wow!
    Where in Tipp is that, cnoc?

Ballina, up the hill towards Tintinna (sp?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

ninja 12 wrote: »
    I posted here earlier about having 5 inches of snow in the garden .

Well , it's still snowing here ( not too far from Enniscorthy ) and now there's about 8 inches minimum , along with some high drifts .

444296.jpg

The two pics below show a set of chairs .
    One pic taken this morning , the other taken just now .

Chairs earlier-
    444297.jpg

Chairs just now-
    444298.jpg

There are some massive drifts on the road outside as well .

Oh do I spot a Border Terrier there? I have 3 of them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Snow has become heavier and finer in Dublin 16. -0.3c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

P3024710c.jpg

I'm standing on one side of the piste (road) and the gate is on the other. I'm in a comparative hollow between drifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

Still snowing in Wicklow town. Officially now Epic. Hope it doesn't all get washed away later!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Unreal stuff, thanks to all for the pics, brilliant!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Hasn't stopped at all today in South side of Cork city.
    Well over a foot of snow, it's magical.
    Big thanks to all the experts for keeping everyone informed. This in my opinion has surpassed 2010 and I'm delighted my kids are old enough to remember it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Hasn't stopped at all today in South side of Cork city.
    Well over a foot of snow, it's magical.
    Big thanks to all the experts for keeping everyone informed. This in my opinion has surpassed 2010 and I'm delighted my kids are old enough to remember it!

Advertisement